The First Name Basis Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: The First Name Basis Thread

Post by S197 »

autobon7 wrote:So just how old does one have to be to be considered "the older fans on here"?
We haven't really nailed it down but a rough timeline would be something like:

Mesozoic period => Jim/Kapp => Tarkenton era => Chuck Foreman era => Herschel Walker trade => Culpepper era => AD era

I would say you fall in the older fan category if you're in one of the first 4
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: We haven't really nailed it down but a rough timeline would be something like:

Mesozoic period => Jim/Kapp => Tarkenton era => Chuck Foreman era => Herschel Walker trade => Culpepper era => AD era

I would say you fall in the older fan category if you're in one of the first 4

The second Tarkenton era (remember, he played in the "mesozoic" as well) and the Chuck Foreman era were pretty much the same. Tark played for the Vikes through '78. Foreman's last year as a Vike was '79.

The Walker trade was in '89 so you accidentally left out a decade. Maybe that's the Kramer era?

See, this is the kind of trivia you know when you're one of the "old guys". :)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Good question. I usually see that phrase used for those of us who watched the team in the '70s but I don't know the average age of a VMB member. I would think you'd at least have to remember watching the Vikes in the '80s.
Look at "old" this way. One of the biggest thrills in Jim's life was the day when the wheel was invented. :D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Look at "old" this way. One of the biggest thrills in Jim's life was the day when the wheel was invented. :D
Ha! This from a guy who remembers the discovery of fire! ;)
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

not a regular but i pop in from time to time.

name's jay. 39 live in san diego with my wife(packer fan) and 4 daughters. originally from louisiana and ended up in southern california after 6 years in the navy. still work around the navy as a electrical foreman of one of the major shipyards down this way.

been a viking fan since 1986. never could catch on with saints, but for some reason when i watched the vikes beat the saints in dec 1986 they stood out to me. very weird game. wade wilson was sacked like 7 times, but vikes won 33-17. since that day i've bled purple.

wanted to show my respect to this message board. my message board experiences started on the old espn boards back in the day. have to say this is a very well run board. not a lot of rif raff and a ton of knowledgeable, passionate, but respectful posters.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

slapnut19 wrote:not a regular but i pop in from time to time.

name's jay. 39 live in san diego with my wife(packer fan) and 4 daughters. originally from louisiana and ended up in southern california after 6 years in the navy. still work around the navy as a electrical foreman of one of the major shipyards down this way.

been a viking fan since 1986. never could catch on with saints, but for some reason when i watched the vikes beat the saints in dec 1986 they stood out to me. very weird game. wade wilson was sacked like 7 times, but vikes won 33-17. since that day i've bled purple.

wanted to show my respect to this message board. my message board experiences started on the old espn boards back in the day. have to say this is a very well run board. not a lot of rif raff and a ton of knowledgeable, passionate, but respectful posters.

Glad to here the "evil" Saints never caught on with you. :thumbsup: :D
Millard75
Waterboy

Post by Millard75 »

I watched my first game in 1962, went to my first game in 1969 at Met Stadium, watched all 4 Super Bowl losses, I'm a 2016 season ticket holder, we should have stayed outdoors. I love Diggs, dat's my boy.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Millard75 wrote:I watched my first game in 1962, went to my first game in 1969 at Met Stadium, watched all 4 Super Bowl losses, I'm a 2016 season ticket holder, we should have stayed outdoors. I love Diggs, dat's my boy.
And your name is...? lol
Millard75
Waterboy

Post by Millard75 »

DK Sweets wrote: And your name is...? lol
Yes! I did fail to mention that, Jeff.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

The First Name Basis Thread

Post by DK Sweets »

Millard75 wrote: Yes! I did fail to mention that, Jeff.
Welcome, Jeff. :)
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

Hey guys,

I'm obviously new here. The Vikings have always been my NFC team of choice, as about half my family came out of Minnesota and many of them still live there. I grew up in San Diego, so the Chargers have always been my main squeeze. But with the probability of relocation and the way the front office has handled that issue, I've really begun investing more in the Vikings over the last year or so and decided I'd like to join an online community. I've really enjoyed cheering for the Vikes in recent seasons, as Spielman has signed/drafted a lot of players that I was particularly fond of in college or as FA targets. And I loved the Zimmer/Turner hires. So all around, I'm pretty pleased with the direction of the franchise.

For the past 10 years or so, I've been pretty heavy into the draft. I still watch as much CFB and prospect tape as I have time for, but I no longer have the time to invest in it that I once did. As the Vikes have drafted many players who I loved in college (e.g. Harrison Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Xavier Rhodes, Eric Kendricks, Shariff Floyd, Everson Griffen, Phil Loadholt, Jerrick McKinnon, etc), I've become increasingly impressed with Spielman.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking football with you guys and learning from you especially about the back end of this roster, which I'm not as schooled on as I'd like to be.

Jesse
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Banquo wrote:Hey guys,

I'm obviously new here. The Vikings have always been my NFC team of choice, as about half my family came out of Minnesota and many of them still live there. I grew up in San Diego, so the Chargers have always been my main squeeze. But with the probability of relocation and the way the front office has handled that issue, I've really begun investing more in the Vikings over the last year or so and decided I'd like to join an online community. I've really enjoyed cheering for the Vikes in recent seasons, as Spielman has signed/drafted a lot of players that I was particularly fond of in college or as FA targets. And I loved the Zimmer/Turner hires. So all around, I'm pretty pleased with the direction of the franchise.

For the past 10 years or so, I've been pretty heavy into the draft. I still watch as much CFB and prospect tape as I have time for, but I no longer have the time to invest in it that I once did. As the Vikes have drafted many players who I loved in college (e.g. Harrison Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Xavier Rhodes, Eric Kendricks, Shariff Floyd, Everson Griffen, Phil Loadholt, Jerrick McKinnon, etc), I've become increasingly impressed with Spielman.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking football with you guys and learning from you especially about the back end of this roster, which I'm not as schooled on as I'd like to be.

Jesse
Welcome, Jesse :beerock:
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Welcome Jesse! Always glad to have a "new" fan around here.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hey guys,

Jesse
\

Welcome we all have times where there is less time to post... I actually have a pretty good feeling about the Vikings
overall..currently .. well will see over the next 2-3 years what happens.. welcome to the board
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Mothman wrote: Ha! This from a guy who remembers the discovery of fire! ;)
You guys got to be from the same Era, still using black and white cameras. *points toward display pictures* :tongue:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson