Bowl Games

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Bowl Games

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).
It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).
It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.[/quote]

I agree. It's just TOO big. You have to experience it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: It's truly beautiful....the whole Colorado Staircase in fact. I'm big into rock climbing...so the canyons keep me thoroughly entertained. I don't think people can really comprehend the Grand Canyon without being there in person.
I agree. It's just TOO big. You have to experience it.[/quote]

Looking forward to the day when my son (5 now) is able to join me for some backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Probably in a couple of years. I've never been myself, which is nuts cause I've traveled extensively out west. Due time!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Looking forward to the day when my son (5 now) is able to join me for some backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Probably in a couple of years. I've never been myself, which is nuts cause I've traveled extensively out west. Due time!
Yeah, get out there! ;)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.

Sweet place to inherit a house!

In Oregon you live without electricity?! Wow, Breeze, that's amazing. By that, do you mean you're off the grid (your own generator/ solar/ other) or completely w/o energy? I love the SW of the US too. I wish I had that access to the outdoors. North TX is brutal for scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, which is a hard pill to swallow for a guy who spent 10 years choosing places to live in the world based on that! I guess the good thing is that DFW has direct, short flights to Vegas. Looks like an easy 2.5 hour drive from there.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:
Sweet place to inherit a house!

In Oregon you live without electricity?! Wow, Breeze, that's amazing. By that, do you mean you're off the grid (your own generator/ solar/ other) or completely w/o energy? I love the SW of the US too. I wish I had that access to the outdoors. North TX is brutal for scenery and outdoor rec opportunities, which is a hard pill to swallow for a guy who spent 10 years choosing places to live in the world based on that! I guess the good thing is that DFW has direct, short flights to Vegas. Looks like an easy 2.5 hour drive from there.
Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
In Oregon I was a caretaker for a mountain property where I did lots of forest management stuff. I was building a small dwelling and just sleeping in a tent during the spring to fall months. No electrcity or running water. Had a small backpack panel to charge my phone and hauled water from one of the springs, cooked with a modified propane camp stove on an outdoor kitchen setup. Had a portable sawmill to use....so I fabricated lots of things ;)
In winter I would migrate to Maui and camp on a Taro farm restoration site...and had a similar setup. Or I would go to the Navajo rez where I would cut and sell fire wood for cash and look after some livestock in return for a dwelling with no electriity or running water.
Hard to get adjusted to at first...but once a routine is established it's like anything else.
Bathing is the kicker. On the oregon property there was a spring fed shower that ran off propane. On maui there was a solar shower and tub, and a small river.
On the rez....it was about heating pots of water on a wood stove or big propane burner for a bathtub. That was difficult at times lol.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
In Oregon I was a caretaker for a mountain property where I did lots of forest management stuff. I was building a small dwelling and just sleeping in a tent during the spring to fall months. No electrcity or running water. Had a small backpack panel to charge my phone and hauled water from one of the springs, cooked with a modified propane camp stove on an outdoor kitchen setup. Had a portable sawmill to use....so I fabricated lots of things ;)
In winter I would migrate to Maui and camp on a Taro farm restoration site...and had a similar setup. Or I would go to the Navajo rez where I would cut and sell fire wood for cash and look after some livestock in return for a dwelling with no electriity or running water.
Hard to get adjusted to at first...but once a routine is established it's like anything else.
Bathing is the kicker. On the oregon property there was a spring fed shower that ran off propane. On maui there was a solar shower and tub, and a small river.
On the rez....it was about heating pots of water on a wood stove or big propane burner for a bathtub. That was difficult at times lol.
Wow. Props, man! That's impressive. I've done that kind of thing while bike touring or backpacking, but it is always a temporary situation. I like what you said about getting adjusted--it's very true. I've lived in several different countries and completely integrated into those communities. It's like a channel in my being whenever I go back--I switch to that channel and feel completely "other". I can imagine that living without running water and electricity is similar: it just becomes your norm. Your posting here is all the more impressive given your limited access to electricity! I bet you don't take a hot shower for granted in Utah!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Tex
Ha! Posting on a phone isn't much fun at all. I have a hard time being very clear when expressing subjective opinions or anything that requires a long response, because I can't parse up quotes, or even look at them while I respond.
Another thing is that sometimes I just have to go and will windup in a place with no access for awhile. So, I get into a discussion for a couple days or whatever... then I wind having to drop it with no real warning. I usually just read the board and try to refrain from getting too involved comment-wise, cause I worry that might irk people. It just happened before the playoff game, I had to help out some friends on the Rez. It's why chose the handle I have. I kinda come and go :)
The shower and tub are like 5star ammenities for me indeed. Another thing is having fridge...
I'm heading down south for some climbing and gem shows...and warm weather. Might make it over to Texas to that sweet NP (big bend?) that you clued me into awhile back. Might get to have an IPA with you yet, and hear about your travels ;) That would be cool.
Enjoy the offseason, Tex~
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

The Breeze wrote: Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.
Yeah...Vegas is kinda the hub for these parts. It's reasnoably close to a lot of places.
That's awesome. Lot's of respect from me for doing that. Definitely sounds fun, but don't know if I could really do it. I love camping and have been able to get my wife to go more now that we bought a pop up trailer. I never minded tents, but she didn't like it much.

I live up north in Utah, but parents are in St. George now and I went to school down there back in the day. Would move down there in a second, but no real good jobs for what I do down there. Did a bit in Zions already and will be going back to moab this spring. We generally buy the National Park pass every year and always end up in Zions/Canyonlands/Arches/Escalante/Capitol Reef at some point.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Crax
Yeah the economy down here is not so good.
The Park pass is a great deal...especially in this area, but, as you know, it works at all of them so if you travel, it pays for itself quickly.
I like the culutre up north better but the land down here is one of a kind and it doesn't really cost me anything to be here, so i've embraced it some.
Check out Cedar Breaks if you haven't seen it...pretty cool~
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:@Tex
Ha! Posting on a phone isn't much fun at all. I have a hard time being very clear when expressing subjective opinions or anything that requires a long response, because I can't parse up quotes, or even look at them while I respond.
Another thing is that sometimes I just have to go and will windup in a place with no access for awhile. So, I get into a discussion for a couple days or whatever... then I wind having to drop it with no real warning. I usually just read the board and try to refrain from getting too involved comment-wise, cause I worry that might irk people. It just happened before the playoff game, I had to help out some friends on the Rez. It's why chose the handle I have. I kinda come and go :)
The shower and tub are like 5star ammenities for me indeed. Another thing is having fridge...
I'm heading down south for some climbing and gem shows...and warm weather. Might make it over to Texas to that sweet NP (big bend?) that you clued me into awhile back. Might get to have an IPA with you yet, and hear about your travels ;) That would be cool.
Enjoy the offseason, Tex~
That would definitely be cool, a Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' and lots of stories!

Big Bend is worth a stop if you find yourself out in West TX. Very unique place, not as impressive as where you are, but special all the same. I grew up on a lake in MN (constant boyhood adventures in canoes), so being in the desert is very exotic to me.

Shoot me a PM if you're ever in DFW~