Super Bowl 50

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Super Bowl 50

Post by dead_poet »

The Broncos gained 194 yards. That's the fewest by any winning team in Super Bowl history, breaking the '00 Ravens mark by 50 yards.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

ugghh....does Manning get paid everytime he mentions budwieser, or does he really drink that stuff?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:ugghh....does Manning get paid everytime he mentions budwieser, or does he really drink that stuff?
I would think so. That was pretty intentional-sounding. He probably made more in those two 5-second sound bytes than I'll make in my life.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

So I guess not.
Hi Internet. For the record, Budweiser did not pay Peyton Manning to mention Budweiser tonight. We were surprised and delighted that he did.
Via @LisaWeser
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

So anybody else think it feels like after Christmas and everybody has already opened their presents and there's still a ton of wrapping paper on the floor?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:So I guess not.
Via @LisaWeser
Are they watching us? lol
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

That's the Vikings blueprint to get to the SB. In fact, it almost felt like I was watching the Vikings (settle for FGs, play conservative at the end, rely on defense). Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Vikings focus on defense in the draft and FA this year.

So glad the Patriots weren't in the SB. Didn't really care who won but it was good to see the Broncos win it. Had a small feeling Miller was going to win the MVP today.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

As I watched this game I thought to myself; The Vikings *could* be in this game. Those teams both have the star power on defense. Peterson in the run game tips the scales though, in my opinion. :ripple:

Ok, that *might* be stretching it. It was encouraging to see both teams in the super bowl playing the same kind of football the Vikings do.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

The team that had the more reliable FG kicker won. Hmmmm....
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

Just Me wrote:The team that had the more reliable FG kicker won. Hmmmm....

the team with the smothering defense won. bad look for newton last night. not going after that fumble was one of the worst "business decision" plays i've ever seen. also i don't see the need to grill the losing players after the game, but walking out didn't look good either. brady, manning and wilson all have been losers in that game, but still sat there and answered the questions.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

slapnut19 wrote:
the team with the smothering defense won.
Agreed. But to be fair: Both teams played pretty good defense last night and with a 14 point win, you really can't say the kickers won/lost the game so my post was tongue-in-cheek (to a degree). The Broncos gained the LEAST yardage ever by a Super Bowl winner so Carolina's defense had to be doing well also. My point was: (and you really kind of supported what I was saying) is that in a game where the team leans on it's defense (which Denver and the Vikings do regularly, and the Panthers had to do last night, but came up short) a good/accurate kicker is vital. Denver's defense was the "MVP" of that game, no question, but the game might have had a different flavor/outcome if they had been missing FGs instead of making them early on. Imagine the kick in the...erm stomach... the Broncos would have felt on the opening drive if instead of 3-0 they walk away still tied at 0-0.

Here are the stats:

Code: Select all

Team                              First Downs               Total Yards          Yards Per Play          Points 
Carolina Panthers                    21                          315                     4.2                      10 
Denver Broncos                       11                          194                     3.5                      24 
Without looking at the score, which team looks better defensively? Both played a good defensive game.
Last edited by Just Me on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

As I watched this game I thought to myself; The Vikings *could* be in this game. Those teams both have the star power on defense. Peterson in the run game tips the scales though, in my opinion. :ripple:

Ok, that *might* be stretching it. It was encouraging to see both teams in the super bowl playing the same kind of football the Vikings do.

Aww I love the Vikings .. they couldn't win, a single playoff game this season. They are getting better, but IMO we need

a better offense, than we have. I like teddy and support him. Four reasons for us not being there at SB 50. 1. Our OL is our biggest problem, we can't pass

protect consistently and our run blocking is poor also. 2. Our wide outs and TE's drop too many balls. Rudolf dropped two TD's this season at least.. Wallace

had a lot of drops and alligator arm plays. 3. Our play calling does not warrant a challenge for defenses. The K.C. game this season I was screaming at the

screen, throw the ball.... Almost every defender was in the box...4. Winners step up more mentally, emotionally ...they rise to the moment.. we saw flashes but

the Vikings organization needs more Zimmer spirit. I think we are heading the right way but we are not there, yet.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

All of my friends who are Panther fans are saying the game was fixed. God, that #### gets old.

Congratulations to the Denver Broncos, and to Peyton Manning. And to Gary Kubiak, who got a raw deal in Houston, IMO.
You should have asked them, " If Cam Dabbed more, during the turnovers? Maybe Carolina would have won then, huh?? :thumbsup:
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I'm surprised...

I'm surprised the Carolina receivers dropped so many passes...
I'm surprised Denver's defense played tip top/outstanding two straight games, I mean really impressively...
I'm surprised Cam did not get that fumble, or even try...
I'm surprised overall, that Carolina didn't win...

I did not dislike either team. There are a few teams I absolutely despise, and luckily Denver's D beat one of them 2 weeks ago.

Go Vikes!

Addendum: Halftime show--Coldplay was okay, then other things started happening. As soon as I see "booty grinding" on tv, I opt out. Good grief!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I thought it was a decent game, better then some. Cam is a self centered, narcissistic baby. Didnt it look like he expected someone else to get that fumble, that he was above it? That he was just too good to pick it up, lets one of the grunts? He gave no effort. Hopefully now there will be less commercials in them with Peyton in them.