Gameday food thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Gameday food thread

Post by Jordysghost »

What are you guys making/buying/grilling up for tonight?

I was going to order pizza and wings but I know someone who works at the place and he says everyone working there is sick (lol) so.. yea, that is not happening.

Im just going to roll with some chinese takeout tonight, but what about you guys? I know at least some of you probably are barbecueing up something tasty.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Gameday food thread

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:What are you guys making/buying/grilling up for tonight?
I'm making an apple cider beef stew. It'll be slow-cooked for about 10 hours and it should be ready by kickoff.
I was going to order pizza and wings but I know someone who works at the place and he says everyone working there is sick (lol) so.. yea, that is not happening.
That does sound like a bit too much of a gamble...
Im just going to roll with some chinese takeout tonight, but what about you guys? I know at least some of you probably are barbecueing up something tasty.
Chinese take-out is never a bad idea (if it's from a good place anyway).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do beverage-wise. I'll have to see what I have in the fridge.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I haven't decided. Chinese does sound good...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

:beerock:

Grilling some salmon and have a bottle of moscato in the fridge.

Also have some sierra nevadas lined up, in case I'm feeling it. 8)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote::beerock:

Grilling some salmon and have a bottle of moscato in the fridge.

How are you seasoning that salmon and what are you having with it? I'm partial to grilled or roasted asparagus with salmon.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote: I'm making an apple cider beef stew. It'll be slow-cooked for about 10 hours and it should be ready by kickoff.
That does sound like a bit too much of a gamble...
Chinese take-out is never a bad idea (if it's from a good place anyway).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do beverage-wise. I'll have to see what I have in the fridge.
Mm that certainly sounds good!

Yea, ill have to go pick up chinese as opposed to having it delivered but its only 15 minutes away by car so more then worth it for sparing me influenza.

Oh man, this place is so good, so unassuming too, just a little box looking place on a corner next to a much larger dunkin donuts on the same building, they are hiding the best wantons you will ever encounter in there though. :thumbsup:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Yea, ill have to go pick up chinese as opposed to having it delivered but its only 15 minutes away by car so more then worth it for sparing me influenza.

Oh man, this place is so good, so unassuming too, just a little box looking place on a corner next to a much larger dunkin donuts on the same building, they are hiding the best wantons you will ever encounter in there though. :thumbsup:
There's a place like that in the town next to where I grew up. It's carry-out only, little more than a kitchen with a counter out front for transactions, but they make the best Mongolian Beef I've ever had!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

How are you seasoning that salmon and what are you having with it? I'm partial to grilled or roasted asparagus with salmon.

It's wild caught Alaskan salmon that comes soaking in a marinade. I'm not sure what the marinade contains, but I love it! I like to make a salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette and red apple slices, bacon and feta or goat cheese. It's to die for. And couscous as a side. It all goes well with the moscato.

How do you grill asparagus, Jim? I usually fry it in a pan with garlic and olive oil, but I'd love to learn to grill it.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Since my wife is working today, I'm suppose to cook dinner and have it ready when she gets home (1930 local time). But the game will be going on by then. I'll probably just order up some Buffalo Wild Wings and tell her to pick it up on the way home. I can't bring myself to be cooking while the game is on.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:It's wild caught Alaskan salmon that comes soaking in a marinade. I'm not sure what the marinade contains, but I love it!
Are you sure it's not just seawater? ;)
I like to make a salad with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette and red apple slices, bacon and feta or goat cheese. It's to die for. And couscous as a side. It all goes well with the moscato.

That sounds really good!
How do you grill asparagus, Jim? I usually fry it in a pan with garlic and olive oil, but I'd love to learn to grill it.
There's not much to it. here's a link that will explain it better than I could.

When roasting it, I lightly coat it in olive oil and toss it with a bit of sea salt (you don't need much), a dash of pepper and a liberal sprinkling of parmesan. Then I lay it out on a cookie sheet and roast it at 450 degrees for about 7 or 8 minutes. I take it out, flip the pieces, and roast it for another 6-8 minutes. The result is amazing. The asparagus gets very juicy inside but the tips get nice and crispy. I'm addicted to it.

It's best when roasting or grilling to use thicker stalks. The thin ones will work but not as well (and you need to use shorter times).
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Are you sure it's not just seawater? ;)

That sounds really good!
There's not much to it. here's a link that will explain it better than I could.

When roasting it, I lightly coat it in olive oil and toss it with a bit of sea salt (you don't need much), a dash of pepper and a liberal sprinkling of parmesan. Then I lay it out on a cookie sheet and roast it at 450 degrees for about 7 or 8 minutes. I take it out, flip the pieces, and roast it for another 6-8 minutes. The result is amazing. The asparagus gets very juicy inside but the tips get nice and crispy. I'm addicted to it.

It's best when roasting or grilling to use thicker stalks. The thin ones will work but not as well (and you need to use shorter times).

Hahaha, well if there's a sea with that kind of water, I'd swim with my mouth open. I love the stuff.

Your asparagus recipe sounds great. I'll try it soon.

The worst part of playing the night game is waiting! One of those brown ales is just begging me to drink it, but I don't want to start tying one on either! Otherwise I'll be cross eyed by game time. This morning the game day anxiety pushed me to paint the trellis I'd built, nothing like a hands-on project to make time pass... but dang, there's still 4.5 hours! Might have to go cut the grass.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Hahaha, well if there's a sea with that kind of water, I'd swim with my mouth open. I love the stuff.
That's just how the fish do it. :)
Your asparagus recipe sounds great. I'll try it soon.
I think you'll like it!
The worst part of playing the night game is waiting! One of those brown ales is just begging me to drink it, but I don't want to start tying one on either! Otherwise I'll be cross eyed by game time. This morning the game day anxiety pushed me to paint the trellis I'd built, nothing like a hands-on project to make time pass... but dang, there's still 4.5 hours! Might have to go cut the grass.
Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have work to do between now and game time so my mind will be adequately occupied. I do hate the wait though. The game has been on my mind all day.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Fired the smoker up and smoked 10lbs of wings.

[img Image][/img]
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

The wait all day for night games is a killer. Luckily I had some assignments to work on for law school that helped kill time. I'm just glad it's not a Monday Night game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

drooool....