Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Just Me wrote: I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.
He also wanted tyo bench Favre in a game we were winning at the time.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I remember being close to the field at the Metrodome a fan yelled out to him, "
Hey Childress lets pick it up a little, huh" Childress flashed a look of terrible
rage and then smiled!"I remember thinking dam!!!that guy has trouble dealing with
others..." :shock:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

don't we still refer to it as " Chilli Ball"? Good luck Chiefs
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.
I looked it up to get a better understanding. To give any idea of exactly how much control Childress had over that 2009 offense ...
By the third quarter of Minnesota's Sunday night loss to the Carolina Panthers, head coach Brad Childress had reportedly had his fill. Several reporters, including Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press and Judd Zulgad of the Minnesota Star-Tribune indicate that Childress tried to bench Favre in the third quarter, when the Vikings were up, 7-6. Zulgad said this on his Twitter page:

Favre sat (in) conversation on sideline looked heated in third (quarter) because Childress wanted to take Favre out. The QB declined to come out.
"Yeah, there was a heated discussion, I guess you would call it," Favre said after the game. "We were up 7-6 at the time. No secret, I was getting hit a little bit. I felt the pressure on a lot of plays. We had seven points. So I think everyone in the building was like, ‘They're not moving the ball, they're not getting points.' Brad wanted to go in a different direction and I wanted to stay in the game.

"We were up 7-6. Yeah, it's not 70-6, but we're up 7-6. So I said, ‘I'm staying in the game, I'm playing.' I don't know if it was exactly to protect me, or we had seven points, I'm not sure. That's his call. But we talked it out. We didn't have time, I didn't have time to sit there and say why or what. My response was, we've got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can. Now, unfortunately, I didn't do that, but that was my intention."
Childress tried to bench Favre and he just told him no :lol:

I get the feeling that Favre didn't have any problem ignoring his play calls.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Oh ... and ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-offense/
Werder, who cites multiple team sources in support of his report, claims that the talk regarding the possible removal of Favre from multiple games arises not from a desire to protect Favre, but from Favre’s tendency to change the plays that have been called.

(Given the subtle pro-Favre tone of the report and Werder’s history of interviewing Favre and lack of history specifically covering the Vikings, it’s not a stretch to conclude that Favre is one of Werder’s sources.)

Werder also reports that Favre resents that Childress “seldom” discusses the game plan with Favre, and that Childress rarely asks for Favre’s input. And when Favre changes the play, Childress “bristles,” even when the audible works.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Laserman wrote:don't we still refer to it as " Chilli Ball"? Good luck Chiefs
Lucky for them there's no way that incompetent will ever actually be calling plays.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload"

"Seam route?"

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload!"

"Seam route has been open all day boss."

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload! Run the damn dive play!"

"Ok. Hey Sidney get ready for a seam route."

"####"
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

S197 wrote: "Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload"

"Seam route?"

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload!"

"Seam route has been open all day boss."

"Power I Left AP Power Lead Dive Overload! Run the damn dive play!"

"Ok. Hey Sidney get ready for a seam route."

"####"
:point:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

slapnut19 wrote: his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.
Favre was a bit more then competant in 2009.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Well he supposed to be a QB guru Yet he hung his whole Head Coach career on Tjoke. Enough said
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont think Norv is a whole lot worse at calling plays then CHildress would be. And thats bottom of the barrel stuff.