2016 Senior Bowl (notes & such)

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 Senior Bowl (notes & such)

Post by dead_poet »

@JuMosq Ward walked off the field. Garnett is the best IOL here. Bully. Just super consistent.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TonyPauline Jason Spriggs/T/Indiana continues to impress. Have to believe he's cemented himself as a late first rounder.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TonyPauline Cole Toner/T/Harvard shows great potential. Can develop into a Sunday starter after a year or so.
@TonyPauline Nick Martin/C/Notre Dame continues to impress. Handled Austin Johnson/Penn State on consecutive snaps.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

20 Overarching Impressions from Senior Bowl South Team Practices

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/0 ... practices/
5. All due respect to the Braxton Miller hype train, but Sterling Shepard was the best wide receiver in Mobile on either squad. Smooth operator with exceptional hands and quickness at the top of his route. Dedicated, well-spoken kid too. Teams better not make the same mistake they made with Tyler Lockett and let him fall.
7. Cody Whitehair is the kind of prospect that teams will sleep on and think they can almost replicate with a mid-round pick, but then he’ll start for 14 years and kill it. His base, core strength, technique and footwork were impressive to say the least. Should be gone by pick #35.
8. Spencer Drango, John Theus, and Vadal Alexander were all once rumored to be first round picks, but the trio has fallen off dramatically. Drango’s pass sets are way too shallow (could be a Baylor thing) and he lacks the quick feet to mirror defenders around the arc. Alexander definitely has to kick inside to guard at the next level, and even then he’s got to land with a gap-heavy scheme. Theus may actually be undraftable, as his issues abound beyond the other two. Not sure any offensive tackle had a rougher week.
9. I like Christian Westerman. Think he’ll go in the mid-rounds, but has a great work ethic and the nastiness to thrive in the rigors of the NFL. He just has to keep refining his feet, as Westerman’s length, power, and movement skills should attract NFL teams looking for quality guard help.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

10 PROSPECTS WHO STOOD OUT ON DAY 3 OF SENIOR BOWL PRACTICES

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... practices/
5. Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State
One-on-one pass-rush drills are usually to the defender’s advantage, but that wasn’t the case Thursday for Whitehair. He held his own on every rep, even stoning pass-rushers on a few and leveling one with a pancake block. There’s some debate over whether he’s a tackle or a guard at the next level, after he graded out as our No. 1 tackle in 2015, but his best reps came as a guard on Thursday.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the "Guard alert!" updates. Whitehair and Garnett sound like two players we should keep a close eye on in the game and the months ahead. Since the Vikes spoke with Shepard, He;s obviously someone to watch too.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Thanks for the "Guard alert!" updates. Whitehair and Garnett sound like two players we should keep a close eye on in the game and the months ahead. Since the Vikes spoke with Shepard, He;s obviously someone to watch too.
Problem is we'd have to take Whitehair in R1 (if he's not gone already) and possibly Garnett as well. I'd be shocked if Rick did that. Other names I see popping up and I've done a bit more research on that I have my eye on include: Martin, Tretola and Westerman. Westerman is apparently an ox. He put up 41 reps of 225 last year. :shock: He did 20 of 315, too. His combine bench press might be fun. Tretola is pretty brutish, too. I'd be pretty happy with any of those guys.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I watched the game, although not too closely. I was impressed with Noah Spence, Jarran Reed, and Brandon Allen.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CbusVikesFan wrote:I watched the game, although not too closely. I was impressed with Noah Spence, Jarran Reed, and Brandon Allen.
I kept my eye on the interior lines. Whitehair is every bit as good as advertised.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

yeah there are four or five OG that are NFL ready and two or three centers

I am hoping we pick up two or three OL guys through FA or draft

Turner was supposed to be a plug and play OG as well..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: I kept my eye on the interior lines. Whitehair is every bit as good as advertised.
I fear that the top 2 or 3 guards will be gone by the time the Vikings pick. Spence and Reed improved their stock yesterday. It sucks that we have to wait until the end of Feb. for the combine.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter