2016 draft: Receivers

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2016 draft: Receivers

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I understand that and it makes sense. It's not the use of rap that bugs me so much as the song choices, which often seem irritating and grating to me. I usually end up turning the sound down. Then again, most of the rap I like is 15+ years old now.
Same here. Give me some PE... nobody compares to Chuck D.

For me, dropping S bombs and the N word just isn't right in a video that promotes a player. It's that player's reputation ahead of the draft, after all.

@Moth: Puff the magic dragon! Funny! Tipper Gore would point out that even that song is the devil's work--it's about marijuana use! The horror!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:An AFC North scout pegs TCU senior WR Josh Doctson (wrist) as a third-round talent.

"Josh Doctson has had a terrific last two years in college, especially in 2015," he said. "He used his size and talents to great benefit, and played over the top of most defenders, and sometimes surprised people with a burst of speed. Overall, I like his talents, but I am not projecting him anywhere near the first round -- as is often heard when he plays a televised game. Right now, I have him graded as an early third rounder." Doctson's hands, leaping ability, size and power were almost unfair against college CBs in TCU's system, but the NFL wants him to prove that he has the speed to get downfield against NFL secondaries and the fluidity to get out of breaks on a dime. Dec 16 - 8:03 PM
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -than-bosa

Well, I hope he DOES slide to the 3rd. I'd love to pick him up that late. He is the kind of WR we need.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Same here. Give me some PE... nobody compares to Chuck D.

For me, dropping S bombs and the N word just isn't right in a video that promotes a player. It's that player's reputation ahead of the draft, after all.

@Moth: Puff the magic dragon! Funny! Tipper Gore would point out that even that song is the devil's work--it's about marijuana use! The horror!
That song is about marijuana use?!!!?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Well, I hope he DOES slide to the 3rd. I'd love to pick him up that late. He is the kind of WR we need.
Yeah, grabbing him in the 3rd round sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
That song is about marijuana use?!!!?

From wikipedia:
After the song's initial success, speculation arose — as early as a 1964 article in Newsweek — that the song contained veiled references to smoking marijuana.[5] The word "paper" in the name of Puff's human friend (Jackie Paper) was said to be a reference to rolling papers, and the word "dragon" was interpreted as "draggin'," i.e. inhaling smoke; similarly, the name "Puff" was alleged to be a reference to taking a "puff" on a joint. The supposition was claimed to be common knowledge in a letter by a member of the public to The New York Times in 1984.[6]

The authors of the song have repeatedly rejected this urban legend and have strongly and consistently denied that they intended any references to drug use.[7] Peter Yarrow has frequently explained that the song is about the hardships of growing older and has no relationship to drug-taking.[8][9] He has also said of the song that it "never had any meaning other than the obvious one" and is about the "loss of innocence in children".[10]

In 1976, Yarrow's bandmate Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary also upheld the song's innocence. He recorded a version of the song at the Sydney Opera House in March 1976,[11] in which he set up a fictitious trial scene. The Prosecutor accused the song of being about marijuana, but Puff and Jackie protested. The judge finally left the case to the jury (the Opera House audience) and said if they will sing along with the song, it would be acquitted. The audience joined in with Stookey, and at the end of their sing-along, the judge declared: "case dismissed."
:lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
From wikipedia: :lol:
That's pretty funny. I didn't know about the fictitious trial scene. I've always thought that, if the songwriters didn't intend the seemingly obvious references to marijuana use that they must have crept in subconsciously. Maybe they did some tokin' up while writing the song? They named the dragon "Puff" for Pete's* sake!

* not Peter Yarrow.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@NFLFilmStudy Can't say this for most WR prospects; Laquon Treadwell has that ability to win at every single point of the play. Release, cuts, catch point
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:

I like this kid. He made teams pay for bad tackling. 6'3" 216, his build is NFL ready. No way we draft him, though. He's projected as a top ten pick.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

RSP Boiler Room No.2: Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/07/rs ... treadwell/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Tyler Boyd - WR - Panthers

Pittsburgh junior WR Tyler Boyd has declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Boyd got creative with his farewell to Pittsburgh, composing a poetic letter covering his feelings about football. Among some of the lines of note, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound junior said, "I will carry you with me/I will continue to make you proud &/I promise to never forget where I came from." This season he caught 91 passes for 925 yards and six scores. He finishes his Pitt career having totaled 254 catches, 3,361 yards and 21 touchdowns. The strong-handed receiver's a route-running savant and could find success in the NFL out of the slot. Boyd could be drafted as early as the second round, though it's possible he falls to the third or fourth.
Source: CBS Sports
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Michael Thomas - WR - Buckeyes

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Ohio State redshirt junior WR Michael Thomas is an "ideal No. 2 NFL WR."

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Thomas has hauled in 49 receptions for 709 yards, while averaging 14.5 yards a catch, with 8 touchdowns on the season. Brugler adds that Thomas showcases "very good size, routes, hands," and can be a "difference-maker when utilized."
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Banquo
Backup

Post by Banquo »

I haven't watched enough to be 100% sold on him as a first rounder, but Josh Doctson certainly wins at the catch point as a jump ball threat. If you consider that as the skill set most lacking in the Vikings' receiving corps, he becomes an interesting prospect for us.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

He won't last past 15.

Laquon Treadwell - WR - Rebels

Ole Miss junior WR Laquon Treadwell officially declared for the 2016 NFL Draft.

Treadwell will be widely viewed as the No. 1 receiver in the class, and for good reason. Expect to see Treadwell compared to Dez Bryant and Alshon Jeffery, among others. Treadwell rebounded from a serious knee injury in 2014 and dominated his competition this year, displaying strength before and after the catch. He projects as a No. 1 receiving target on an NFL team.
Source: Ole Miss FB on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kenny Lawler - WR - Golden Bears

California redshirt junior WR Kenny Lawler declared for the NFL Draft.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Lawler finished with 52 catches for 658 yards and 13 scores this season. We've loosely compared Lawler to a poor man's Josh Doctson because his routes need work, but he's big and athletic and will fight for the ball downfield. CBS Sports' Rob Rang told The San Francisco Chronicle that Lawler is likely to go in the second or third round of April’s draft.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Early #ReceptionPerception takeaways on Laqoun Treadwell, Sterling Shepard, Corey Coleman and Josh Doctson bit.ly/20a6tq5