2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

slapnut19
Transition Player

Re: 2016 free agent players. Who do you like?

Post by slapnut19 »

my top two targets would be eric weddle and kelechi osemele. weddle is 30 so it wouldn't be a long term deal, and would give younger guys like harris and exum more time to develop. osemele has played guard and tackle and would give us a physical monster we could play in several spots. give me those two and a wr in the first round and i'm good.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PurpleMustReign wrote: First, Jeffery is NOT GOING ANYWHERE... he will be franchised if nothing else.
Second, I bet Wallace comes back next season with a revamped contract. The Vikings would be stupid to let him go because he is the only established WR we have. Teddy needs a WR like him, and they will have the entire offseason to work on their chemistry.
Yeah, I didn't mention Jeffery, just that a guy his size and skillset is what this team could use. The 50/50 get the ball guy.
-
The only control the Vikes have over Wallace is if they pay him what he's owed. He wanted out of Miami because the offense didn't look his way enough.
He'd be a nice fit in Dallas. If he doesn't want to stay and restructure, then I hope they can get something in a trade.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Wallace would do well with the Panthers I think. They take a lot of deep shots.

Sent using tapatalk. Typos should be expected.
Dr. FootBall
Waterboy

2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)

Post by Dr. FootBall »

Hello all, new to the board here. Been a Vikings fan since I can remember watching with my Dad and Uncles back in 1976.

Not sure if you guys heard the latest but the San Diego Chargers put Eric Weddle on the IR list against his wishes essentially severing ties between the two parties going into next year.

The Vikings were in on this guy back in July of 2011 but at the time had Madieu Williams on the roster and eventually lost out to the Chargers.

Well, he is available this off season and at 30 years old, brings plenty talent, experience and moxy to which ever team signs him.

Sure would love to see the Viking go aggressive and sign this guy.

Harrison Smith is a free agent after the 2017 season . I have no doubt the Vikings will re-sign him as he's worth his weight in gold. However, I'm not so sure about Sendejo.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well as what other free agents you all think the Vikings could target for next year.

Happy New Year to all of you.

R/
Doc
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2016 Free Agents (Eric Weddle)

Post by The Breeze »

I'd love to get Weddle for a coupla seasons while they groom either Harris or a draft pick.
-
Welcome to the board. Cool to see another member from the purple people eater era.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

There is already a similar topic on free agents in the NFL Talk.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Dr. FootBall
Waterboy

Post by Dr. FootBall »

Thanks guys. I've been searching everyday for articles or blogs concerning off season possibilities and there just aren't any. Babeball is much better at this but oh well. Put 2015 in the rear view mirror and I'm sure the bloggers will start weighing in.

I also would love to see Weddle in a Vikings uniform along side Harrison Smith. Wow! that would be devastating!

As far as the Vikings draft will go this April, I have seen everything from an OT to a WR to a SS. A possible Weddle signing to a 2 or 3 year contract would negate the need to draft that SS from USC (Su'a Cravens) that we've been linked to.

I didn't see the other thread concerning free agents for 2016 so I"ll take a look.

Thanks guys.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Dr. FootBall wrote:Thanks guys. I've been searching everyday for articles or blogs concerning off season possibilities and there just aren't any. Babeball is much better at this but oh well. Put 2015 in the rear view mirror and I'm sure the bloggers will start weighing in.

I also would love to see Weddle in a Vikings uniform along side Harrison Smith. Wow! that would be devastating!

As far as the Vikings draft will go this April, I have seen everything from an OT to a WR to a SS. A possible Weddle signing to a 2 or 3 year contract would negate the need to draft that SS from USC (Su'a Cravens) that we've been linked to.

I didn't see the other thread concerning free agents for 2016 so I"ll take a look.

Thanks guys.
Check out the College Football/ NFL Draft forum....Dead Poet has put in a ton of energy compiling scouting reports on just about every position. Lots of good info there.
Also, as the offseason gets closer, PHP (pondering her percy) will likely put lots of energy into the FA/draft scenarios...he has a real passion for it too. It makes it much more interesting. It's pretty fun to go back and read past draft day threads too. Draft day is easily one of the funner days here~
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'd rather see that $ go to address OL. Its going to be much more important to team success and its much hard to find a real contributor there in a rookie. If there's enough money to address both positions that's fine, but priority #1 is offensive line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Merged Weddle thread into this one (see "post subject" in each post to tell where the thread originated).

My thoughts on 2016 free agents? We better worry more about who we can retain rather than who we can pickup. We have a LOT of FA's come 2017.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

S197 wrote:Merged Weddle thread into this one (see "post subject" in each post to tell where the thread originated).

My thoughts on 2016 free agents? We better worry more about who we can retain rather than who we can pickup. We have a LOT of FA's come 2017.
IMO they had better sign "Dirty Harry" first and foremost! :beerock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

Weddle is one of my favorite players in the league right now, but I'd be very careful about how much and how long when it comes to a contract for him. He's only 30, but his body has endured a ton of contact. More often than not, he ended seasons as the Chargers' leading tackler. His play was as bad at times in 2015 as it's ever been in his career. It was unclear whether or not he was nursing an injury for portions of it. But as a player, he's incredibly versatile. He can cover better than most free safeties, and in the past he's been more effective in the box than most strong safeties. He and Smith would be amazing together because they could alternate roles at any given time. You just have to worry about him falling off a cliff performance wise with all the mileage on him. Then again, the Vikings front 7 is so drastically superior to anything that the Chargers have fielded in the last decade that he might thrive with the change in scenery.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:I'm pretty sure if the Vikings cut Wallace prior to June 1 they'll save his $11.5 million contract. He has zero guaranteed cash left. Those savings will come in handy.

According to overthecap.com, as it stands the Vikings will have a total 2016 cap number of $129,189,903. The 2016 NFL salary cap is expected to be between $147 million and $155 million. I'm not sure where that would rank them but they have one of the best in the business running the team's financials so I'm not concerned. If they want, they can make some day-1 free agent moves.

The highest cap numbers on the team are:

Mike Wallace: $11,500,000 (likely cut)
Matt Kalil: $11,096,000 (extended to lower 2016 cap number)
Adrian Peterson: $11,000,000 (Hmm...)
Everson Griffen: $8,200,000 (no change)
Phil Loadholt: $7,750,000 (hmmm....possibly short extension)
Kyle Rudolph: $7,300,000 (no change)
Linval Jospeh: $6,350,000 (no change)
John Sullivan: $5,833,333 (no change?)

Robison has a $5,050,000 cap hit and with Hunter coming on it'll be interesting what they do with him.

They'll have very little dead money, which is a very good thing.

I expect Harrison Smith to be re-signed this offseason, which will have some cap implications. Potentially Rhodes as well but I'm not sure if they don't wait on him. I would think Newman is re-signed for another one or two years.

Regarding the free agents...

Jeffery isn't going anywhere. Neither is Berry from the Chiefs. At least I'd be surprised if either reached free agency. But I'd take either or both.

I'm looking hard at Kelechi Osemele, Alex Boone, Tashaun Gipson and George Iloka. I have a pipe dream of Rick being shifty and somehow acquiring a (hopefully) re-instated Josh Gordon but Gordon isn't even re-instated yet, he's totally under Cleveland's control in 2016 IF he's reinstated and they lack SO much offensive weaponry that they'd be so dumb to get rid of him and I have no idea what his value would be anyway.
Some very interesting moves that will have to be made. I am not ready to proclaim that any moves SHOULD be made just yet (other than give Harrison a damn extension)!

There is still a remote chance that some of these players step-up in the playoffs (will the real Mike Wallace please stand up?).
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

I'd release Wallace without a 2nd thought. The guy's cap number is ridiculous and he hasn't had a 1,000 yard season since 2011. Plus, per Spotrac, there is no dead money associated with releasing him. Let him go and reinvest those funds on the interior of the offense and/or on extending young players who are actually worth it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmm.... (he is only 5'11 though...)

Walter Thurmond III - DB - Eagles

Impending free agent S/CB Walter Thurmond does not expect to be back with the Eagles.

"They only have $17 million in cap space," Thurmond said. "Economically it doesn’t make sense for them. I would love to be here. I love playing here. But that’s the way it is." Thurmond excelled in his first season as a safety, racking up 71 tackles, three interceptions and a fumble recovery which probably should have been ruled an interception. More importantly, Thurmond played 16 games for the first time in his career. Hybrid S/CBs are of growing importance in the NFL, and Thurmond showed he could play the position well. He should have plenty of interest.
Source: Delco Times
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly