Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC

Post by soflavike »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-4839350

That ought to make room for another AFC team to make the playoffs next year.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Brad Childress to be Chiefs new OC

Post by fiestavike »

soflavike wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-4839350

probably be a similar dynamic to George Edwards as our DC, and the Childress/Reid dynamic during their Philly years.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

soflavike wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-4839350

Return of the KAO!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Reid will run the offense and squirrel
will work on his people skills.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Raptorman wrote:Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.
He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: He didn't run the offense. Reid ran the offense and called the plays. Childress was just the 'OC.'
That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.
true, I think he got a few fights with TO while he was there ;)

I think Childress is at his best when he doesn't have to interact with players, media or public.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

Raptorman wrote:Well, when he was the OC of the Eagles they lost 2 conference Championships and Super Bowl in three years. That's not a bad record. Maybe not HC material but he maybe ok as an OC.
his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Who could forgot such innovative play calling? Run, run, draw, punt. Childress was the pioneer no one appreciated.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: That's still a substantial role. There's a lot more to being an OC than calling plays on game day.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rdinators/
The team announced that Brad Childress and Matt Nagy would serve as co-offensive coordinators.
:confused:

There may be more than calling plays, but seems other people do more of that stuff than Childress as well. He got way too much credit (and a head coaching job) based on an Eagles offense that was almost all Andy Reid. And now he's getting another promotion from his buddy that'll look good on a resume.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

slapnut19 wrote: his offense with a competent qb(2009) looked pretty good. just like frazier he hitched his wagon to the wrong qb.
His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Just Me wrote: His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).
Bevell, who he wouldn't let call plays most of his time here, also went on to call plays as OC for a super bowl winning team. :confused:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: His offense in spite of him looked pretty good. (Not because of him).
A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote:
A lot of the offense working well in 2009 was we had a healthy talented starting QB. However, I could be misremembering but that QB also often audibled and/or called plays from the huddle. Maybe there was less of that then I remember. I could just be soured on Childress so I'm only remembering him negatively even though his team had a good year in 2009.
I'm remembering it the same way. Wasn't there an incident where he was tempted to bench Favre when Favre audibled out of a play (and got a score if I remember right)? That could be too much conjecture on my part, because in thinking about it, it seems unlikely the people that "know" would leak that to the public. But I still think Brad Clueless was one of the worst coaches we've had. Not as bad as Steckel, but that's a back-handed compliment if there ever was one.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!