View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 2016 draft: Receivers 
Commissioner

Post 2016 draft: Receivers
An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he "[doesn't] think there's a receiver this year that is that [Top-15 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft]."

One of the five scouts interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel compared Ole Miss junior wideout Laquon Treadwell to former Louisville star and current Dolphin DeVante Parker (who was drafted 14th overall by Miami). "Not a great group [of receivers]," the scout said, adding that "it's a similar situation to last year. I don't believe there's that dynamic speed guy like a Phillip Dorsett, which got him in the first round last year."
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:48 am
Commissioner

Post Re: 2016 draft: Receivers
Josh Doctson - WR - Horned Frogs

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) has "got great hands, maybe the best hands of [this draft-eligible class of wide receivers]."

The scout speculated that if Doctson's able to impress during the combine with his 40-time, he could crack the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound senior's currently rehabbing from a broken left wrist suffered against Oklahoma State on November 7. His status for the Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon on January 2 should become known on Thursday after his cast is removed. He's already accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl as he prepares for his draft journey.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 am
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he "[doesn't] think there's a receiver this year that is that [Top-15 selection in the 2016 NFL Draft]."

One of the five scouts interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel compared Ole Miss junior wideout Laquon Treadwell to former Louisville star and current Dolphin DeVante Parker (who was drafted 14th overall by Miami). "Not a great group [of receivers]," the scout said, adding that "it's a similar situation to last year. I don't believe there's that dynamic speed guy like a Phillip Dorsett, which got him in the first round last year."

And? Look how Dorsett is performing. Every year we see the same thing. Time after time, these players with impressive measurable are being over-drafted. What happened to the good old days of just seeing a guy can play the position or not?

Sometimes, I question the ability of some of scouts. Not saying I would be any better, but, it gives an individual pause.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) has "got great hands, maybe the best hands of [this draft-eligible class of wide receivers]."

The scout speculated that if Doctson's able to impress during the combine with his 40-time, he could crack the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound senior's currently rehabbing from a broken left wrist suffered against Oklahoma State on November 7. His status for the Valero Alamo Bowl against Oregon on January 2 should become known on Thursday after his cast is removed. He's already accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl as he prepares for his draft journey.

Cool personal note on Doctson: he wasn't a highly esteemed player coming out of HS here in the DFW metro area. As a three star recruit, he went to Wyoming, initially, His mother is the vice chancellor of marketing and communication at TCU, so he transferred after one year and worked on technique as he sat out one year per NCAA rules. What I like about his story is that he worked at his craft with discipline and became a seriously talented RECEIVER. He's not just a track star (like Listenbee, who literally is a track star), he's a very talented catcher of the football.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:08 pm
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Cool personal note on Doctson: he wasn't a highly esteemed player coming out of HS here in the DFW metro area. As a three star recruit, he went to Wyoming, initially, His mother is the vice chancellor of marketing and communication at TCU, so he transferred after one year and worked on technique as he sat out one year per NCAA rules. What I like about his story is that he worked at his craft with discipline and became a seriously talented RECEIVER. He's not just a track star (like Listenbee, who literally is a track star), he's a very talented catcher of the football.

You might like this: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/24/rs ... h-doctson/

If you liked that there are some great longer-form analysis on Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard and Laquon Treadwell

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:25 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

You might like this: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/24/rs ... h-doctson/

If you liked that there are some great longer-form analysis on Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepard and Laquon Treadwell

Interesting video. I wanted to hear him address contested balls/ Doctson's ability to out jump/ out maneuver guys.

See, especially, from 2:40 to 3:40 mark in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fd7A14Ubo

But I liked this guy's analysis.

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:11 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:

Nice! The Vikings could use more of that kind of playmaking in their offense.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:09 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

Nice! The Vikings could use more of that kind of playmaking in their offense.

Do you think Teddy would open things up and take some risks if he had Doctson or a similar WR? I mean, Boykin (TCU QB) just knew that if he had Doctson in single coverage his man would come down with the ball no matter what. I see Teddy do that a bit with Rudy, but no one else really. He seems to like a very large margin for error, so if a WR's special talent is to go up and win contested balls, but we have a QB who will never throw contested balls... it would be a wasted talent.

I'd focused on 2:40 to 3:40, but that opening catch against the Gophers --among many others in the video-- are just amazing catches and a testament to what he can do.

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:25 pm
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Do you think Teddy would open things up and take some risks if he had Doctson or a similar WR?

I'd like to think so.

Quote:
I mean, Boykin (TCU QB) just knew that if he had Doctson in single coverage his man would come down with the ball no matter what. I see Teddy do that a bit with Rudy, but no one else really. He seems to like a very large margin for error, so if a WR's special talent is to go up and win contested balls, but we have a QB who will never throw contested balls... it would be a wasted talent.

I agree but honestly, at that point I'd say look for a for a new QB because if they get Bridgewater a weapon with that capability and he's unwilling to take advantage of it, he's the wrong guy for the job. I think your take above is right on target. Maybe his willingness to take some of those chances when throwing to Rudolph is an indication that he just needs the right receiver to trust.

Quote:
I'd focused on 2:40 to 3:40, but that opening catch against the Gophers --among many others in the video-- are just amazing catches and a testament to what he can do.

Indeed. He's impressive. I just wish people didn't insist on using terrible rap as the accompaniment to so many highlight videos!

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Indeed. He's impressive. I just wish people didn't insist on using terrible rap as the accompaniment to so many highlight videos!

I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids, but avoiding offensive language would probably be a good call. I wonder if players get to have ANY say in the song selection... likely not. Doctson, from what I know, is a really mature and responsible kid, hyper-aware that anything he does reflects on his mother, an important administrator at TCU.

My one concern with Doctson is his slender build and whether he can withstand the hits. He's battled some injuries.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 am
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids, but avoiding offensive language would probably be a good call. I wonder if players get to have ANY say in the song selection... likely not. Doctson, from what I know, is a really mature and responsible kid, hyper-aware that anything he does reflects on his mother, an important administrator at TCU.

My one concern with Doctson is his slender build and whether he can withstand the hits. He's battled some injuries.

How many has he had in his career? I'm not worried long-term about the wrist injury he sustained this year.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am
Commissioner

An AFC North scout pegs TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) as a third-round talent.

"Josh Doctson has had a terrific last two years in college, especially in 2015," he said. "He used his size and talents to great benefit, and played over the top of most defenders, and sometimes surprised people with a burst of speed. Overall, I like his talents, but I am not projecting him anywhere near the first round -- as is often heard when he plays a televised game. Right now, I have him graded as an early third rounder." Doctson's hands, leaping ability, size and power were almost unfair against college CBs in TCU's system, but the NFL wants him to prove that he has the speed to get downfield against NFL secondaries and the fluidity to get out of breaks on a dime. Dec 16 - 8:03 PM
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -than-bosa

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am
Rookie

Rap is popular among current players and especially the younger guys so it makes sense to use the same music that the players use to get hype for the highlights.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I know! I decided not to say, "turn off the sound" in order to avoid sounding like a crusty curmudgeon, but yeah... what is with that song? I'm not advocating Peter, Paul and Mary for your highlight vids...

:lol: I'm now imagining that same set of highlights playing to "Puff the Magic Dragon".

Quote:

That's always a legit concern but he sure seems to possess the kind of skills and playmaking ability the Vikes need.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 am
Defensive Tackle

randomghost11 wrote:
Rap is popular among current players and especially the younger guys so it makes sense to use the same music that the players use to get hype for the highlights.

I understand that and it makes sense. It's not the use of rap that bugs me so much as the song choices, which often seem irritating and grating to me. I usually end up turning the sound down. Then again, most of the rap I like is 15+ years old now.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:23 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
randomghost11 wrote:

I understand that and it makes sense. It's not the use of rap that bugs me so much as the song choices, which often seem irritating and grating to me. I usually end up turning the sound down. Then again, most of the rap I like is 15+ years old now.

Same here. Give me some PE... nobody compares to Chuck D.

For me, dropping S bombs and the N word just isn't right in a video that promotes a player. It's that player's reputation ahead of the draft, after all.

@Moth: Puff the magic dragon! Funny! Tipper Gore would point out that even that song is the devil's work--it's about marijuana use! The horror!

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:30 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
An AFC North scout pegs TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) as a third-round talent.

"Josh Doctson has had a terrific last two years in college, especially in 2015," he said. "He used his size and talents to great benefit, and played over the top of most defenders, and sometimes surprised people with a burst of speed. Overall, I like his talents, but I am not projecting him anywhere near the first round -- as is often heard when he plays a televised game. Right now, I have him graded as an early third rounder." Doctson's hands, leaping ability, size and power were almost unfair against college CBs in TCU's system, but the NFL wants him to prove that he has the speed to get downfield against NFL secondaries and the fluidity to get out of breaks on a dime. Dec 16 - 8:03 PM
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -than-bosa

Well, I hope he DOES slide to the 3rd. I'd love to pick him up that late. He is the kind of WR we need.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
randomghost11 wrote:

Same here. Give me some PE... nobody compares to Chuck D.

For me, dropping S bombs and the N word just isn't right in a video that promotes a player. It's that player's reputation ahead of the draft, after all.

@Moth: Puff the magic dragon! Funny! Tipper Gore would point out that even that song is the devil's work--it's about marijuana use! The horror!

That song is about marijuana use?!!!?

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Well, I hope he DOES slide to the 3rd. I'd love to pick him up that late. He is the kind of WR we need.

Yeah, grabbing him in the 3rd round sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

From wikipedia:
Quote:
After the song's initial success, speculation arose — as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek — that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] The word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.[6]

The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use.[7] Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that the song is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking.[8][9] He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".[10]

In 1976, Yarrow's bandmate Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary also upheld the song's innocence. He recorded a version of the song at the Sydney Opera House in March 1976,[11] in which he set up a fictitious trial scene. The Prosecutor accused the song of being about marijuana, but Puff and Jackie protested. The judge finally left the case to the jury (the Opera House audience) and said if they will sing along with the song, it would be acquitted. The audience joined in with Stookey, and at the end of their sing-along, the judge declared: "case dismissed."

:lol:

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:06 am
Defensive Tackle

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote:

From wikipedia:
Quote:
After the song's initial success, speculation arose — as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek — that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] The word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.[6]

The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use.[7] Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that the song is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking.[8][9] He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".[10]

In 1976, Yarrow's bandmate Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary also upheld the song's innocence. He recorded a version of the song at the Sydney Opera House in March 1976,[11] in which he set up a fictitious trial scene. The Prosecutor accused the song of being about marijuana, but Puff and Jackie protested. The judge finally left the case to the jury (the Opera House audience) and said if they will sing along with the song, it would be acquitted. The audience joined in with Stookey, and at the end of their sing-along, the judge declared: "case dismissed."

:lol:

That's pretty funny. I didn't know about the fictitious trial scene. I've always thought that, if the songwriters didn't intend the seemingly obvious references to marijuana use that they must have crept in subconsciously. Maybe they did some tokin' up while writing the song? They named the dragon "Puff" for Pete's* sake!

* not Peter Yarrow.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:32 am
Commissioner

Quote:
@NFLFilmStudy Can't say this for most WR prospects; Laquon Treadwell has that ability to win at every single point of the play. Release, cuts, catch point

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
Quote:
@NFLFilmStudy Can't say this for most WR prospects; Laquon Treadwell has that ability to win at every single point of the play. Release, cuts, catch point

I like this kid. He made teams pay for bad tackling. 6'3" 216, his build is NFL ready. No way we draft him, though. He's projected as a top ten pick.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:32 am
Commissioner

RSP Boiler Room No.2: Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/07/rs ... treadwell/

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 am
Commissioner

Tyler Boyd - WR - Panthers

Pittsburgh junior WR Tyler Boyd has declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Boyd got creative with his farewell to Pittsburgh, composing a poetic letter covering his feelings about football. Among some of the lines of note, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound junior said, "I will carry you with me/I will continue to make you proud &/I promise to never forget where I came from." This season he caught 91 passes for 925 yards and six scores. He finishes his Pitt career having totaled 254 catches, 3,361 yards and 21 touchdowns. The strong-handed receiver's a route-running savant and could find success in the NFL out of the slot. Boyd could be drafted as early as the second round, though it's possible he falls to the third or fourth.
Source: CBS Sports

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:52 am
Commissioner

Michael Thomas - WR - Buckeyes

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Ohio State redshirt junior WR Michael Thomas is an "ideal No. 2 NFL WR."

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Thomas has hauled in 49 receptions for 709 yards, while averaging 14.5 yards a catch, with 8 touchdowns on the season. Brugler adds that Thomas showcases "very good size, routes, hands," and can be a "difference-maker when utilized."
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am
Backup

I haven't watched enough to be 100% sold on him as a first rounder, but Josh Doctson certainly wins at the catch point as a jump ball threat. If you consider that as the skill set most lacking in the Vikings' receiving corps, he becomes an interesting prospect for us.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:14 pm
Commissioner

He won't last past 15.

Laquon Treadwell - WR - Rebels

Ole Miss junior WR Laquon Treadwell officially declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Treadwell will be widely viewed as the No. 1 receiver in the class, and for good reason. Expect to see Treadwell compared to Dez Bryant and Alshon Jeffery, among others. Treadwell rebounded from a serious knee injury in 2014 and dominated his competition this year, displaying strength before and after the catch. He projects as a No. 1 receiving target on an NFL team.
Source: Ole Miss FB on Twitter

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:20 pm
Commissioner

Kenny Lawler - WR - Golden Bears

California redshirt junior WR Kenny Lawler declared for the NFL Draft.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Lawler finished with 52 catches for 658 yards and 13 scores this season. We've loosely compared Lawler to a poor man's Josh Doctson because his routes need work, but he's big and athletic and will fight for the ball downfield. CBS Sports' Rob Rang told The San Francisco Chronicle that Lawler is likely to go in the second or third round of April’s draft.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:41 am
Commissioner

Early #ReceptionPerception takeaways on Laqoun Treadwell, Sterling Shepard, Corey Coleman and Josh Doctson bit.ly/20a6tq5

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next