Vikings Draft Strategies

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Vikings Draft Strategies

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Ever heard of Cian Fahey? I came across his work about a year or so ago and have found him to be one of the very best detailed oriented non-traditional football analysts out there. Here's his take on where the Vikings stand less than two days before the start of Round 1:
http://presnapreads.com/2016/04/23/its- ... a-vikings/
In truth, the Vikings have picked the wrong offseason to find offensive pieces. This class lacks talent at the skill positions, especially compared to the past two years, and the main strength comes at running back where they are committed to Peterson.
Doctson is the only WR worth taking in the first round. Arif Hasan did a detailed review of receivers a week or so ago and the number of WRs who ran in the 4.6s that were successful in the NFL are very few and far between. Treadwell's best was 4.63 (not to mention a poor vertical to go along with that). How does he get separation in the NFL with that lack of speed? Coleman basically ran three routes at Baylor 90% of the time (Cordarrell anybody?). Fuller is Mike Wallace. If Doctson is off the board we're better off trying to find someone in the 2nd; maybe trade up for Michael Thompson if we have to.

One area I disagree with Fahey on is Taylor Decker. Like him as a prospect but don't see him as a good fit for us this year.

My ideal scenario is having Paxton Lynch on the board at #23. If that happened I think we would get some very good offers to move down. Lynch is barely a first round prospect in my book so in a normal year he would likely be there at #23. This year there seems to be an extreme amount of QB grade inflation going on (Carson Wentz going #2 overall is just nuts). That being the case, someone is very likely going to reach on Lynch and take him many slots ahead of where he should go in a more normal year for QBs.

Maybe we'll have a replay of 2013 and we get lucky with someone falling. Floyd. Sharrif Floyd in 2013 and Leonard Floyd in 2016. Barr - Kendricks - Floyd. Can only imagine what Zimmer could do with a trio like that.