Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Thoughts on Disappointing Seasons & Blair Walsh

Post by Mothman »

Don't forget, Walsh is one of the better kickoff kickers in the league. That matters, especially for a team that leans heavily on it's defense.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Don't forget, Walsh is one of the better kickoff kickers in the league. That matters, especially for a team that leans heavily on it's defense.
And heavily on kicking field goals instead of finishing drives with touchdowns.
glenecho
Veteran

Post by glenecho »

I'm mostly over the loss. I'm 47 and I lived through Gary Anderson's 1998 debacle and I'll live through this. Went to work...managed to crack a smile and make small talk even though the loss stings and the new of David Bowie's death has me stunned.

But as far as Walsh goes...I want him off the team. It takes a real head case to make 3 difficult field goals in the cold...and then miss on a complete chip shot when ALL the chips were down. We don't need a head case for a kicker (and he has shown other very strong signs of being a head case with serious confidence issues in the past as well).

I don't hate Walsh...no point in vilifying him online...or stupid death threats or anyting like that. I hope he does well in life. I just don't want a head case kicker on our team. He will do this again if he remains on the roster and it's simply something we don't need on the team.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Am I in the minority still thinking that it was mainly on Locke for a bad hold?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Jordysghost wrote:Am I in the minority still thinking that it was mainly on Locke for a bad hold?

I think that the usual assumption is when its this close the holder could hold it sideways and you should still power if through

I agree though, bad hold
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

Jordysghost wrote:Am I in the minority still thinking that it was mainly on Locke for a bad hold?
From that range though?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

vikesfan87 wrote: From that range though?
It wasn't just the laces direction, it was also a really oddly angled hold, I know most holders hold it at a slight angle but that looked more tilted then most.

With the weather factored in it just seemed like a mistake Locke couldnt have made.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Wasn't there a team that carried two kickers on the roster not that long ago... a long kicker for kickoffs and long FG tries, and another kicker for FG's inside 45 yards... anybody remember who that was?
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

The Blair Walsh miss reminds me of a situation we had up here in Canada. The Saskatchewan Roughriders lost the 2004 Western Final to the BC Lions because their K Paul McCallum missed a short FG in OT or something like that. He subsequently had cow manure (only in Saskatchewan) dumped on his lawn. You can be angry at him all you want, but I really hope people don't take it out on Blair in that fashion.
vikesfan87
All Pro Elite Player

Post by vikesfan87 »

soflavike wrote:Wasn't there a team that carried two kickers on the roster not that long ago... a long kicker for kickoffs and long FG tries, and another kicker for FG's inside 45 yards... anybody remember who that was?
I know the Calgary Stampeders carry three kickers actually (two are used for the purpose you state), but I'm pretty sure that's now who you're thinking of.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

IrishViking wrote:dude, I threw a number out there off the cuff.

Bottom line he is above average by your own admission.

You don't cut an above average player because emotions are running high after a loss. Thats how teams get destroyed
Should be easy to replace an average player, so why shouldnt the Vikings do that, with one hardly anyone I know has faith in? There have to be people in the FO that feel the same way.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Should be easy to replace an average player, so why shouldnt the Vikings do that, with one hardly anyone I know has faith in? There have to be people in the FO that feel the same way.

He's ranked above average apart from his PoI tries.

So that sorta makes the whole discussion moot

But I agree. Replacing average players isn't too hard.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

really feel for walsh today. I hope he realizes how important he was to our success all season and especially yesterday. we wouldn't have been in the game without him.

yes he should have made the kick. he and everyone on the planet knows that. but he didn't. those things happen in sports. overall I had a great time this season and i'm excited about our future. one that most likely will include AP and walsh.

I hope all of you have many great things going on in your life outside of the Vikes so this game doesn't weigh on you to heavily. personally, the loss hurt for a bit yesterday. then I played with my kids and our new family bulldog. I had a great afternoon with friends and a wonderful dinner. my kids are healthy and playing sports of their own that I get to be a fan of. golf is right around the corner and a trip to vegas is in the works. life is good!

SKOL my friends!!

:beerock: :beerock: :beerock:
i'm ready for a beer.
glenecho
Veteran

Post by glenecho »

I'm becoming a little annoyed at all the implications online that Walsh is being "attacked". I've been on social media and various football related boards since yesterday's loss and the worst thing I've seen is others like me that believe he should be released. I've not seen any name calling or death threats...yet most online social media outlets seems to want to imply that there have been. Minnesota fans are polite...almost to a fault. Nobody is calling for Walsh's demise...perhaps there are one or two fringe elements out there that are but by and large people have been forgiving. Almost too forgiving (I still think he should be released...NFL is no place for kickers that have choking/confidence issues).
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

glenecho wrote:I'm becoming a little annoyed at all the implications online that Walsh is being "attacked". I've been on social media and various football related boards since yesterday's loss and the worst thing I've seen is others like me that believe he should be released. I've not seen any name calling or death threats...yet most online social media outlets seems to want to imply that there have been. Minnesota fans are polite...almost to a fault. Nobody is calling for Walsh's demise...perhaps there are one or two fringe elements out there that are but by and large people have been forgiving. Almost too forgiving (I still think he should be released...NFL is no place for kickers that have choking/confidence issues).
...I mean, the whole section I was in started a "f@#$ Walsh" chant at the end of the game...