5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterso

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I respect agnosticism, and ultimately we have to be somewhat agnostic over the question of why Patterson isn't getting snaps despite his awesome talent, but it does truly befuddle me that you seem so much more inclined to believe in a claim that nobody has made - not patterson, not the media, not the quarterback (who would benefit from having his best weapons available), to the best of my knowledge, not even Patterson's agent - rather than the statements of Turner, Zimmer, Patterson himself, scouts, and area press. Somehow this notion of the inflexibility of the coaching staff has become an impernitrable barrier, and unanimous evidence to the contrary - unspecific though it may be - is discounted. I respect your doubts about the accuracy of all these statements, and if you were merely agnostic I wouldn't find it hard to understand. I just can't follow the giant leap of faith to get beyond that.
:lol: It doesn't require a leap of faith, just inductive reasoning. I'm hardly the only one who's reached a similar conclusion and it's a logical, evidence-based conclusion that doesn't require a claim from any of the people you listed above, or the media, to be valid.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Disclaimer: This is pure speculation on my part.

I find the stubborness thing to be unpersuasive. Mostly because i think it is impractical. Zimmer and Turner have been coaching at the professional level for 30+ years. That doesn't happen by accident. There are always people wanting the jobs they have so they have to exhibit a certain level of competence to stay employed. Also, look at how rare an NFL caliber athlete actually is. A coach at this level is not going to be able to just say "I can't work with this guy". The reality is there might not be anyone else with the talent that the team can acquire since the other 32 teams are looking for that guy also. Obviously there is a degree of severity to this. One time wouldn't tolerate a Pac Man Jones while another would, but that is a case where the guy in question was a felon, not some immature kid.

I think part of the issue is non-professionalism on CP84's part vs. a general bias of this coaching staff towards hard working, professional players. Maybe the staff felt that the cost of his non-professionalism was too great vs. the gains? (Fumbles, lost yardage etc.) Could it be that given the state of the OL and teams relative inability to come back from a large point deficit made it more risky to have his explosiveness on the field? Maybe they could tolerate one fumler (AP), but not two. In that case AP always wins. Perhaps they felt he was too one dimensional to be viable? When we as on the field last year he wasn't blowing anyone away and lost yardage on several occasions. Again Risk v. reward?

CP also has done plenty to hurt his case. Zimmer tried to get him a mentor and CP flatly refused. That is going to be off-putting to anyone.

I hope the guy succeeds. If he doesn't it will be unfortunate, but we have to figure with all the early round picks that Rick has done in the past few years that at least one of them would bomb out.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Hopefully this lights a fire under CP84s #### and he has a amazing year and we win the SUPERBOWL!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: :lol: It doesn't require a leap of faith, just inductive reasoning. I'm hardly the only one who's reached a similar conclusion and it's a logical, evidence-based conclusion that doesn't require a claim from any of the people you listed above, or the media, to be valid.
I understand now, thanks. :)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
AllDay
Rookie

Post by AllDay »

Well, that was obvious.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Or are they? Same thing happened with Charles Johnson (even though he had a fractured rib it sounds like for a good chunk of the year). Same thing happened to Robert Blanton (now, I liked Blanton, he wasn't 'great' but he was better than Sandejo). Same thing to extent happened with Josh Robinson.

I don't see this coaching staff giving Cordarrelle a chance. It shouldn't be that hard to get him the ball at least once a game.
I just don't buy it. CJ and Blanton were both given starting jobs at some point in the season. In CJ's case, he had a productive first year and we really don't know if last year was due to injury or other factors. Then you have Captain Munnerlyn. Wouldn't you say he got a second chance after a rather abysmal 2014? He came back strong and kept his starting position.

I have a hard time believing a coaching staff would hold a grudge against a player to this degree. The ultimate goal is winning or else you lose your job. You don't stash players on the bench unless there's a reason.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Physical talent just isn't as important as doing your job to this staff. If Teddy had an accurate rocket for an arm and could scramble like Vick but didn't fully understand the route a receiver was supposed to run on a given play and so threw the ball to the wrong side of the field 5-6 times every game he'd probably be on the bench too.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Physical talent just isn't as important as doing your job to this staff. If Teddy had an accurate rocket for an arm and could scramble like Vick but didn't fully understand the route a receiver was supposed to run on a given play and so threw the ball to the wrong side of the field 5-6 times every game he'd probably be on the bench too.
Maybe if there was a viable option behind him... ;)

Seriously, I know what you're saying, Cliff, but then I look at how many games Sendejo, Clemmings and Fusco started last year and I can't help asking if doing the job is really the top priority. Clemmings, in particular, did a terrible job all season and if I'm not mistaken, he still started every game.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:
Maybe if there was a viable option behind him... ;)

Seriously, I know what you're saying, Cliff, but then I look at how many games Sendejo, Clemmings and Fusco started last year and I can't help asking if doing the job is really the top priority. Clemmings, in particular, did a terrible job all season and if I'm not mistaken, he still started every game.
That's true, comparing those positions is very difficult. With The offensive line, I'm just not sure there were better options there either. So instead, how about we speculate that Diggs was having similar problems to Patterson, I expect we'd still be seeing Charles Johnson.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: That's true, comparing those positions is very difficult. With The offensive line, I'm just not sure there were better options there either. So instead, how about we speculate that Diggs was having similar problems to Patterson, I expect we'd still be seeing Charles Johnson.
That works. :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

S197 wrote:I just don't buy it. CJ and Blanton were both given starting jobs at some point in the season. In CJ's case, he had a productive first year and we really don't know if last year was due to injury or other factors. Then you have Captain Munnerlyn. Wouldn't you say he got a second chance after a rather abysmal 2014? He came back strong and kept his starting position.
That's part of the double standard Jim, several others and myself have been questioning. It doesn't make sense. Patterson has a rookie year where he shows how explosive he is when he touches the ball and now he can't get on the field? The Vikings field an abysmal passing game last season and an offense that settled for field goals too often and Patterson couldn't have been any help?

Trust me, you're not the only one who isn't buying into this bizarre dynamic. As a fan, after watching Patterson's success with Frazier and Musgrave, I'm in no mood to give Zimmer and Turner a complete pass here. Anything having to do with Patterson not being able to run routes, catch the ball, or make big plays means his rookie season never happened.
S197 wrote:I have a hard time believing a coaching staff would hold a grudge against a player to this degree. The ultimate goal is winning or else you lose your job. You don't stash players on the bench unless there's a reason.
Exactly. If a player has proven to be an explosive weapon, then he shouldn't be on the bench. So what's the deal? The only excuse I've heard or read that seems remotely logical is Patterson doesn't fit into Zimmer/Turner's offensive system and philosophy. Zimmer is a brilliant defensive coach and a smart disciplinarian but if the offensive philosophy doesn't include a guy like Patterson, then I wonder if Bridgewater's conservative playing last season really was all on Teddy. Maybe he was coached to be cautious to a fault. Just guessing here (as we all are).
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

OL is different that WR. Who was going to play RT besides Clemmings? You could move Harris out like they did in 2014, but then who would play RG? I don't find that reasoning persuasive, who is this magic back up that we didn't play last year?

You guys are very focused on CP84's explosiveness, but what about his weaknesses? Could it be that the coaching staff felt the net gain in explosiveness of going from Wallace or Diggs to CP was offset by the increase in mistakes? The team is not some static thing and the positions do not play in silos. How they interact with one another is very important.

My guess is that the fact that this was a ball control team that survived on field position and defense played a part in CP's playing time. This was not a team that could easily overcome getting down by 2 scores. A guy who might have big play potential, but who also makes more frequent errors could likely be a net negative given the overall fragility of our 2015 passing game.

I don't see how the scenario I just outlines is any more or less likely to be the case than the coaches having a grudge. My sense is there is a lot of projection going on with regards to this topic. It seems like quite a stretch that a coach with Zimmer's pedigree, one who obviously knows how to get results on defense, the secondary in particular, would be a total incompetent when coaching a WR. Are the two tasks really that far apart?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:OL is different that WR. Who was going to play RT besides Clemmings? You could move Harris out like they did in 2014, but then who would play RG? I don't find that reasoning persuasive, who is this magic back up that we didn't play last year?
OL is a different position but my point about Clemmings was made in reference to a general statement about the philosophy of this coaching staff (ie; Physical talent just isn't as important as doing your job to this staff). I said nothing about a magical backup, just used a few examples of players who didn't handle their starting jobs very well to ask a question.
You guys are very focused on CP84's explosiveness, but what about his weaknesses? Could it be that the coaching staff felt the net gain in explosiveness of going from Wallace or Diggs to CP was offset by the increase in mistakes? The team is not some static thing and the positions do not play in silos. How they interact with one another is very important.
I understand that and it's all been said before. He's barely played in a year and a half. Couldn't he have actually improved in that time? He's been working and apparently, the Vikings have an outstanding coaching staff. They've produced no results?
My guess is that the fact that this was a ball control team that survived on field position and defense played a part in CP's playing time. This was not a team that could easily overcome getting down by 2 scores. A guy who might have big play potential, but who also makes more frequent errors could likely be a net negative given the overall fragility of our 2015 passing game.

I don't see how the scenario I just outlines is any more or less likely to be the case than the coaches having a grudge.
I'm not arguing that they have a grudge.
My sense is there is a lot of projection going on with regards to this topic. It seems like quite a stretch that a coach with Zimmer's pedigree, one who obviously knows how to get results on defense, the secondary in particular, would be a total incompetent when coaching a WR. Are the two tasks really that far apart?
Yes, they're pretty different but Zimmer doesn't coach the WRs anyway.

Coaches are human. They make mistakes in judgment. They can be stubborn or inflexible or just wrong, regardless of their pedigree. It happens to the best of them.

They can be right too, of course. :)

We can speculate forever. It will just lead us back to where we are now.The bottom line is Patterson's talent has been squandered. As we've said many times, he's not incompetent. It would certainly be possible to use him more than he was used last year and to get the ball to him without it supposedly resulting in a series of setbacks that would cost the team games. Way too much has been made of his supposed incompetence, of this idea that it's a liability just to put him on the field. Certainly more has been made of it than can be seen on film. One of the reasons the 2015 Vikings couldn't easily overcome getting down by 2 scores was because they struggled to score. They could have used more offensive firepower, more explosive plays. That's Patterson's game. Just take a look at the one game in 2 seasons under this coaching staff where he was able to touch the ball more than once while Peterson was a part of the offense.

I don't mean any of this to sound dismissive. I've just been frustrated for a long time that we've had to speculate about this and I haven't seen a satisfying answer as to why Patterson can't at least play a role in the offense that makes use of what he does well. :confused:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Yes and Zimmer doesn't coach the WRs anyway.

Coaches are human. They make mistakes in judgment. They can be stubborn or inflexible or just wrong, regardless of their pedigree. It happens to the best of them.

We can speculate forever. It will just lead us back to where we are now.The bottom line is Patterson's talent has been squandered. As we've said many times, he's not incompetent. It would certainly be possible to use him more than he was used last year and to get the ball to him without it supposedly resulting in a series of setbacks that would cost the team games. Way too much has been made of his supposed incompetence, of this idea that it's a liability just to put him on the field. Certainly more has been made of it than can be seen on film. One of the reasons the 2015 Vikings couldn't easily overcome getting down by 2 scores was because they struggled to score. They could have used more offensive firepower, more explosive plays. That's Patterson's game. Just take a look at the one game in 2 seasons under this coaching staff where he was able to touch the ball more than once while Peterson was a part of the offense.
Very well said. I agree fully with your response here, Jim. You're so right about the offense needing more horsepower. The Vikings needed to finish drives with touchdowns instead of field goals. I think Patterson would have been helpful.

Regarding Zimmer, it's only a stretch to believe he might actually be wrong about something if one believes he's entirely infallible. I don't. I doubt Zimmer would either.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I've grown to accept his fate at this point, on one hand I think our offense was so bad a weapon like patterson should have been used, on the other hand, I remember the last time he had meaningful playing time screaming at my TV "GET THIS IDIOT OFF THE FIELD" as he botched route after route. I forget what game that was, it was Teddy's rookie year, probably the last game Patterson started before he lost the job, all I remember is that I had seen enough and I'm sure Zimmer and Norv had seen enough as well.

bottom line, receivers you can't trust lead's to interceptions and bad things happening. There was a giants game, I forget who they were playing but Reuban Randle ran the wrong route in the redzone and Eli threw a pick that eventually cost them the game and Randle got benched.

Coughlin decided to take the risk with the reward and it burnt him, we didn't get to see Patterson burn us because we decided to play it safe, which isn't surprising since that was basically the mentality of the entire offense.

After that it's just a bunch of unknown, if Patterson hasn't improved then there's no way you can play him. Everyone saying he should be playing is assuming he's made progress, the coaches clearly think otherwise and they're the ones that get to study him and watch him practice. I find it hard to go against them when they've been fairly spot on with most other things.

It's likely he will play for another team and if he succeeds or fails there is about the only way we'll really get some kind of answer on the subject. Unless of course everything clicks for him this season and he lights it up in purple or we're ravaged by injuries and he's forced to start and fails again.