NFL to eliminate kickoffs?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL to eliminate kickoffs?

Post by dead_poet »

Just heard Goodell said that to the Washington Post. Don't have a link yet. What do you think?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: NFL to eliminate kickoffs?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Stupid. There is no truth that there are more injuries on kickoffs than other plays. I hate Goodell and everything he has done, with the exception of making the last week of the season all divisional games.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Just heard Goodell said that to the Washington Post. Don't have a link yet. What do you think?
I think I might hate Roger Goodell.

Seriously, I think it's a terrible idea. Lawyers and rules makers are eventually going to ruin the game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... hem-safer/
In 2012, Time reported that Goodell had discussed a proposal to eliminate the kickoff with Greg Schiano, then the coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. One of Schiano’s former players at Rutgers, Eric LeGrand, suffered a severe spinal injury on a kickoff.

Under Schiano’s proposal, the team that scores a touchdown would retain possession of the football for a fourth-and-15 play at its 30-yard line. The team could opt to punt the ball to its opponent, or try for a first down in a bid to retain possession.

That would address what others within the sport have called one of the main obstacles to eliminating the kickoff. Any such rule change, they have said, might have to contain a mechanism allowing for the slim-chance possibility that a team trailing late in a game could get back possession of the football, as is now the case with the onside kick.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Sooooo, they think punt returns are safer than kickoffs? GENIUS!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Sooooo, they think punt returns are safer than kickoffs? GENIUS!
:rofl:
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Cliff wrote: Sooooo, they think punt returns are safer than kickoffs? GENIUS!
Well, I mean, they are.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:Well, I mean, they are.
Maybe they are (I don't know what the injury stats say or if there are even stats on the subject publicly available) but if, as the WP article above says, "The sport’s leaders have regarded the kickoff as an unusually hazardous play because would-be tacklers get a running start to race down the field toward potentially violent collisions with blockers and the returner" then aren't punts still problematic? I know they're different from kickoffs because they start at the line of scrimmage but on punts, you literally still have players "race down the field toward potentially violent collisions with blockers and the returner".
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I wonder if the clock would run on the 4th & 15 play. What if a team retook the lead after the TD with seconds left to play. They could elect the 4th down play and run out the clock without the other team having a chance to get the ball. I'd imagine with some creative running around plus throwing the ball into the stands, it would be easy to tick off 5-7 seconds. Possibly more.

Or, what if they pull a Randall Cunningham, set up like they're running a play and then have the QB punt the ball?

It just sounds dumb all the way around.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Maybe they are (I don't know what the injury stats say or if there are even stats on the subject publicly available) but if, as the WP article above says, "The sport’s leaders have regarded the kickoff as an unusually hazardous play because would-be tacklers get a running start to race down the field toward potentially violent collisions with blockers and the returner" then aren't punts still problematic? I know they're different from kickoffs because they start at the line of scrimmage but on punts, you literally still have players "race down the field toward potentially violent collisions with blockers and the returner".
Actually it depends on what you mean by "safe" the more I think about it. Punt returns are less safe for the returner but kick returns are more dangerous for everyone involved. Everyone running full speed rather than blocking on the line. It's a numbers game rather than an individual thing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Actually it depends on what you mean by "safe" the more I think about it. Punt returns are less safe for the returner but kick returns are more dangerous for everyone involved. Everyone running full speed rather than blocking on the line. It's a numbers game rather than an individual thing.
It might be a numbers game but a punt return is still another play where multiple players race down the field toward potentially violent collisions with blockers (and the returner) so if that's the concern, I'm not sure how Schiano's proposed solution would really address the problem. :confused:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If you want to make the NFL more safe

get rid of all steroids and other things that makes guys too strong and heavy for their frames

increase the active roster to 60 players all active in games.. that way teams can rest at risk guys
or possible concussion guys and still stay in games.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Stupid. There is no truth that there are more injuries on kickoffs than other plays. I hate Goodell and everything he has done, with the exception of making the last week of the season all divisional games.
Agreed. Especially when we have the best KO returner in the game. Its as much part of the game as the extra point is, and almost as safe, unless im missing something. They should be focusing more on helmets and concusions, KO return penalties are part of the game, thanksfully a small part. goodell sucks. Cant believe the rest of the NFL doesnt see how bad he is for football.