march 9 is the kalil deadline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: march 9 is the kalil deadline

Post by jackal »

I don't want to retain Loadholt or Kalil...

Fusco and maybe Sullivan would be the only old group worth keeping...

The younger guys its tough to tell... most of them have not played accept for clemmings and Harris

Berger was up and down IMO last season. Shepard had some good push IMO

Easton???Kerin??Sirles?? ...so half of the OL needs to be replaced this offseason IMO
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote:I don't want to retain Loadholt or Kalil...

Fusco and maybe Sullivan would be the only old group worth keeping...

The younger guys its tough to tell... most of them have not played accept for clemmings and Harris

Berger was up and down IMO last season. Shepard had some good push IMO

Easton???Kerin??Sirles?? ...so half of the OL needs to be replaced this offseason IMO
It would be crazy not to keep Berger. He was mentioned this year as a high level player and did a very good job at center. In addition, he can play any position on the line.
As far a Sully and Load go, to me and I would bet to the organization, it will be determined after their rehab has been completed and how healthy they are. Load is a very good run blocker and Sully has played quite well, when healthy, at center. Maybe it might be necessary to restructure their contracts but it could well be worth it. I want to see how this o-line performs under a different line coach.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

The Kalil situation really strikes me as the crux to the whole line issue. Whether or not the FO sees it as a 'situation' is part of it. They may be satisified with him for all I know. I think his knees make him a major liability.
I'm attracted to the idea of having Harris at LT, Fusco back at his orignal guard spot and Berger starting the season at the other guard....all assuming Phil and Sully could go.
Draft one of the quality interior linemen available....maybe a center.
Sparano will have a huge role in advising around all of this, I hope.
But again, what they do with Kalil will probably speak volumes about what happens on the rest on the line. Interesting for us that it will be decided wel before any draft or FA signings.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:The Kalil situation really strikes me as the crux to the whole line issue. Whether or not the FO sees it as a 'situation' is part of it. They may be satisified with him for all I know. I think his knees make him a major liability.
I'm attracted to the idea of having Harris at LT, Fusco back at his orignal guard spot and Berger starting the season at the other guard....all assuming Phil and Sully could go.
I think putting Harris at LT would lead Vikings fans to an entirely new appreciation of Matt Kalil. :)

I'm not in favor of a lot of shuffling and putting players at new positions. To me, putting players in unfamiliar roles seems like a recipe for further problems.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Jim
I was going with the assertion up thread that Harris has played LT in the past.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:@Jim
I was going with the assertion up thread that Harris has played LT in the past.
Yes, but he struggled mightily at that position for the Chargers. Most of his tackle experience is at right tackle, where he's a more natural fit.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: Yes, but he struggled mightily at that position for the Chargers. Most of his tackle experience is at right tackle, where he's a more natural fit.
Ohh...wel, as Emily Litella would say, 'Never mind'
I think what they got from Kalil this year is probably his physical ceiling going forward. Average. And that would actually be servicable if the rest of the line could just get to average as well.
Still I would like to see them draft a guy who could replace him...Whitehair is intriuging, given he can play T and G.
So many questions on the line...it will be interesting to see their 'desperation factor' as they address it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:Ohh...wel, as Emily Litella would say, 'Never mind'
I think what they got from Kalil this year is probably his physical ceiling going forward. Average. And that would actually be servicable if the rest of the line could just get to average as well.
Exactly. I think the bigger concern with Kalil at this point is how much the Vikings want to pay for "average".

I'm not sure if what we saw this season represents Kalil's physical ceiling or not. Only time will tell..
Still I would like to see them draft a guy who could replace him...Whitehair is intriuging, given he can play T and G.
So many questions on the line...it will be interesting to see their 'desperation factor' as they address it.
It will also be interesting to see how much they're willing to change in one offseason. If they like free agents hitting the market, they could conceivably look to add a tackle that way, maybe even a tackle and a guard. After all, if they were to cut Kalil and Loadholt, they'd save almost $18 million against the cap this year. If they cut Wallace too, that would add another $11.5 million. Close to $30 million in cap space would give them some room to negotiate.

We'll see what happens. It's not Spielman's style but I'd like to see them draft two quality offensive line prospects in the first 4 rounds of the draft, an interior player and a tackle (assuming the way the draft plays out makes that sensible). They need to add talent and athleticism up front. I'd be fine if they went with another o-lineman later too.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: It will also be interesting to see how much they're willing to change in one offseason. If they like free agents hitting the market, they could conceivably look to add a tackle that way, maybe even a tackle and a guard. After all, if they were to cut Kalil and Loadholt, they'd save almost $18 million against the cap this year. If they cut Wallace too, that would add another $11.5 million. Close to $30 million in cap space would give them some room to negotiate.

We'll see what happens. It's not Spielman's style but I'd like to see them draft two quality offensive line prospects in the first 4 rounds of the draft, an interior player and a tackle (assuming the way the draft plays out makes that sensible). They need to add talent and athleticism up front. I'd be fine if they went with another o-lineman later too.
I agree with all the above.

That said, I'm wondering if the Vikings need some experience along with better athleticism on the OL. Are there any OL players that are seasoned and proven but perhaps more expensive than their present club wants to fork over? If the Vikings did cut Kalil, Loadholt, and Wallace (who may want to try another team), would it be better to bring in a couple vet OL players as well as some higher draft picks?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I agree with all the above.

That said, I'm wondering if the Vikings need some experience along with better athleticism on the OL. Are there any OL players that are seasoned and proven but perhaps more expensive than their present club wants to fork over? If the Vikings did cut Kalil, Loadholt, and Wallace (who may want to try another team), would it be better to bring in a couple vet OL players as well as some higher draft picks?
I think so, perhaps it would even be essential.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

All of the above is what i was referring to by their 'desperation factor'. With just a couple of moves they could clear some serious cap space. They could make some huge changes between that and the draft....or they could poke along and trust more on the return of the injured.
I'm glad it's not on me to make the call....either way, I'm hoping for them to invest heavily in the draft and use Sparano's opinion liberally to that end.
Depth is the biggest issue IMO, cause anyone can get injured.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

there is a deep draft of interior OG and C this year and some decent FA I am
hoping we clean house and get an effective OL for once in years..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

jackal wrote:there is a deep draft of interior OG and C this year and some decent FA I am
hoping we clean house and get an effective OL for once in years..
I'm hoping the same thing. I imagine Teddy, AD, and the receivers would be happy about that as well.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

With our picks are they going to be looking strictly offense or the best available talent when they pick. Rather it be offense or defense.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Just wondering anybody think that Clemmings could be moving to left tackle this year? Nobody has talked about him much and if Phil comes back....