Gameday food thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Gameday food thread

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Bayless is hard to beat. The man knows his Mexican flavors. :)

I haven't tried the chili starters but I use a number of the other Frontera products. The seasoning sauces are great for tacos. That's the direction I'm leaning for Monday's game: steak tacos. However, I might get some pork and use the Frontera Garlic Pork Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce to make carnitas. I have a packet of it here and it's nice to use the slow-cooker for night games. Smelling the food cooking all day creates even more anticipation for the game!
I lived in Mexico for 4 years and my wife's from Mexico City. Love Bayless. He gets it. He does a lot based in Oaxaca, where we lived for a few years and which is a culinary shangri la.

You guys are inspiring me; maybe I'll bust out the mole recipe or enchiladas suizas and make some margaritas on the rocks. MMMMM!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I lived in Mexico for 4 years and my wife's from Mexico City.
Cool! I've always wanted to go there.
Love Bayless. He gets it. He does a lot based in Oaxaca, where we lived for a few years and which is a culinary shangri la.

You guys are inspiring me; maybe I'll bust out the mole recipe or enchiladas suizas and make some margaritas on the rocks. MMMMM
!

That sounds delicious.

If you've got a good mole recipe, I'd love to have it. I'm still trying to find the 'right' one.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Cool! I've always wanted to go there.
!

That sounds delicious.

If you've got a good mole recipe, I'd love to have it. I'm still trying to find the 'right' one.

Hahaha, we cheat! My suegra (mother in law) brings us a huge cargo once a year from the markets. It comes in a paste that only requires chicken stock and heat to make into proper consistency and absolutely divine black mole delight. In Chicago, I'm guessing you could find a really authentic place that makes large quantities of the paste I'm talking about (perhaps Bayless has suggestions on his website). Proper Oaxacan/ Pueblan Mole has so many ingredients and is so complex that I leave it to the experts. I would love to learn how to make it some day, though. What kind do you make, and how long does it take you?

By the way, Jim, do make a trip to Mexico City. It's such an interesting place, and very, very underrated, IMO.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Cool! I've always wanted to go there.
!

That sounds delicious.

There's a cookbook called "Enchiladas: Aztec to Tex-Mex' by Cappy Lawton and Chris Waters Dunn. I would have to recomend it! The Enchiladas de Cameron (Shrimp) and the Enchiladas de Barbacoa (beef tongue and cheeks) are AWESOME. Eventually we will cook our way through the whole book. It has a recipe for Enchiladas de Mole Rojo. I will send a review after we try it!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Hahaha, we cheat! My suegra (mother in law) brings us a huge cargo once a year from the markets. It comes in a paste that only requires chicken stock and heat to make into proper consistency and absolutely divine black mole delight. In Chicago, I'm guessing you could find a really authentic place that makes large quantities of the paste I'm talking about (perhaps Bayless has suggestions on his website). Proper Oaxacan/ Pueblan Mole has so many ingredients and is so complex that I leave it to the experts. I would love to learn how to make it some day, though. What kind do you make, and how long does it take you?

I've tried a few recipes I found online but neither was quite what I wanted. I don;t even remember where I found them at this point.They both required about 8-10 ingredients and took an hour or so to make (perhaps that's part of the problem). There's a pretty intensive Rick Bayless recipe I'd like to try making. I haven't been ambitious enough to do it yet though:

http://www.kitchenmonki.com/recipe/Rick ... ed_Chicken
I'll get there one of these days! I want to see the city and the archeological site of Teotihuacan.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:There's a cookbook called "Enchiladas: Aztec to Tex-Mex' by Cappy Lawton and Chris Waters Dunn. I would have to recomend it! The Enchiladas de Cameron (Shrimp) and the Enchiladas de Barbacoa (beef tongue and cheeks) are AWESOME. Eventually we will cook our way through the whole book. It has a recipe for Enchiladas de Mole Rojo. I will send a review after we try it!

Please do! Thanks for the tip on the book. I just added it to my Amazon wish list.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Carnitas sauce is fantastic, I usually do 2 pouches for a 6# shoulder. Serve it with a nice Carlonia Vinegar sauce. Awesome.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Hand made Bison Burger on a pretzel bun with a cranberry chutney and a smithwick oatmeal stout.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

IrishViking wrote:Hand made Bison Burger on a pretzel bun with a cranberry chutney and a smithwick oatmeal stout.
Sounds intriguing. Its hard to beat a good burger. We are just going with Wings tonight.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike,

One of my favorite restaurants here in San Antonio serves chilaquiles Mexico City style, which is so different than the typical tex-mex style and they are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! So good!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

IrishViking wrote:Hand made Bison Burger on a pretzel bun with a cranberry chutney and a smithwick oatmeal stout.
What time should I be there?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Texas Vike,

One of my favorite restaurants here in San Antonio serves chilaquiles Mexico City style, which is so different than the typical tex-mex style and they are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! So good!

What are the differences in the two styles?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
What are the differences in the two styles?
Everywhere else I have had them, (tex-mex style) the tortillas are soaked in egg and cooked together, kind of like Matzo Brei, or savory Kaiserschmarrn. Evidently, Mexico City style the tortillas are soaked and fried in the ranchero sauce, the egg fried over easy on top with queso fresco and cream, finely chopped white onion and cilantro. I'm just going based on how this particular restaurant serves it, which they say is Mexico City style, and is unbelievably delicious. My wife has mastered the ranchero salsa recipe which is just mind blowingly good.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: Everywhere else I have had them, (tex-mex style) the tortillas are soaked in egg and cooked together, kind of like Matzo Brei, or savory Kaiserschmarrn. Evidently, Mexico City style the tortillas are soaked and fried in the ranchero sauce, the egg fried over easy on top with queso fresco and cream, finely chopped white onion and cilantro. I'm just going based on how this particular restaurant serves it, which they say is Mexico City style, and is unbelievably delicious. My wife has mastered the ranchero salsa recipe which is just mind blowingly good.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I have to say, the Mexico City style sounds superior. I like the idea of the tortillas being soaked and fried in the ranchero sauce.

You're making me hungry.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I have to say, the Mexico City style sounds superior. I like the idea of the tortillas being soaked and fried in the ranchero sauce.

You're making me hungry.
I'm making me hungry too!!!!

I've been out chainsawing downed trees today and I'm tired and hungry and hoping I can stay up until the game is over.

I'm a morning person and I hate primetime games, but if its the cost of being good and competitve, I'll take one for the team ;)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins