Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting contract structure.
#Jaguars signed LT Kelvin Beachum to a 1-yr, $4.5M deal… with a 4-year option worth $40M, source said. Creative with Beachum off an ACL
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Via Kevin Seifert...
VP of officiating Dean Blandino used video examples to explain the NFL's stance on the catch rule to reporters. Blandino repeated the new three-step mantra: A legal catch requires possession, two feet down and a subjective degree of time with possession. His presentation made sense, but most observers seem to have made up their minds on the rule. Even Blandino admitted that sometimes there will be plays that look like catches but aren't called that way.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

At owners meeting
A portion of Super Bowl Committee time was spent trying to improve the Pro Bowl. Among the options were increasing incentives for players.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:At owners meeting
It would really be more fun if they just turned it into American Gladioters or American Ninja Warrior with the best NFL players. Crown the best all around athlete at each position group each year, and don't waste time on a football game played at half speed.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

They're going to have to pay players significantly more, especially the stars, if they expect them to play harder. At the least they should give them as much as they'd make on a game check with a floor so low paid but high performing players still get a good chunk. Then the winners will need some kind of bonuses.

If they don't want to drop that kind of money (or at least near it) they need to completely change it up. I personally think the amount of viewers that kind of game would garner with players actually trying would make up for what they'd pay the players but I'm sure the NFL has already done that cost benefit analysis and they haven't changed, so ...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:They're going to have to pay players significantly more, especially the stars, if they expect them to play harder. At the least they should give them as much as they'd make on a game check with a floor so low paid but high performing players still get a good chunk. Then the winners will need some kind of bonuses.

If they don't want to drop that kind of money (or at least near it) they need to completely change it up. I personally think the amount of viewers that kind of game would garner with players actually trying would make up for what they'd pay the players but I'm sure the NFL has already done that cost benefit analysis and they haven't changed, so ...
Exactly. Paying more for attending won't do anything for the quality of the game itself. The only way I can see that maybe happening is if they offer significant injury insurance which, of course, they never will.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This makes me disappointed. I want to see the numbers that prove the kickoff is one of the most dangerous plays. If that's true, why isn't that data available? If it "ebbs and flows" can you really make said conclusion? What is your "control" group? Do you also study other plays? If the data supports the conclusion (by a statistically significant margin than OK, but I have my doubts).

One day soon it won't make sense to return a kickoff

http://es.pn/1Rg3icK
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

rule changes:
As expected, key Comp Committee moves passed - permanent move for PAT distance, eliminate chop block, direct comm b/n coaching box-players
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

For #Vikings offense, new rule means OC Norv Turner could talk directly to Teddy instead of going through QB coach Scott Turner.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL owners approval automatic ejection and new touchback rules. Touchbacks in NFL now will be brought out to 25-yard line.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Not only are Rams doing this summer's Hard Knocks, they also are expected to play a regular-season game in 2018 in China.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
further devalues kick returners. a 35 yard return from 10 yards deep is now the equivalent of a touchback. Kind of a bummer. They are trying to move it to a point where the kickoff is just eliminated.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lesson from today: NFL coaches coach. Owners own, and make the rules, and pay the salaries, and decide all of the things.
...Kevin Seifert
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: further devalues kick returners. a 35 yard return from 10 yards deep is now the equivalent of a touchback. Kind of a bummer. They are trying to move it to a point where the kickoff is just eliminated.
Yeah, I'm not happy with this change.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Text from one ST coach on touchback rule: "There'll def be more high, short kicks and squib kicks." Expects more creativity to pin teams.
And to build on that, potential unintentional consequence ... More high, short kicks would likely mean more kills shots on returners.