Adrian Peterson -- The elephant in the room

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Adrian Peterson -- The elephant in the room

Post by Mothman »

The contract is clearly set up in such a way that, if Peterson is with the Vikings after 2016, it will be under a renegotiated deal. They aren't going to pay him $18,000,000 in 2017.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:The contract is clearly set up in such a way that, if Peterson is with the Vikings after 2016, it will be under a renegotiated deal. They aren't going to pay him $18,000,000 in 2017.
Basically it was a year by year contract for '15, and '16. Its a smart way to schedule a contract with a 30 plus RB.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jeg067 wrote: $11M next year, 18 in 2017, no guaranteed money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vi ... -peterson/

YEAR..AGE..BASE.SALARY......SIGNING.BONUS...ROSTER.BONUS...WORKOUT.BONUS...CAP.HIT............DEAD.CAP
2015...29...$11,000,000........$2,400,000.........$2,000,000......................................$15,400,000......$15,400,000
2016...30...$7,750,000.....................................$3,000,000..........$250,000.............$11,000,000
2017...31...$11,750,000...................................$6,000,000..........$250,000.............$18,000,000
2018...32...UFA
So it looks like, by dropping him this year, the Vikes would save a ton of money. And even the years after that, but next year would save us the most. Which will never happen because we are moving into a shiny new dome, with his face all over it. God, I hope Norv can get over run, run pass soon.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote:The contract is clearly set up in such a way that, if Peterson is with the Vikings after 2016, it will be under a renegotiated deal. They aren't going to pay him $18,000,000 in 2017.
Ahh didnt see your quote before i posted. He is going to make a lot of money either way. I just wish we didnt rely on him so much.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: So it looks like, by dropping him this year, the Vikes would save a ton of money. And even the years after that, but next year would save us the most. Which will never happen because we are moving into a shiny new dome, with his face all over it. God, I hope Norv can get over run, run pass soon.
I hope the vikings run run pass every single possession next season and put up 37 points a game...just so I can laugh.

There are more red herrings on this board than there are fish in the sea.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I didn't check this thread after the Seattle game.
I don't think there is any way they move AD this offseason. Yeah, he makes too much money for an NFL RB these days....but he's been the face of the franchise and the heart of the team for the majority of his career. I understand Kapp's POV and don't necessarily disagree with it from a dollars and sense perspective. If they weren't moving into the new stadium I mights think differently, but I can't imagine there's anyone in the organization that does not want him on the field in the new diggs next year.
He's still very effective and draws a lot of attention from defenses. Norv has to do a much better job of being creative in his use of him. A lot of that falls on to the laps of TB and the line. I'm also squarely in the camp of them needing to mix McKinnon in much more. I think it would make all of them more effective and help give defenses some pause.
And lastly, I think Zimmer should have a camel, dressed in purple, on the sideline for when AD fumbles. After a fumble AD has to sit on the camel, wearing his crown and remain regally stoic, until they get the ball back. It would sell tickets....kids dig camels.

:ripple:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I didn't check this thread after the Seattle game.
I don't think there is any way they move AD this offseason. Yeah, he makes too much money for an NFL RB these days....but he's been the face of the franchise and the heart of the team for the majority of his career. I understand Kapp's POV and don't necessarily disagree with it from a dollars and sense perspective. If they weren't moving into the new stadium I mights think differently, but I can't imagine there's anyone in the organization that does not want him on the field in the new diggs next year.
He's still very effective and draws a lot of attention from defenses. Norv has to do a much better job of being creative in his use of him. A lot of that falls on to the laps of TB and the line.
It does and I think a lot of it falls on Spielman too.

One of my biggest gripes with the Vikings is the way they've handled things during AD's career. It's been obvious since his rookie season that he's an elite player and a tremendous asset but it seems to me they've been halfheartedly dicking around with the rest of the offense for most of that time instead of building a unit that could maximize what Peterson brings to the field.

They need to be smarter about the way they build the offense and they need to be less willing to settle.
And lastly, I think Zimmer should have a camel, dressed in purple, on the sideline for when AD fumbles. After a fumble AD has to sit on the camel, wearing his crown and remain regally stoic, until they get the ball back. It would sell tickets....kids dig camels.
:lol: Forget the fumbles... AD should just sit on that camel, stoically wearing his crown after every series, regardless of what happens!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Jim
I definitely agree on the overall team building issue.
It has appeared to get way better since Spielman has been the GM. The TOA and the Wilfs inexperience led to systemic problems that are looking to finally being resolved. As I stated elsewhere, I'm not sold on Spielman's ability to spot solid fundamentally sound players at critical positions....especially on offense. I think Zimmer has hand a big hand in the past two drafts and that is cool. They seem to work very well together in that regard. I'm looking for someone to help out in a simiar way on offense. I don't think it's a strength of Zimmer and, while I'm not absolutely certain of Norv's track record, my sense is that he inherited more starting players than he ever drafted when he was HC. TB, as has been oft mentioned, is a peculiar fit for what Norv seems hell bent on doing.
I believe we're seeing the beginning of a true effort, with the staff changes, to turn that situation around...and a significant step in Zimmer's growth as HC.
Next season will likely be a majorly defining campaign for several elements of this team.
They have lots of potential.....what will happen? lol
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Having a large hoofed animal on the side lines would be dangerous...and if it clumsily stepped on AP we would then be humiliated by having to list CAMEL TOE on the IR list........ :shock:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Ahh...but camels do not have hooves, which is why the phrase camel toe exists.
However, I do believe the correct term for the upper midwest in North Amercia is 'moose knuckle'..but I digress.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:@Jim
I definitely agree on the overall team building issue.
It has appeared to get way better since Spielman has been the GM. The TOA and the Wilfs inexperience led to systemic problems that are looking to finally being resolved. As I stated elsewhere, I'm not sold on Spielman's ability to spot solid fundamentally sound players at critical positions....especially on offense. I think Zimmer has hand a big hand in the past two drafts and that is cool. They seem to work very well together in that regard. I'm looking for someone to help out in a simiar way on offense. I don't think it's a strength of Zimmer and, while I'm not absolutely certain of Norv's track record, my sense is that he inherited more starting players than he ever drafted when he was HC. TB, as has been oft mentioned, is a peculiar fit for what Norv seems hell bent on doing.
I believe we're seeing the beginning of a true effort, with the staff changes, to turn that situation around...and a significant step in Zimmer's growth as HC.
We'll see. I hope you're right because unfortunately, I feel the same issues I referred to above have persisted since Spielman became GM. :(
Next season will likely be a majorly defining campaign for several elements of this team.
They have lots of potential.....what will happen? lol
Hopefully, we'll see a bunch of shrewd moves followed by great performances culminating in a Vikings Super Bowl win. :)
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Breeze wrote:I'm not sold on Spielman's ability to spot solid fundamentally sound players at critical positions....especially on offense.
I don't think this is a problem for Spielman. I think it has more to do with the Vikings' philosophy of drafting O-linemen in low rounds and developing them. And as we all know, O-line is this team's true weakness. But I think Spielman has done all right when it comes to offense.

Couple of examples -- Matt Kalil and Jerick McKinnon.

Kalil was someone Spielman drafted in a high position, and after one year, it certainly seemed like Spielman had hit the bullseye. We all were convinced we had our All-Pro left tackle for the next decade. How could Spielman be blamed for Kalil's injuries that seem to have led to a complete loss of confidence? On the surface, it would be easy to say Spielman swung and missed on Kalil, but I disagree. Kalil started great for an entire season, then fell apart.

Jerick McKinnon is a guy that Spielman (and staff, of course) spotted and drafted in the 3rd round. Many of us on this board were going, "Jerick WHO?" But this was clearly a home run. McKinnon is giving the Vikings everything they could ever expect out of a 3rd-round running back. If not for a certain guy named Adrian Peterson, he might be a name mentioned as an up-and-coming star right now. But we all know his value.

Cordarrelle Patterson is an example of a swing and miss. I know I'm going to get skewered for that comment -- yes, I suppose the coaches' USE of Patterson has something to do with his lack of production -- but for WHATEVER the reason, he isn't panning out. He was a gamble, no doubt, and thus far he seems like a bad one.

On the other hand, Spielman and Co. DID draft Stefon Diggs. Very few 5th-round rookie wide receivers make the kind of impact Diggs made this season.
The Breeze wrote:TB, as has been oft mentioned, is a peculiar fit for what Norv seems hell bent on doing.
I have to say, the hiring of Turner was one that I celebrated. His reputation is stellar. But the fact that Norv runs every route in the tree DEEPER than virtually any other OC makes little sense given the Vikings' personnel. Teddy's arm is not like Aikman's, and the Vikings' line can't hold people out. After starting as a big Norv fan, I'm changing my tune on him. He just doesn't seem to be able to adjust.
The Breeze wrote:I believe we're seeing the beginning of a true effort, with the staff changes, to turn that situation around...and a significant step in Zimmer's growth as HC.
Man, I hope you're right. Sparano and Shurmur seem like great hires. Then again, so did Norv.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Kapp
Those are good points about the philosophy rather than just missing on talent.
My beef with Spielman is along the long and at QB.
Obviously, QB is hard....enough said lol
The line has been the issue of guys later in the draft not panning out. (Kalil was a good pick, but he was someone i coulda picked lol.) So, whether that is a philosophical shortcoming, a poor evalution process, not coaching em up or some combo of all those things, i'm hoping we are just seeing a more concerted effort there going forward.
Patterson is a conundrum and McKinnon/Diggs are solid IMO....I would like to see some better results at WR...but that could all be linked to the line.
Like you, I was excited about Norv and have aquired a bit bit of a jaundiced eye toward his approach, if not more than that. I'm hoping the new hires bring something to mortar this offense together.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Breeze wrote:@Kapp
Those are good points about the philosophy rather than just missing on talent.
My beef with Spielman is along the long and at QB.
Obviously, QB is hard....enough said lol
The line has been the issue of guys later in the draft not panning out. (Kalil was a good pick, but he was someone i coulda picked lol.) So, whether that is a philosophical shortcoming, a poor evalution process, not coaching em up or some combo of all those things, i'm hoping we are just seeing a more concerted effort there going forward.
Patterson is a conundrum and McKinnon/Diggs are solid IMO....I would like to see some better results at WR...but that could all be linked to the line.
Like you, I was excited about Norv and have aquired a bit bit of a jaundiced eye toward his approach, if not more than that. I'm hoping the new hires bring something to mortar this offense together.
Part of it is that we apparently disagree on the potential of Teddy Bridgewater. He has flaws, but I like his head, and his arm is good enough. I really want to see him play behind a better O-line. He was pressured on like half his throws last year. What can he do if he's not constantly running for his life? I'm not saying he'll be Tom Brady ... I just really want to see.

Either that, or adjust the offense to get the ball out of his hands quicker. Oh wait. Norv's the OC. Never mind.

As for the O-line, the Vikings take the same stance as a lot of teams. They draft linemen low and develop them. IMO, the problem these days with that philosophy is that defensive players are getting so damed athletic and FAST. You've got defensive ends like Danielle Hunter who run 4.5 and are quick and strong. So drafting a lumbering oaf and coaching him up on technique still doesn't make him able to handle the athletic guys we're seeing on the D-lines and LB corps of NFL teams today. I suppose part of it is that if you're a great athlete, you're probably not playing on the O-line. It's a conundrum.

Kalil is just a tragic story, in my opinion. I think he got really banged up, but played through it because he's a tough guy. When you're hurt, you just can't hang with these sick athletes, and maybe you start wondering whether you're good enough. When that happens, when the confidence wavers, you're a liability at a position like left tackle. I mean, he was SO GOOD as a rookie. It's really tragic.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.