Peyton Manning Says Goodbye

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... t-from-nfl

Peyton Manning made it official today: he's retired. I caught some of his press conference and it was moving. He handled it well and it was clearly emotional for him. The man clearly loves football and appreciates everything it's given him.

It's going to be strange not to see him playing. I'll miss watching him.

Thanks for the memories, Peyton!
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Peyton Manning Says Goodbye

Post by Cliff »

The press conference was really good.

Great player. I'll miss watching him play as well.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

very skilled and very hard worker ...

I respected Peyton a lot as a player....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

As far as QBs go, I didn't hate him. That's pretty high praise for a QB from me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

So I guess I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that I always was annoyed by how much praise he got.

Don't get me wrong. He was one of the best of all time, but it seems like the discussion was always "is he THE best?". He never seemed to be in control throughout a postseason run, and that is hard for me to reconcile. The two times he won the Super Bowl the team didn't get huge contributions from him.

He was very good, but I don't think he was as good as seemingly everybody gave him credit for. For my money, Tom Brady was/is better

Congratulations to him on what was a truly fantastic career, though.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:So I guess I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that I always was annoyed by how much praise he got.

Don't get me wrong. He was one of the best of all time, but it seems like the discussion was always "is he THE best?". He never seemed to be in control throughout a postseason run, and that is hard for me to reconcile. The two times he won the Super Bowl the team didn't get huge contributions from him.

He was very good, but I don't think he was as good as seemingly everybody gave him credit for. For my money, Tom Brady was/is better

Congratulations to him on what was a truly fantastic career, though.
Tom Brady is inferior in every single statistic outside of the postseason, but I agree, Mannings post season production makes it hard to put him above Brady, but with that said, I think Brady had the benefit of a better surrounding cast and cheating scandals, so it is a tough desicion.

Manning was the most statistically proficient QB to ever play the game, for a moment. That says alot about the type of player he is/was.

I think I feel towards Favre a similar feeling you have towards Manning.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011