View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The German Unicorn 
Defensive Tackle

Post Re: The German Unicorn
S197 wrote:
Right, when you are paying a guy the minimum salary vs 1st round money, it affords you more flexibility.

Sure, but it's the expenditure of a 6th round pick on such a long shot that's so questionable, not the idea of investing time and energy into developing a player.

Quote:
Thielen is another player who they've given several years and looks like he could potentially pay dividends this year.

Yes, but that's an apples and oranges comparison. Thielen played 4 years of college football and was undrafted. He had considerably more experience, more developed skills and they didn't spend a draft pick on him.

Quote:
And that might really be key to MoBo, can he contribute on special teams like Thielen was able to.

It will be a big key.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:55 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
Right, when you are paying a guy the minimum salary vs 1st round money, it affords you more flexibility. Thielen is another player who they've given several years and looks like he could potentially pay dividends this year. And that might really be key to MoBo, can he contribute on special teams like Thielen was able to.

anybody heard anything about Thielen? I swear he left the last game with an injury but I haven't heard a peep about it. Hopefully just a turned ankle or I misread what I saw.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:56 pm
Defensive Tackle

fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:
Right, when you are paying a guy the minimum salary vs 1st round money, it affords you more flexibility. Thielen is another player who they've given several years and looks like he could potentially pay dividends this year. And that might really be key to MoBo, can he contribute on special teams like Thielen was able to.

anybody heard anything about Thielen? I swear he left the last game with an injury but I haven't heard a peep about it. Hopefully just a turned ankle or I misread what I saw.

I looked for injury info on him Friday and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming that means he's okay.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:05 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

I remember seeing him grimace after one of his receptions and it looked like he was holding a leg.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:39 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

I remember seeing him grimace after one of his receptions and it looked like he was holding a leg.

Was it his leg? :tongue:

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 am
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
S197 wrote:

I looked for injury info on him Friday and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming that means he's okay.

He wasn't listed on the latest injury report. Must've been a minor thing.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:15 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Was it his leg? :tongue:

Funny. Spanish grammar seeps into my English at times. Nice catch!

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:26 am
Waterboy

S197 wrote:

I did have the luck to be in the Minneapolis aree and so being a German I was happy to get a ticket for this impressive new stadium and enjoyed a nice game day. Of course I purchased my 81 team shirt and saw him in action for one play. Well it was the third pre-season game and so I did not expect anything else.
Never having played football I still believe he did a good job and pushed the gunner out of bounce. Well I think he needs time just as many of all those other drafted wr need as well. So I hope very much he is going to get the chance.
I don't know how he performs in training so I cannot judge that, but every player needs not only training but also game play. I do understand that, what you don't do during training you won't do during a game, still I believe a real game and the surroundings to it enhance the performance for a lot of people.
But even should he have played in the 4th quarter and he wouldn't have had a real chance to show his receiver skills except for blocking cause of the about 15 Viking plays 12 of them were running plays.

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:32 pm
Strong Safety

Quote:
I don't know how he performs in training so I cannot judge that, but every player needs not only training but also game play. I do understand that, what you don't do during training you won't do during a game, still I believe a real game and the surroundings to it enhance the performance for a lot of people.
But even should he have played in the 4th quarter and he wouldn't have had a real chance to show his receiver skills except for blocking cause of the about 15 Viking plays 12 of them were running plays.

I honestly think the Vikings are going to try and put him on the practice squad this year. The guy has Mike Evans measurables .. so we will see if he ever really makes
a huge splash... I love the long shot players and really hope in time this guy really does something great(deep down I know he is still a long shot) but I will continue
to hope for the guy. I am glad you got see a good game...

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:28 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I think he will land on the PS as well. He is athletically gifted and very intelligent as well as coachable. All he needs is more time to understand what he needs to do to make that jump. Although a long shot he is well worth a PS spot.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

I finally got around to watching the fourth preseason game. Just before Ham's TD in the 4th quarter, Rick Spielman was in the commentating booth with PA and Bercich and he summarized the GU's background thus:

"You're taking a High school player, essentially, and putting him in the NFL"

As a logical follow up question, I wish PA had asked him if the NFL incentivized our selection of him in some way.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:47 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
I finally got around to watching the fourth preseason game. Just before Ham's TD in the 4th quarter, Rick Spielman was in the commentating booth with PA and Bercich and he summarized the GU's background thus:

As a logical follow up question, I wish PA had asked him if the NFL incentivized our selection of him in some way.

That would have been a nice follow-up question, especially since the Vikings GM had just admitted to spending a draft pick on the equivalent of a high school player!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:54 am
Packers Suck

Texas Vike wrote:

I sure hope not, but I if it did, I doubt that anyone would just straight up say it.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:57 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Jordysghost wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I sure hope not, but I if it did, I doubt that anyone would just straight up say it.

Of course not. The point isn't Rick's answer, but to ask the obvious question and to watch the politician craft his answer. Your GM just said that they spent a 6th round pick on a guy who played in the equivalent of a HS level league: IMO he's essentially BEGGING you to inquire about the rationale behind the pick.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:04 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Texas Vike wrote:
Jordysghost wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Of course not. The point isn't Rick's answer, but to ask the obvious question and to watch the politician craft his answer. Your GM just said that they spent a 6th round pick on a guy who played in the equivalent of a HS level league: IMO he's essentially BEGGING you to inquire about the rationale behind the pick.

That's one of the many reasons I can't stand Paul Allen. I have to believe there are so many other choices who could do a better job than him in the preseason. Whenever the referee would make a call (penalty, etc.), he would quickly say his "prediction" like an idiot and then be all proud of himself when he was right (it was almost always obvious, so it isn't like he was going out on a limb).

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety

Quote:

We drafted him because he is 22 years old and has about the same combine numbers as Mike Evans ....

I realize he is a long shot, but wouldn't it be great to see him become a pro bowler ....

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

jackal wrote:
Quote:

We drafted him because he is 22 years old and has about the same combine numbers as Mike Evans ....

I realize he is a long shot, but wouldn't it be great to see him become a pro bowler ....

It would be great to see him play an NFL down in the regular season.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:24 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

jackal wrote:
Quote:

I felt like why they drafted him was obvious. He has tremendous athletic potential but not much football polish. The question is can he get the polish and develop in 2-3 years. IMO that makes sense as a 6th rounder. A better question might be why they risked a late round picks on WR vs OL?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:05 am
Fenrir

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

That would have been a nice follow-up question, especially since the Vikings GM had just admitted to spending a draft pick on the equivalent of a high school player!

If he turns out to be like Kobe Bryant I'm okay with that analogy :D

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:36 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

If he turns out to be like Kobe Bryant I'm okay with that analogy :D

Me too!

I guess that's my point. There are plenty of HS players stateside with impressive measurables and the air of promise. IF it were allowed, would NFL teams draft them in rounds 6 or later? Perhaps even earlier? It's kind of mind blowing, given our other needs and after drafting Treadwell in round one and having an athletic freak who is lacking refinement/ knowledge already on the roster (CP84).

Had I been in the booth, I would have pressed Rick a bit after his comment.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:17 pm
Career Elite Player

Recent interview with MoBo (translated)

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... ranslated/

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

808vikingsfan wrote:
Recent interview with MoBo (translated)

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... ranslated/

Thanks for posting this.

A lot of posters will be watching him through camp and preseason with high hopes. I'll be interested to see if he's gained some polish and shows any indication of potentially cracking the roster, but I will remain skeptical.

As an aside: Interesting that he misses Kebabs and not traditional German cuisine!

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2