Gameday food thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Gameday food thread

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'm making me hungry too!!!!

I've been out chainsawing downed trees today and I'm tired and hungry and hoping I can stay up until the game is over.

I'm a morning person and I hate primetime games, but if its the cost of being good and competitve, I'll take one for the team ;)
You're so selfless.

Chainsawing downed trees seems like far more manly preparation for a football game than working on vector art of a table saw, which is what I've been doing all day!

Just to stay on topic: it looks like I'm having filet mignon with roasted asparagus and red potatoes tonight.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: You're so selfless.

Chainsawing downed trees seems like far more manly preparation for a football game than working on vector art of a table saw, which is what I've been doing all day!

Just to stay on topic: it looks like I'm having filet mignon with roasted asparagus and red potatoes tonight.
I don't think you can complain ;)

Sounds good to me!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:Texas Vike,

One of my favorite restaurants here in San Antonio serves chilaquiles Mexico City style, which is so different than the typical tex-mex style and they are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! So good!

NICE.

What's the restaurant in SA? It is so surprisingly hard to find proper (interior) Mexican cuisine in TX. In Austin, there's an amazing place that I swear came straight out of my old neighborhood (Coyoacán, México DF) called "Fonda San Miguel". I go there every time I'm in Austin (at least once a year). Fort Worth has a couple of good places, but most are rustic Tex Mex. One of the main differences in the two cuisines is ingredients. Typically, Tex-Mex uses ingredients you'd never find in central/southern Mexico like American cheese, ground beef, etc. and the recipes seem less complex to me.

Lastly: I love cutting wood! I only do it when at our cabin in Northern MN, but man it's such a great work out and, as Jim said, straight up manly! Brings out a guy's inner-lumberjack!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:
NICE.

What's the restaurant in SA? It is so surprisingly hard to find proper (interior) Mexican cuisine in TX. In Austin, there's an amazing place that I swear came straight out of my old neighborhood (Coyoacán, México DF) called "Fonda San Miguel". I go there every time I'm in Austin (at least once a year). Fort Worth has a couple of good places, but most are rustic Tex Mex. One of the main differences in the two cuisines is ingredients. Typically, Tex-Mex uses ingredients you'd never find in central/southern Mexico like American cheese, ground beef, etc. and the recipes seem less complex to me.

Lastly: I love cutting wood! I only do it when at our cabin in Northern MN, but man it's such a great work out and, as Jim said, straight up manly! Brings out a guy's inner-lumberjack!
Its called Pancho and Gringos. The chef is not a fan of tex mex, yellow cheese, or greasy barbacoa! :) He cooks really great deli food and Mexican food. The last time we went there he gave us pork ribs marinated in citrus in a taco. You just pull the bone out and have a nice groove in the rib to fill up with delicious salsa and toppings. Good stuff.

I'm going to have to try Fonda San Miguel, looks awesome!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: don't think you can complain ;)

Sounds good to me!
I'm looking forward to it. :)
Texas Vike wrote:Lastly: I love cutting wood! I only do it when at our cabin in Northern MN, but man it's such a great work out and, as Jim said, straight up manly! Brings out a guy's inner-lumberjack!
Indeed and it's solid game prep. There's a lot of that on this board. Mansquatch has been known to wrestle a couple of sasquatches before a game. Craig H. occasionally fights off a horde of undead zombies as a warm-up for a Vikes contest and Josh has been known to put in as much of 12 hours of solid pre-game couch time as "training" for the 3+ hours of couch time he'll need to watch the game. He's a dedicated fan.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Its called Pancho and Gringos. The chef is not a fan of tex mex, yellow cheese, or greasy barbacoa! :) He cooks really great deli food and Mexican food. The last time we went there he gave us pork ribs marinated in citrus in a taco. You just pull the bone out and have a nice groove in the rib to fill up with delicious salsa and toppings. Good stuff.

I'm going to have to try Fonda San Miguel, looks awesome!
Awesome. It's on my list for the next time I'm in SA.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Indeed and it's solid game prep. There's a lot of that on this board. Mansquatch has been known to wrestle a couple of sasquatches before a game. Craig H. occasionally fights off a horde of undead zombies as a warm-up for a Vikes contest and Josh has been known to put in as much of 12 hours of solid pre-game couch time as "training" for the 3+ hours of couch time he'll need to watch the game. He's a dedicated fan.
:lol:

Whatever floats your boat!

Tonight I'm prepping by playing tennis--not exactly manly! But I love it, and thank goodness for DVR, so I can get my exercise AND catch the game!
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

A schmmooke and a pancake
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The authentic Mexican food in this thread is awesome. I love MOLE. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Up here in the MN I've yet to find any local eatery that offers it an edible form. So sad after having it at Bayless' place as well a neat joint in Salt Lake City.

On the Margaritas though, yes sir! My wife and I make our own mix. Syrup made with Agave Nextar and a lot of fresh lime juice. Add Patron. Top Floor Please! I think I have to replenish that pitcher every 2 weeks during the Summer. Now that it is the fall, I agree with the fella above on the Oatmeal Stout. Yum.

The "Rib" Taco described above sounds delightful. I might have to try that. Like I need another excuse to smoke more ribs. I need that like I need a hole in the head!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:The authentic Mexican food in this thread is awesome. I love MOLE. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Up here in the MN I've yet to find any local eatery that offers it an edible form. So sad after having it at Bayless' place as well a neat joint in Salt Lake City.

On the Margaritas though, yes sir! My wife and I make our own mix. Syrup made with Agave Nextar and a lot of fresh lime juice. Add Patron. Top Floor Please! I think I have to replenish that pitcher every 2 weeks during the Summer. Now that it is the fall, I agree with the fella above on the Oatmeal Stout. Yum.

The "Rib" Taco described above sounds delightful. I might have to try that. Like I need another excuse to smoke more ribs. I need that like I need a hole in the head!
Hahaha.

If you don't already include it, start adding Cointreau to your margaritas. It will take it to a whole different level! Also fun is to make cucumber and jalapeño margaritas in a large container. Dangerous, but fun.

In MPLS there is a solid contingent of folks from Mexico now. It's been years since I lived up there, but when I was in NE there was a market on University (I think) that had solid stuff. I am pretty sure East Lake has a lot of businesses and eat street (Nicollet, down south) has some decent restaurants.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

mansquatch wrote: So sad after having it at Bayless' place as well a neat joint in Salt Lake City.
You remember which one?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Red Iguana.

My dream skiing vacation would be 100" of Wasatch Powder and Dinner every night at that place.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Salt Lake is amazing for skiing. Great snow and reasonably priced. The only place I like better is Big Sky but it's expensive and can get ridiculously cold (I've been where it was so cold they had to shut down the lifts).
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote:Salt Lake is amazing for skiing. Great snow and reasonably priced. The only place I like better is Big Sky but it's expensive and can get ridiculously cold (I've been where it was so cold they had to shut down the lifts).
The owners of Big Sky are obviously not Vikings fans. :D
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Smoking spare ribs & wings today...getting ready to fire up.
36 degrees this morning.