2016 draft: Receivers

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet »

#Iowa WR Tevaun Smith about to make the team who picks him in the later rounds happy, #ProDay results: 4.33/4.4, 38 VL, 10'2 BJ, 3.94 Short
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Jordysghost wrote:
Which further supports my statement that WRs are a dime a dozen.

Im not opposed to a first round pick at WR, but he has to have a special kind of skill set that doesn't come along all to often. You can find quality WRs anywhere in the draft on a rather consistent basis, the same cant be said about the big guys.

Saying that any position is a dime a dozen is quite simply imprecise. Now that you've explained yourself (a great deal more) I see that you mean that quality WRs can be found in mid-rounds. That's pretty self-evident. The link DP posted is a very interesting analysis of where to find value at various positions in the draft.

I don't really care if we go WR in the first round, but I do want to invest in the position somewhere in the first 4 rounds. As the article points out, the Pack and Pats have consistently chosen WRs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and it's a strategy that's paid off for them. There are some quality guys we ought to be considering at 23, or perhaps trading into the top of the 2nd for.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:
I know Tevaun personally. I am pulling for him. As I am with the rest of my Hawkeyes.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: I know Tevaun personally. I am pulling for him. As I am with the rest of my Hawkeyes.
I found his time interesting. He doesn't seem to play that fast. Will be interesting to see if he's drafted. The Hawks don't have a great track record with receivers.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

You guys, Treadwell may be there for the taking.

---

Laquon Treadwell - WR - Player
Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell ran unofficial forty times of 4.65 and 4.63 at his Pro Day.

The numbers are not unexpected, but they are disappointing for a player thought to be the best receiver in this year's class. At 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, Treadwell creates separation with his size, route-running and ball skills, so the athletic concerns are not a death knell. Still, it is tough to justify taking a receiver who runs in the 4.6s and posted a 33-inch vertical at the combine early in the first round. Treadwell remains a day-one pick, but he is unlikely to be taken in the top 10.

Source: John Glennon on Twitter Mar 28 - 11:55 AM
---

Related: I'm coming around on OSU's Michael Thomas in a pretty big way.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

According to scouts in attendance: Treadwell
short shuttle: 4.25
3 cone: 7.05
Not great either
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:You guys, Treadwell may be there for the taking.

---

Laquon Treadwell - WR - Player
Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell ran unofficial forty times of 4.65 and 4.63 at his Pro Day.

The numbers are not unexpected, but they are disappointing for a player thought to be the best receiver in this year's class. At 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, Treadwell creates separation with his size, route-running and ball skills, so the athletic concerns are not a death knell. Still, it is tough to justify taking a receiver who runs in the 4.6s and posted a 33-inch vertical at the combine early in the first round. Treadwell remains a day-one pick, but he is unlikely to be taken in the top 10.

Source: John Glennon on Twitter Mar 28 - 11:55 AM
---

Related: I'm coming around on OSU's Michael Thomas in a pretty big way.
Honestly I thought he would run a little slower after watching him on tape and seeing that he chose not to run at the combine.

He's certainly not a high measurable guy, and I'm not certain Rick is going to want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't a special athlete.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Honestly I thought he would run a little slower after watching him on tape and seeing that he chose not to run at the combine.

He's certainly not a high measurable guy, and I'm not certain Rick is going to want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't a special athlete.
I will not be surprised if a team picking before the Vikings makes the question moot.

For me, the bigger question is whether Spielman will force a WR at #23 even if Treadwell is there.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Doctson is not the only TD maker in this class. Lawler scores every 5.3 catches. My sleeper pick is up
http://vikingsterritory.com/2016/scouti ... nny-lawler
Pros

Good size and length with outstanding production in the red zone.

Plays physical and uses his hands well.

Can high point and pull down contested throws.

Great body control with excellent timing and anticipation.

Good athlete with open field wiggle.

One of the quickest releases from the line of scrimmage in this class.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

i'm a fan of lawler as well. i don't like to judge players on their youtube videos alone, but he makes a ton of tough contested catches. hard not to like what you see.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

slapnut19 wrote:
i'm a fan of lawler as well. i don't like to judge players on their youtube videos alone, but he makes a ton of tough contested catches. hard not to like what you see.
He performed well in the reception perception metrics I posted as well. Reminds me a bit of Sidney Rice.
dead_poet
Commissioner

2016 draft: Receivers

Post by dead_poet »

Metrics/analytics to dive deeper in this receiving class.

The Combine to Uncover Pass Catchers

http://coldomaha.com/2016/vikings/combi ... -catchers/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Scouting report on Treadwell:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/14/ ... ce=twitter

Yowzers. I'm no longer OK with taking Treadwell at #23.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:
Yowzers. I'm no longer OK with taking Treadwell at #23.
This might make you feel a bit better if he were the "consolidation prize."

http://youtu.be/8Jf3BG5XK88