2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Banquo
Backup

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by Banquo »

dead_poet wrote:Hmm.... (he is only 5'11 though...)

Walter Thurmond III - DB - Eagles

Impending free agent S/CB Walter Thurmond does not expect to be back with the Eagles.

"They only have $17 million in cap space," Thurmond said. "Economically it doesn’t make sense for them. I would love to be here. I love playing here. But that’s the way it is." Thurmond excelled in his first season as a safety, racking up 71 tackles, three interceptions and a fumble recovery which probably should have been ruled an interception. More importantly, Thurmond played 16 games for the first time in his career. Hybrid S/CBs are of growing importance in the NFL, and Thurmond showed he could play the position well. He should have plenty of interest.
Source: Delco Times
He'll be a risky signing for whoever lands him. They'll be paying for the outlier-- his only healthy season to date, his only season as a starter to date, and his only season as a safety to date. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed to fail, but it profiles as a move with a potentially low, low floor.

Rashad Johnson is another safety set to hit the market who's interesting. Very capable. A little older, but should be relatively inexpensive. Might be a more reasonable stop gap than Weddle while they develop someone. I love Weddle, but I'm not sold on investing THAT much money at safety, what with a big extension coming up for Smith.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Banquo wrote: He'll be a risky signing for whoever lands him. They'll be paying for the outlier-- his only healthy season to date, his only season as a starter to date, and his only season as a safety to date. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed to fail, but it profiles as a move with a potentially low, low floor.

Rashad Johnson is another safety set to hit the market who's interesting. Very capable. A little older, but should be relatively inexpensive. Might be a more reasonable stop gap than Weddle while they develop someone. I love Weddle, but I'm not sold on investing THAT much money at safety, what with a big extension coming up for Smith.
I'm not sold on Johnson. He can be opportunistic but from what I've seen he's very hot and cold and can be burned pretty easily. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he'd be over, say, Harris. What do you think about Gipson or George Iloka? The latter I'm most interested in. He's dealt with some injuries this season but had a pretty excellent 2014 (not too bad 2015 either). I would think his ties to Zimmer can only help (IF he makes it to free agency).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

dead_poet wrote: I'm not sold on Johnson. He can be opportunistic but from what I've seen he's very hot and cold and can be burned pretty easily. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he'd be over, say, Harris. What do you think about Gipson or George Iloka? The latter I'm most interested in. He's dealt with some injuries this season but had a pretty excellent 2014 (not too bad 2015 either). I would think his ties to Zimmer can only help (IF he makes it to free agency).
Iloka would be an ideal acquisition, but I think he'll cost. He's a pretty capable player and he's young.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What are the chances Eric Weddle has interest in playing here?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What are the chances Eric Weddle has interest in playing here?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Probably pretty good if the money is right. I have a sneaking suspicion the Vikings will pay Harrison Smith and look to fill the other spot via the draft or perhaps Harris or Newman, who will be cheaper.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: Probably pretty good if the money is right. I have a sneaking suspicion the Vikings will pay Harrison Smith and look to fill the other spot via the draft or perhaps Harris or Newman, who will be cheaper.
I think that Newman would fill in as a nice stopgap as Woodson transitioned with the Raiders. Anyone would be better than Suckdejo :puke:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

here's a list of pff's 2016 top offensive free agents. glenn and osemele stick out to me. i'd have no issue if we ponied up and brought one of them in to be our left tackle for the future and moved on from kalil.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ee-agency/
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

With no preconceived notions or biases for or against anybody (but for the Vikings to be the best, regardless), it was at the end of our last match against the Bears that I noticed Bridgewater talking to Jeffery on the field, and I had an uncontrollable tingling sensation overtake me for a moment. Could have been nothing though. :whistle:
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

purpletinted66 wrote:With no preconceived notions or biases for or against anybody (but for the Vikings to be the best, regardless), it was at the end of our last match against the Bears that I noticed Bridgewater talking to Jeffery on the field, and I had an uncontrollable tingling sensation overtake me for a moment. Could have been nothing though. :whistle:
Oh man, I hope not.

I would be elated to get Alshon Jeffrey over in GB, it would be so beautiful.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: Oh man, I hope not.

I would be elated to get Alshon Jeffrey over in GB, it would be so beautiful.
Rodgers would probably alienate him and end up making another enemy...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Rodgers would probably alienate him and end up making another enemy...
When has that ever happened?

Are you saying that because of Jennings #### fit? He is litterally the only player I ever heard talk crap about Rodgers, Ever.

Rodgers would make an HOFer out of Alshon, it would be a pleasure to watch those two play, but unfortunately TT would just lowball him until he is too offended to sign here. (Sigh)
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote:
When has that ever happened?

Are you saying that because of Jennings #### fit? He is litterally the only player I ever heard talk crap about Rodgers, Ever.

Rodgers would make an HOFer out of Alshon, it would be a pleasure to watch those two play, but unfortunately TT would just lowball him until he is too offended to sign here. (Sigh)
Its obvious that nobody likes Rodgers. He's a real cold fish and a jerk.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: Its obvious that nobody likes Rodgers. He's a real cold fish and a jerk.
I think you are projecting your own personal feelings outwards, Rodgers is a great leader and a great teammate. The only one who ever had a problem with Rodgers was Jennings and that was more about Jennings ego and personal sense of worth.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Jordysghost wrote: I think you are projecting your own personal feelings outwards, Rodgers is a great leader and a great teammate. The only one who ever had a problem with Rodgers was Jennings and that was more about Jennings ego and personal sense of worth.
60 Minutes
Joe Buck
Brett Favre
Donald Driver
Cancer Lady
Nick Barnett
Greg Jennings
Heath Evans
Olivia Munn
Everyone watching him on TV
Kevin
Rodger's Brother

Nobody likes him! :wink: (I'm just having fun with you Jordy...in case that wasn't clear)
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: 60 Minutes
Joe Buck
Brett Favre
Donald Driver
Cancer Lady
Nick Barnett
Greg Jennings
Heath Evans
Olivia Munn
Everyone watching him on TV
Kevin
Rodger's Brother

Nobody likes him! :wink: (I'm just having fun with you Jordy...in case that wasn't clear)
You had Favre, Jennings, and Kevin right at least!