View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2016 mock drafts 
Backup

Post Re: 2016 mock drafts
Texas Vike wrote:
Banquo wrote:

I agree with you. This wrist injury of his is really taking a long time to heal, but I think you're right about the combine being more of a factor in his evaluation and ultimate draft determiner. I personally think he's going to be somewhat less impressive in measurements at the combine and I suspect it will make him drop a bit. Maybe it's just my desire to snag him in the 2nd or late first, trading up either way. Also, I don't really care what his 40 time is or whether he's 6' 2 and 5/8" or 6' 4 and 1/32", the kid catches the ball like no other WR in this year's draft. I've been watching every TCU game for the last 4 years (I live in Fort Worth) and this kid just has it. Also, as you point out, he's exactly what we need. I want a solid OT in the first and then the classic "Ricker" --moving back up at the end of the first or top of the 2nd to snag Doctson.

Ricker... nice!

Yeah, I'm with you-- his 40 time shouldn't be a big issue. But bad teams overemphasize it and it always seems to effect draft stock. Honestly, if he came in at 6'2", 195 and ran say a 4.58 and that all allowed the Vikings to nab him in the 2nd somewhere, I'd be stoked. However, if he's 6'3", 205 and runs a ~4.49 then I don't think that's realistic. And depending on the board, I'd be down to just take him in the 20's. I think OT and OL in general is definitely in play, but I wouldn't marry myself to it. Last time the bolts did that, they wound up drafting a sub-par RG at #11 overall.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:59 am
Commissioner

Banquo wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
Should have said any D-lineman, not just DE. I think it's a position you can never have too many studs at, especially in Zimmer's rotating scheme. There always seems to be injuries among the lineman (on both sides), which also makes depth crucial. I'm not saying it's a position of NEED, I'm saying if a really good player drops to us in the first round, I'm cool with taking him. I trust in Zimmer's eye for defensive talent more than his, Rick's, and Norv's eye(s) for offensive talent, so I'd be happy.

To you or anyone else, what are the general thoughts on the back end of the DL depth? I'm thinking of guys like Moore, Stephen, Crichton, and Ellis here.

I think the team likes Stephen. He impressed/flashed last season and it's too bad he was injured most of this season. Crichton was bypassed on the depth chart by Hunter but before that (at least in the preseason) he was showing signs of improving before his own injuries. I think he'll make the 53 next season and be a part of some kind of rotation. I have no idea about Ellis. He doesn't seem to be getting many snaps as it is and may be a one-year rental. I have no idea about Moore. Most likely a developmental guy that may be limited to special teams. Unlikely to have an impact.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm
Backup

dead_poet wrote:
I think the team likes Stephen. He impressed/flashed last season and it's too bad he was injured most of this season. Crichton was bypassed on the depth chart by Hunter but before that (at least in the preseason) he was showing signs of improving before his own injuries. I think he'll make the 53 next season and be a part of some kind of rotation. I have no idea about Ellis. He doesn't seem to be getting many snaps as it is and may be a one-year rental. I have no idea about Moore. Most likely a developmental guy that may be limited to special teams. Unlikely to have an impact.

Thanks. Just looking at the roster, it would seem that if they keep Robison and like Crichton/Moore as developmental players, then DE is basically full. In which case you wouldn't expect anything more than later picks for competition. At DT, with Floyd, Joseph, and Johnson looking strong, if they like Stephen then that's another area where you wouldn't expect more than a later round pick. But it comes down to how much they really do like that depth. And, I suppose, to whether or not they're presented with value that's too good to pass on.

Tangentially, the progress that Hunter has made as a rookie is really a testament to the ability of this defensive staff. He was the definition of untapped potential coming out of LSU. The guy had 4.5 career sacks of three seasons of football. He tops that number in one season in the NFL. Impressive job out of the coaches.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:34 pm
Commissioner

Banquo wrote:
Thanks. Just looking at the roster, it would seem that if they keep Robison and like Crichton/Moore as developmental players, then DE is basically full. In which case you wouldn't expect anything more than later picks for competition. At DT, with Floyd, Joseph, and Johnson looking strong, if they like Stephen then that's another area where you wouldn't expect more than a later round pick. But it comes down to how much they really do like that depth. And, I suppose, to whether or not they're presented with value that's too good to pass on.

It'll be interesting what they do with Robison. He's only scheduled to make $3.75 million (base) with a $1 million signing bonus and $200k signing bonus ($5.1 million cap hit). He'll be 33. Ultimately I think Zimmer and the coaching staff likes him and he's still performing well enough to keep his roster spot (perhaps in more of a rotation with Hunter than he's seeing now). There's also $2 million in dead money if they release him. I think he lasts one more year (base salary in 2017 jumps to $5.1 million with only $1 million in dead money). That said, perhaps Rick looks to the future (depth) this year for 2017 when Robison may not be with the team. But there's a lot of priorities right now. It'll probably boil down to who's there when we're on the clock.

Quote:
Tangentially, the progress that Hunter has made as a rookie is really a testament to the ability of this defensive staff. He was the definition of untapped potential coming out of LSU. The guy had 4.5 career sacks of three seasons of football. He tops that number in one season in the NFL. Impressive job out of the coaches.

I think that's absolutely true. He landed in probably the best spot he could have. What was fairly questionable at the time is looking like a great pick by Rick. If he continues to improve we could have a formidable pair of DEs for the next five years, which I'm sure won't be welcome news to Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:51 pm
Backup

dead_poet wrote:
It'll be interesting what they do with Robison. He's only scheduled to make $3.75 million (base) with a $1 million signing bonus and $200k signing bonus ($5.1 million cap hit). He'll be 33. Ultimately I think Zimmer and the coaching staff likes him and he's still performing well enough to keep his roster spot (perhaps in more of a rotation with Hunter than he's seeing now). There's also $2 million in dead money if they release him. I think he lasts one more year (base salary in 2017 jumps to $5.1 million with only $1 million in dead money). That said, perhaps Rick looks to the future (depth) this year for 2017 when Robison may not be with the team. But there's a lot of priorities right now. It'll probably boil down to who's there when we're on the clock.

Keeping Robison feels like a no brainer to me. I realize he's on the back end of his career at this point, but it wouldn't make any sense in my opinion to cut a solid, veteran DE for what, like 3M in net cap savings? I just can't see that. Keep him and get a good rotation going.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:18 pm
Commissioner

Josh Norris (1/5): http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... version-10

Quote:
27. Minnesota Vikings - Ohio State T Taylor Decker

Ohio State senior T Taylor Decker is working with LeCharles Bentley during the pre-draft process.

Bentley is a former NFL center whose career was derailed by injuries. In the past few years he has worked with a number of NFL players and prospects, and fixing a number of their problems in the process. Decker has been mocked as a first-round pick by some and will attend the Senior Bowl.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:56 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

Ohio State senior T Taylor Decker is working with LeCharles Bentley during the pre-draft process.

Bentley is a former NFL center whose career was derailed by injuries. In the past few years he has worked with a number of NFL players and prospects, and fixing a number of their problems in the process. Decker has been mocked as a first-round pick by some and will attend the Senior Bowl.

I noticed that this mock has a QB from NDSU (North Dakota State U) at #26. That's completely insane. A QB from NDSU? Kiper and McShay had him as a mid-rounder but he's moving up their boards... I don't know, that just blows my mind.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:34 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

I noticed that this mock has a QB from NDSU (North Dakota State U) at #26. That's completely insane. A QB from NDSU? Kiper and McShay had him as a mid-rounder but he's moving up their boards... I don't know, that just blows my mind.

He recently cracked McShay's first round. Gil Brandt says he has "tremendous upside."

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:09 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Banquo wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Keeping Robison feels like a no brainer to me. I realize he's on the back end of his career at this point, but it wouldn't make any sense in my opinion to cut a solid, veteran DE for what, like 3M in net cap savings? I just can't see that. Keep him and get a good rotation going.

His leadership is his biggest asset to the team. I'd love to see them renegotiate with him.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:57 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

There's a brief article about him at NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ound-grade

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:02 am
Fenrir

My pick. 2nd rounder right now.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm
Hall of Famer

I really like Fuller too. Watched a lot of him this year. Dont think he's worth the #23 overall. Be nice to see what Rick could come up with. This would really upgrade the offense. Wallace, Fuller and Diggs on the field at the same time, talk about speed.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings: Leontee Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Just as was the case in Mock Draft 1.0, the Vikings look to aid in QB Teddy Bridgewater’s development by adding Carroo who is adept at getting open on vertical routes. He averaged 4.11 yards per route this season while grading at +15.0 in only eight games.

PFF has Docton and Treadwell going top-10.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:31 am
Commissioner

Josh Norris mock 2.0: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/5 ... version-20

Quote:
23. Minnesota Vikings - Ohio State OL Taylor Decker - Decker recently pulled out of the Senior Bowl. The Vikings need an infusion of aggressiveness and nastiness, and Decker plays until the whistle and sometimes beyond. He is working with LeCharles Bentley pre-draft, which has helped a number of prospects and players

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:49 am
Starter

Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Quote:

I guess you better believe it. If a guy can play it doesn't matter what level he comes from. If you got talent they will find you. He will struggle some to the NFL but what QB doesn't. Ponder came from a D1 school and he sucked. Flacco FCS and he turned out ok.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/ ... vp-BBourNa little piece on Carson Wentz

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:55 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Bigwehrm wrote:

I guess you better believe it. If a guy can play it doesn't matter what level he comes from. If you got talent they will find you. He will struggle some to the NFL but what QB doesn't. Ponder came from a D1 school and he sucked. Flacco FCS and he turned out ok.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/ ... vp-BBourNa little piece on Carson Wentz

:lol:

Thanks for the "lesson".

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:47 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
-Two player-team connections I’ve heard so far that may be the pick if this player falls to their spot: RB Derrick Henry to the Vikings (surprising, but not without reason if they feel he’s one of the few first-round prospects) and OT Jack Conklin to the Colts.

http://optimumscouting.com/scouts-notes ... -more.html

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:57 am
Strong Safety

Henry is a huge back with the speed to play in the
NFL and if the Vikings have plans at all to
move on from Peterson this might be a big part.

The problem is the Vikings need to rebuild and improve
an weak OL. They also need to bolster the LB, WR and
secondary. If I was the GM I would move back often and
pick up multiple picks..several teams have several picks
in later rounds. Trading a future 1st round pick is also an
option.

Jaylon Smith
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=128150&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

would be my pick if I didn't move back

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:31 am
Commissioner

CBS/Rob Rang (1/31): http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... rson-wentz

Quote:
23. Minnesota Vikings
Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State: Mike Zimmer clearly has the Vikings on the rise, with his club out-playing the two-time defending NFC champion Seahawks for much of their wildcard game loss. His fearsome defenders could be looking for a younger, cheaper alternative at outside linebacker than veteran Chad Greenway, a pending free agent. Lee has the awareness and closing speed to star against the run and in coverage, making him a potentially ideal replacement.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 pm
Commissioner

PFF Mock 3.0: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... 20th-pick/

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings: Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
The last two mocks saw the Vikings taking Carroo, but with him off the board, they take Coleman who adds a similar intermediate and deep dimension to the offense. Coleman was incredibly productive in Baylor’s offense before quarterback attrition slowed him down, finishing with 3.98 yards per route (fourth in nation) and a +20.6 receiving grade.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:32 pm
Defensive Tackle

Interesting stuff (abut both Lee and Coleman). I need to read up on these guys...

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 pm
Commissioner

Daniel Jeremiah mock 2.0: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-draf ... 21040963=1

Quote:
PICK NO. 23 MIN: COREY COLEMAN WR BAYLOR

Coleman would team up with Stefon Diggs to provide Teddy Bridgewater with two young and explosive playmakers.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:24 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

I'm hearing Coleman is the #1 WR. I'm hearing Treadwell is the #1 WR. I'm hearing Shepherd is the #1 WR.

I think its a deep class, but maybe there's not a guy who combines the size with the separation in this years crop. It seems like with most of these guys its one or the other.

Separation is probably more important, but it'd be nice to get a big body who can win jump balls and create a margin for error on deep throws that Mike Wallace simply can't provide.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:14 am
Commissioner

MOCK DRAFT: Belisle Version 1.0

Jaylon Smith, LB — Notre Dame

http://vikingsterritory.com/2016/nfl-dr ... ersion-1-0

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:29 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
@AldoBarkeeper
Mel Kiper's Mock 2.0

Bears - Jaylon Smith, LB
Lions - Jarran Reed, DL
Vikings - Cody Whitehair, G
Packers - Hunter Henry, TE

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 pm
Hall of Famer

Whitechair makes more sense then any WR. We still have some decent WR's if given plays, and Teddy get a little time from the Oline. We also need Kyle as a WR and not staying behind to block. But out Oline problems just didnt disappear.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 am
Commissioner

Quote:
@ChaseGoodbread Mayock: South Carolina's Pharoh Cooper and Pittsburgh's Tyler Boyd could be good WR options for #Vikings in 2nd-3rd round range.

Quote:
‏@LedyardNFLDraft Mayock: Jason Spriggs could make a lot of sense for Minnesota.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@ChaseGoodbread Mayock: South Carolina's Pharoh Cooper and Pittsburgh's Tyler Boyd could be good WR options for #Vikings in 2nd-3rd round range.

Quote:
‏@LedyardNFLDraft Mayock: Jason Spriggs could make a lot of sense for Minnesota.

I've been keeping my eye on Spriggs as the LT candidate most likely to still be on the board at 23.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Whitechair makes more sense then any WR.

I know football players aren't exactly known for their eloquence, but I think its a bit harsh to say a piece of furniture makes more sense. :confused:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:46 am
Starting Wide Receiver

fiestavike wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Whitechair makes more sense then any WR.

I know football players aren't exactly known for their eloquence, but I think its a bit harsh to say a piece of furniture makes more sense. :confused:

It sounds racist too... why can't it be a black chair or a yellow chair? 8)

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next