View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Notable 2016 Offseason Moves 
Commissioner

Post Notable 2016 Offseason Moves
Quote:
@AdamSchefter Dolphins officially hired Chris Grier as their GM.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am
Commissioner

Post Re: Notable 2016 Offseason Moves
Titans announced they will not renew GM Ruston Webster's contract.

Tennessee also removed the interim tag from CEO Steve Underwood, who will lead the search for a new general manager and perhaps new coach. The decision not to retain Webster helps explain why the Titans have yet to reach out to coaching candidates, although there is still a slim possibility interim coach Mike Mularkey lands the permanent job. With Marcus Mariota, talent of defense and the No. 1 pick, Tennessee will be an attractive destination for GM candidates

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:33 pm
Commissioner

Browns named former Mets vice president of player development and scouting Paul DePodesta executive vice president.

That is not a typo. The Browns are bringing in a baseball executive who is perhaps most famous for his time with the Athletics which was chronicled in the book Moneyball. DePodesta also was the Dodgers GM for two seasons in the mid-2000s and had been with the Mets since 2010. DePodesta will be above executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown on the flowchart, who himself is a former lawyer. Cleveland is going all in on analytics in an attempt to turn the franchise around.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Browns named former Mets vice president of player development and scouting Paul DePodesta executive vice president.

That is not a typo. The Browns are bringing in a baseball executive who is perhaps most famous for his time with the Athletics which was chronicled in the book Moneyball. DePodesta also was the Dodgers GM for two seasons in the mid-2000s and had been with the Mets since 2010. DePodesta will be above executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown on the flowchart, who himself is a former lawyer. Cleveland is going all in on analytics in an attempt to turn the franchise around.

Wow, that's an interesting development! Thanks for the news. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Tampa Bay fires Lovie Smith.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ovie-smith

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 pm
Defensive Tackle

Crax wrote:

Wow, that's surprising!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:47 am
Defensive Tackle

Dead_poet, you might find this article at PFT's site interesting:

Brian Billick: You can’t do Moneyball in the NFL

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
Crax wrote:

Wow, that's surprising!
Honestly, I think Lovie getting fired is less surprising than Lovie getting hired.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:12 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
Crax wrote:

Wow, that's surprising!

It is a mild surprise only becaise Tampa Bay was having a decent season up until December.
Still Lovie and Leslie's times of running an effective defense are clearly over. Good move for Tampa.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defensive Tackle

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Crax wrote:

Wow, that's surprising!

It is a mild surprise only becaise Tampa Bay was having a decent season up until December.
Still Lovie and Leslie's times of running an effective defense are clearly over. Good move for Tampa.

Their defense finished in the top 10. They didn't fare as well in scoring defense but they seemed to be making progress and they do play in a division with some teams that can really score.

I think they have an impatient ownership group that's going to turn them into the NFC South version of the Browns or Raiders if they're not careful. The Bucs have no gone through 3 head coaches in 7 years.

I'm not a huge Lovie Smith fan but he's not a bad coach and that team was making progress. You have to give a coach some time to turn a bad team around.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:46 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
While Dirk Koetter's offense showed plenty of promise with Winston as the centerpiece, Smith's defense wasn't any better than the 2-14 unit he presided over in 2014. Smith released Darrelle Revis, traded former first-round safety Mark Barron, hand-picked his own secondary and oversaw the two worst pass defenses in franchise history.

:rofl:
Good ole Frazier.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm
Franchise Player

Crax wrote:

Various commentators seem to think that Smith was pushed out to make room for elevating current Bucs OC/quarterback whisperer Dirk Koetter, who is otherwise in danger of being lured away to Tennessee or Miami or somewhere.

Presuming that's right, what's the over/under on the number of websites and periodicals that will headline their stories on the HC hiring with "WELCOME BACK, KOETTER"?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:58 pm
Career Elite Player

Rieux wrote:
Crax wrote:

Various commentators seem to think that Smith was pushed out to make room for elevating current Bucs OC/quarterback whisperer Dirk Koetter, who is otherwise in danger of being lured away to Tennessee or Miami or somewhere.

Presuming that's right, what's the over/under on the number of websites and periodicals that will headline their stories on the HC hiring with "WELCOME BACK, KOETTER"?
I had to google that to understand the reference.

You must be old.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 pm
Franchise Player

DK Sweets wrote:
You must be old.

:shock: Ouch!

I don't know if I'm proving you right or wrong by telling you that I was born during the run of that show. I'm, uh, younger than Matt Hasselbeck....

I sure thought "Welcome Back, Kotter" was, and remains, a common pop-cultural reference. In any case, sportswriters tend to be either (1) old enough and/or (2) pop-culture savvy enough to be familiar with the show. Or at least it seems that way to me.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:20 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Wow, that's an interesting development! Thanks for the news. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Guess we find out if Moneyball works in the NFL. :whistle:

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:36 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

DK Sweets wrote:

You must be old.

Don't knock it. It's were John Travolta became a household name.

And yes, some of "old" people watched it first run.

But then I remember first runs of Giligans Island.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:38 am
Career Elite Player

Rieux wrote:
DK Sweets wrote:
You must be old.

:shock: Ouch!

I don't know if I'm proving you right or wrong by telling you that I was born during the run of that show. I'm, uh, younger than Matt Hasselbeck....

I sure thought "Welcome Back, Kotter" was, and remains, a common pop-cultural reference. In any case, sportswriters tend to be either (1) old enough and/or (2) pop-culture savvy enough to be familiar with the show. Or at least it seems that way to me.
:lol:

I hope it was clear that I was try to be good natured with that jab.

I think you're right that most writers would get that reference and run with it.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:08 am
Packers Suck

DK Sweets wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Crax wrote:

Wow, that's surprising!
Honestly, I think Lovie getting fired is less surprising than Lovie getting hired.

Are you kidding? Did you see what he did with TBs craptastic roster and a rookie at QB?

TB will regret this, #### show organisation just got rid of the best HC they have had since Gruden.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:44 pm
Commissioner

Post Notable 2016 Offseason Moves
Rams to LA. Raiders staying put (for now) likely with extra $100 million towards new stadium. Chargers likely to opt-in with Rams in Inglewood. Thankfully Minnesota got this done. I feel awful for St. Louis & San Diego fans. We'll see if LA fans support these teams.

###

The Rams and Chargers are expected to be approved for relocation to Inglewood, Cal.
Stan Kroenke's project is taking the day, with Dean Spanos and Mark Davis' Carson proposal dissolving as soon as the bargaining began. The expectation is that Davis will receive extra NFL loan money as he seeks a new stadium in Oakland, a development that is sure to gall Rams and Chargers fans. Official word could come as early as Tuesday evening. It's an exciting day for football fans in the nation's second-largest market, but an awful betrayal for San Diego and St. Louis.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:00 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Rams to LA. Raiders staying put (for now) likely with extra $100 million towards new stadium. Chargers likely to opt-in with Rams in Inglewood. Thankfully Minnesota got this done. I feel awful for St. Louis & San Diego fans. We'll see if LA fans support these teams.

###

The Rams and Chargers are expected to be approved for relocation to Inglewood, Cal.
Stan Kroenke's project is taking the day, with Dean Spanos and Mark Davis' Carson proposal dissolving as soon as the bargaining began. The expectation is that Davis will receive extra NFL loan money as he seeks a new stadium in Oakland, a development that is sure to gall Rams and Chargers fans. Official word could come as early as Tuesday evening. It's an exciting day for football fans in the nation's second-largest market, but an awful betrayal for San Diego and St. Louis.

I think there are still veiled threats that Davis could move to the San Antonio market and that he owns a big piece of land between Austin and SA. I'm not sure I want that to happen because of all the lowlifes that would be likely to follow the team out here.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:02 am
All Pro Elite Player

Quote:
@UncleChaps
Done deal. Hue Jackson will be the next head coach of the Cleveland #Browns.

Over/Under on being there longer than 2 years?

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm
Site Admin

Crax wrote:
Quote:
@UncleChaps

He was pretty good as Wolverine but I don't know how I feel about him as a head coach. Wait ... never mind.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:46 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Cliff wrote:
Crax wrote:
Quote:
@UncleChaps

He was pretty good as Wolverine but I don't know how I feel about him as a head coach. Wait ... never mind.

It took you a minute to realize it was the Browns we were talking about? Not even wolverine could last there. Last 4 coaches lasted 2 years or less with Chudzinski lasting only 1 season.

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 pm
Commissioner

Chip Kelly is the new head coach of the 49ers

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:53 pm
Packers Suck

dead_poet wrote:
Chip Kelly is the new head coach of the 49ers

Bwahahahahahahaha.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm
Commissioner

It'll be interesting to see what Chip can do with a quarterback that more closely seems to fit his offensive scheme and a pretty good running back (if he can come back healthy). Defense may need some work after all the turnover but I'm not sure there are a lot of missing pieces. The GM-Coach dynamic there may be interesting to watch. Baalke is kind of a power-hungry dude and Chip seems to have a lot of opinions on how his roster is constructed (he won't have control of the final 53 this time around). It'll be fun to watch their offseason moves and the draft.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:26 pm
Site Admin

It feels like ole Chip just CRUSHED the Eagles for years to come and has moved on. I'd be so pissed if I were an Eagles fan.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 pm
Defensive Tackle

Cliff wrote:
It feels like ole Chip just CRUSHED the Eagles for years to come and has moved on. I'd be so pissed if I were an Eagles fan.

I would too... and I'm somewhat surprised that SF would hire him after that.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:29 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I do think Chip overall is a good coach. I do not think he is a good guy to be in charge of everything, plus that's too much for one guy IMHO to do these days. I do know what his role is going to be with the 49ers, but he may be able to resurrect Kaepernick.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:33 pm
Commissioner

Quote:
Hearing Brad Childress likely as the OC for Pederson

Pederson is new Eagles HC

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next