Around the League -- Week 16

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Around the League -- Week 16

Post by dead_poet »

@AdamSchefter Cardinals S Tyrann Mathieu tore his ACL.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Around the League -- Week 16

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:

That's really too bad. He was having a great season. I think he knew it when it happened too. I think the rest of the team had an idea too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Anyone else worried that Rhodes will shut down Beckham and Beckham will for real, like, murder him on the field?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

TSonn wrote:Anyone else worried that Rhodes will shut down Beckham and Beckham will for real, like, murder him on the field?
Good chance right now Beckham won't be on the field if the reports are accurate.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14412 ... pended-nfl
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@NFLfootballinfo Odell Beckham Jr. has been suspended for 1 game. Official statement to follow.
@JasonLaCanfora Beckham will appeal suspension. Process will be expedited a final decision should come by midweek
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@RVacchianoNYDN Giants reviewed film of sidelines and determined Beckham was threatened by Panthers and taunted w/homophobic slurs, a source confirms ...
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote:
Of course he was. That's the excuse I would use. Taunting. That makes it ok for a helmet to helmet hit on a 7 yards run.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:
It actually wouldn't surprise me if it were true but it's not like it would excuse the behavior. I really can't think of any excuse that would be ok, honestly.

Awww, did he call you names and hurt your wee little feelings? Sack up and go score a touchdown on him then. Make him look like a fool on TV instead of yourself. If you were truly offended by what he was saying go to the league and/or media with it, that'd do way more damage anyway.

It was a cheap, dirty, dumb move by Beckham and he deserves to be out. If he had actually hurt him he'd deserve to be expelled from the league.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

dead_poet wrote:
I wouldn't mind the league reviewing those tapes as well as disciplining a few Panthers too. The Panthers remind me of the 2008-2010 Cleveland Cavaliers dancing all over the court despite not winning anything.

Still kinda cool that the Vikes were the last team to beat the Panthers in the regular season. And we destroyed them!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wouldn't mind the league reviewing those tapes as well as disciplining a few Panthers too. The Panthers remind me of the 2008-2010 Cleveland Cavaliers dancing all over the court despite not winning anything.

Still kinda cool that the Vikes were the last team to beat the Panthers in the regular season. And we destroyed them!
The Panthers play in a weak division .. I think they are playing good ball but we will see when they get deep in the playoffs and face
Arizona and Seattle(yes I know they beat Seattle earlier)
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Beckham, Norman, Newton...scum, scum, scum.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Interestingly, KC clinched a playoff spot, but Denver did not. Denver can get anywhere from the #1 seed to completely out of the playoffs.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Green Bay gave up more sacks, 9, than points scored, 8.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I know we aren't supposed to quote long articles, but this is fascinating to me:

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/ ... -3300-to-1
With the Texans win Sunday, the Indianapolis Colts' playoff chances are on life support.

Houston has already clinched at least a tie in each of the first five tiebreakers. So Indianapolis would need to forge a tie in the fifth tiebreaker (strength of victory) and win the sixth tiebreaker (strength of schedule) to win the AFC South.

It’s still mathematically possible, but the Colts would need 10 different games to break right (including the Monday Night Football game) to win the division. According to ESPN’s Football Power Index, there’s a 0.03 percent chance of that happening. The odds against it are 3,326-to-1!

So how would it happen? Buckle up ...

First the obvious results –- the Colts would need to win and the Texans lose to force a tie for the division title with an 8-8 record.

Each of the first four tiebreakers – head-to-head record, record in division games, record against common opponents, and record in conference games – would be tied in that scenario.

So we head to the strength of victory tiebreaker. Four of the wins would be identical, as both teams beat the Buccaneers, Jaguars and Titans (twice). Plus they’d have one win against their 8-8 co-champion. So strength of victory would rest on the Texans wins against the Bengals, Jets and Saints compared to the Colts wins against the Broncos, Falcons and Dolphins

Heading into Monday Night Football, those three Texans opponents have combined for 27 wins. The Colts three victims have 23 wins.

The only way for the Colts to catch the Texans is if its opponents win their final four games while the Texans foes lose their last four.

That means the following six results: the Broncos beat Bengals in Week 16, and in Week 17 the Bengals, Jets and Saints (against the Falcons) all lose while the Broncos and Dolphins win.

So we would head to the sixth tiebreaker –- strength of schedule.

Twelve of the 16 opponents are identical, plus the two games against their 8-8 co-champion. So the only difference in the schedule is Houston’s games against the Bengals and Chiefs and Indianapolis’s games against the Broncos and Steelers.

With the Broncos and Bengals results already factored into the tie in strength of victory, the only way for the Colts to have a tougher strength of schedule is if the Chiefs lose and the Steelers win.

So there you go –- if the Colts can pull off a 10-game parlay, they can represent the AFC South in the playoffs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleMustReign wrote:Interestingly, KC clinched a playoff spot, but Denver did not. Denver can get anywhere from the #1 seed to completely out of the playoffs.
So Denver can be #1, #2, #3, #5, #6, or out completely. Incredible.