Bowl Games

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowl Games

Post by Texas Vike »

I am surprised there's no thread yet.

Oklahoma is up 7-0 in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl (semi final).

IMO, OK is ultimately no better than 3 other teams in the Big 12 (Baylor, TCU and OK St.), but I'm in their corner today.

In the Cotton Bowl, it's hard to go against Bama, though I think Mich. St. will give them a hard fought game.

Players to watch:
QB Connor Cook Mich St.; Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson; Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama; A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama; OL Conklin Mich. St. ; Shaq Lawson DE Clemson (hurt in first quarter); Jarran Reed DT Alabama; Jonathan Allen DE Alabama; Derrick Henry RB Alabama; Jayron Kearse SS Clemson.

Thoughts?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Bowl Games

Post by The Breeze »

I didn't watch either game....
The Spartans were a no show evidently.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:I didn't watch either game....
The Spartans were a no show evidently.

Yeah, Alabama's front four are absolutely dominant.

First game was a battle until OK's RBs both got hurt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote:I am surprised there's no thread yet.

Oklahoma is up 7-0 in the first quarter of the Orange Bowl (semi final).

IMO, OK is ultimately no better than 3 other teams in the Big 12 (Baylor, TCU and OK St.), but I'm in their corner today.

In the Cotton Bowl, it's hard to go against Bama, though I think Mich. St. will give them a hard fought game.

Players to watch:
QB Connor Cook Mich St.; Mackensie Alexander CB Clemson; Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama; A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama; OL Conklin Mich. St. ; Shaq Lawson DE Clemson (hurt in first quarter); Jarran Reed DT Alabama; Jonathan Allen DE Alabama; Derrick Henry RB Alabama; Jayron Kearse SS Clemson.

Thoughts?
I think if the playoffs started a couple of weeks sooner, OK would have beat Clemson. They were on a ROLL. That's why I hate how there is more than month between the games sometimes.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think if the playoffs started a couple of weeks sooner, OK would have beat Clemson. They were on a ROLL. That's why I hate how there is more than month between the games sometimes.
Do you mean they were on a roll at the end of the season? Wasn't Perrine hurt (and Mixon too?) after the TCU game? I love the Sooner's QB, one of my favorite players in CFB. The guy is a fighter.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

They were fine... They played awesome agaimst Oklahoma State. Im not saying it has to be the week after, but a month really kills momentum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:They were fine... They played awesome agaimst Oklahoma State. Im not saying it has to be the week after, but a month really kills momentum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I disagree. I like the time off to get guys back from injuries and refocus. Furthermore, these are students after all, they need to deal with final exams for fall semester and then have a bit of family time for the holidays. The good teams stay focused and keep their motivation.

On another note: DP, sorry to see your Hawkeyes take the brunt of Stanford's focused effort yesterday. Wow. They were impressive.

Lastly, I'm so disappointed in Boykin's horrible series of bad decisions which led to his arrest and suspension. Tonight's game between TCU and Oregon would have been super entertaining. I don't think the Horned Frogs have a chance without Boykin. They have a horrible defense, so their only hope was to put up big points (as they typically do)... which is very doubtful now.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.
holy crap! I checked that score and it was 38-3. I don't have tv....sure wish I had seen that one. 3ots.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Texas Vike wrote:TCU - Oregon was entertaining all the same! Wow, what a game.
I started watching that one right when TCU scored thir first points on a field goal, great Football game!
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote: holy crap! I checked that score and it was 38-3. I don't have tv....sure wish I had seen that one. 3ots.
Yeah, Oregon just stomped them in the first half. TCU looked like they were going to get skunked and embarrassed. They just couldn't do anything without Boykin (QB, suspended) or Doctson (WR, injured) on offense and their D couldn't contain O's QB and impressive WRs. Then Oregon's QB got injured, as did their Center, and suddenly the tables were turned. The center's injury was key because there were quite a few poor snaps in the 2nd half. Very exciting game to watch, by far the best this season.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote: Yeah, Oregon just stomped them in the first half. TCU looked like they were going to get skunked and embarrassed. They just couldn't do anything without Boykin (QB, suspended) or Doctson (WR, injured) on offense and their D couldn't contain O's QB and impressive WRs. Then Oregon's QB got injured, as did their Center, and suddenly the tables were turned. The center's injury was key because there were quite a few poor snaps in the 2nd half. Very exciting game to watch, by far the best this season.
I didn't know that about Oregon's center getting knocked out too. I saw that the Ducks netted 18yds of offense in the 2nd half. That's hard to imagine.
-
That Cactus bowl game looked pretty exciting as well. Probably should've made an effort to see some of these games....pretty good bowl season.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:@ Breeze

I just watched the highlights of the Cactus Bowl (that game started way too late for me here in CST), looks like it was a continuation of the TCU-Oregon game!

Did you move to S. Utah or is that a seasonal deal? Are you near the National Parks down there? Beautiful country in those parts---I need to get back to Zion NP and Bryce NP.
Hey, I'm about 40mins from Zion in Cedar City. I was born here and have inherited a house that i'm casually fixing up, maybe to rent som day. Mainly it's a place to keep my stuff and experience electricity...haven't had either in a long time.
Still an Oregon resident....but basically a nomad. I love the SW...southern Utah/northern AZ is probably the most incredible area in the world I've encountered. Really grateful to have a place here.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:@ Breeze

I do too... two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The north part of the Grand Canyon is in that area too! The landscape is just stunning everywhere you look (and the skies are too).