Rams picks vs Titans picks

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Who got the best deal with 2016 draft picks?

Titans
83%
Rams
No votes
Good for both
No votes
Bad for both
17%

Total votes: 12

GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Rams picks vs Titans picks

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Who made out best in this deal?
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Rams picks vs Titans picks

Post by GoldenBear91 »

To me, every single pick can be a great one - year after year we see stars come up out of late rounds and even undrafted free agents! So I would much rather be in the driver seat of the Titans and have 6 of the top picks in the first 76 spots (whatever it is...)

Who are the rams trying to get at the #1 spot that is so valuable?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

GoldenBear91 wrote:To me, every single pick can be a great one - year after year we see stars come up out of late rounds and even undrafted free agents! So I would much rather be in the driver seat of the Titans and have 6 of the top picks in the first 76 spots (whatever it is...)

Who are the rams trying to get at the #1 spot that is so valuable?
A Franchise QB.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It was highway robbery.
The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).

Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).
So the Titans still have a first round pick this year. Two extra second round picks and an extra 3rd round pick. They lost a 4th rounder. Plus they get the Ram's (I'm willing to be fairly high) draft pick next year as well as an extra 3rd rounder.

That's some high confidence in a single player. That's 6 players from the top 3 rounds the Rams traded for 1. I don't see how you could look at this any other way but a huge win for the Titans. I'd be ridiculously happy if the Vikings were able to make that kind of trade. Too many eggs in one basket between a QB busting, injury, and counting on the QB to elevate the rest of the roster. This QB *has* to be an eventual hall of famer and he'll have to look like it very quickly for this trade to seem good for the Rams.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good lord why can't the Vikings ever be on the good side of a trade like this. Apparently no one learned from RG3 you don't mortgage your future for ANYONE. Actually, when has a mega-trade like this ever worked for the team giving up that many picks? The only one I can think of is Julio Jones.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

So QB's will be going 1 & 2nd picks. Titans are still in a good spot in round 1.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

In terms of trade value, I think the Rams were fleeced but I have to wonder if this move was more about selling tickets in a new location than about making a smart football deal. Young QBs tend to energize a fan base and bring hope. Did the Rams make this move to begin anew in L.A. with a new QB? Is this a move to say, "Hey, new Rams fan base, are you wondering which jersey to buy to support your team? Buy this Goff jersey and come out to see him play on Sundays!

I'm thinking they must be targeting Goff, who just finished his college career playing at the University of California, right in that area.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Man two firsts
two seconds
two thirds

that is insane

If the Rams don't get an awesome HOF type guy that
was a horrible trade...

I agree Jim I think this is about hype and ticket sales ....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I don't think the Rams were in a situation where this came down to ticket sales.

I think they just want a franchise QB.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rams had no choice but to trade up for a quarterback

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... uarterback
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote:I don't think the Rams were in a situation where this came down to ticket sales.

I think they just want a franchise QB.

Obviously... I assumed that was a given at this point. I was just suggesting other factors may have influenced their willingness to pay such a substantial price to trade up to draft one.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:In terms of trade value, I think the Rams were fleeced but I have to wonder if this move was more about selling tickets in a new location than about making a smart football deal. Young QBs tend to energize a fan base and bring hope. Did the Rams make this move to begin anew in L.A. with a new QB? Is this a move to say, "Hey, new Rams fan base, are you wondering which jersey to buy to support your team? Buy this Goff jersey and come out to see him play on Sundays!

I'm thinking they must be targeting Goff, who just finished his college career playing at the University of California, right in that area.

I think that is part of what is going on here.

LA is a tough market. SoCal, in general, is a tough market for the NFL. It seems most folks from the area would rather spend Sundays on the beach or in the mountains than watching football. At least that's the vibe I get when I spend time there (which used to be frequently). They definitely want to generate some hype for the new team and it's a smart PR move to that end, but as a football decision I think it may hurt them long term.

This could really help Tennessee build a strong core around Mariotta. Nice to be a TENN fan today!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Titans are going to be a good team in a few years.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote:
Obviously... I assumed that was a given at this point. I was just suggesting other factors may have influenced their willingness to pay such a substantial price to trade up to draft one.
Im thinking they have a guy they are/must be 'Sold' on.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

if the guy they pick, which according to Sports illustrated's Mike Silver who is the west coast team
insider it going to Cal Bear's QB Goff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGafktM5r4

Basically Jeff Fisher and their GM deserved to be fired, if this guy isn't a top QB
in three years time IMO.

Personally I like Wentz better... I would have not have made that trade
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!