2016 mock drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2016 mock drafts

Post by dead_poet »

11/25: Luke Easterling: http://draftbreakdown.com/mockdrafts/lu ... draft-2-0/

Shaq Lawson - EDGE - Clemson
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 mock drafts

Post by dead_poet »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... n-bay-area
27. Minnesota Vikings: Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
A lot of fingers can be pointed as to why the Vikings rank near the bottom of the league in passing yards, but the lack of perimeter weapons is a substantial reason. Thomas doesn't have elite speed, but he separates with crisp routes and displays NFL ballskills.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

He looks solid, but I'd much rather have Doctson in the 2nd (possibly having to move up a bit). Thomas dominates the middle of the field and his strength seems to be his route running and YAC. Seems like a Diggs clone. I'd rather have a guy that can go up and win deep balls with speed and amazing vertical ability. That's Doctson. He'll be an NFL star, I have no doubts about it.

I'd like a SS or OL in the first and Doctson in the 2nd.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:
He looks solid, but I'd much rather have Doctson in the 2nd (possibly having to move up a bit). Thomas dominates the middle of the field and his strength seems to be his route running and YAC. Seems like a Diggs clone. I'd rather have a guy that can go up and win deep balls with speed and amazing vertical ability. That's Doctson. He'll be an NFL star, I have no doubts about it.

I'd like a SS or OL in the first and Doctson in the 2nd.
I got to watch some of Doctson and he's pretty good for sure. Big guy who had a huge year. The knocks on him is that he's not very fast and will have to adjust from playing in a spread offense. Hopefully the wrist injury isn't a long-term concern. It'd be pretty surprising if he lasted until the 2nd round.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:
I got to watch some of Doctson and he's pretty good for sure. Big guy who had a huge year. The knocks on him is that he's not very fast and will have to adjust from playing in a spread offense. Hopefully the wrist injury isn't a long-term concern. It'd be pretty surprising if he lasted until the 2nd round.
There's still a lot of time between now and the draft, but even early projections have him in the top half of the 2nd round, from what I've seen. I'll be interested to see what he runs the 40 in. He's shown no lack of top end speed on the field, but I suspect he isn't on par with the fastest WRs. That may cause him to drop a bit too. More importantly, he is a craftsman and simply an amazing catcher of the ball--especially long and high balls.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Luke_Spinman My "Vikings Draft Wish List at The End of Round One" il be handing Santa Spielman so far
Duke S Jermey Cash
USC LB Sua Cravens
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Matt Miller (12/8):
Linebacker Su'a Cravens, USC

The linebacking corps in Minnesota has seen a very athletic remake in the last two seasons with the additions of Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks, but the rebuild isn't done yet. A weak-side linebacker with range, coverage skills and the ability to pressure the quarterback could still work here. And USC's Cravens has made that kind of impact since moving from strong safety this season.

Cravens is a defensive weapon whom head coach Mike Zimmer could unleash on NFC North offenses. His experience at strong safety shows he can cover tight ends at the line and down the field, and in his 2015 season he showed promise as an edge defender and pass-rusher, especially against Notre Dame and Stanford.

Cravens may not fill the biggest need in Minnesota, but without an offensive tackle worth drafting here, he is the best mix of value and need.
R2: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
R3: Rashard Higgins, WR, Colorado St.

I approve of all of these. Cravens is a Polumalu-like guy that Zimmer would love to move around and create havoc. Ifedi projects to guard (but may be able to play RT), btw. Higgins isn't overly tall (6'2) but quite productive (1,750 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2014). Dealt with some injuries this season.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

26. Minnesota Vikings: Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
A lot of fingers can be pointed as to why the Vikings rank near the bottom of the league in passing yards, but the lack of perimeter weapons is a substantial reason. Thomas doesn't have elite speed, but he separates with crisp routes and displays NFL ballskills.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... boys-covet
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I like Will Fuller out of ND.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

For the love of christ, please no more Ohio State receivers... Last one who did anything respectable was Santonio Holmes. I suppose Ted Ginn Jr. this year, but other than that... I got fooled by Devin Smith last year, but, he doesn't like special in the NFL yet.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: For the love of christ, please no more Ohio State receivers... Last one who did anything respectable was Santonio Holmes. I suppose Ted Ginn Jr. this year, but other than that... I got fooled by Devin Smith last year, but, he doesn't like special in the NFL yet.
I will be very disappointed if we draft another WR in the first two rounds. We have WRs. We need OL and Safety talent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: For the love of christ, please no more Ohio State receivers... Last one who did anything respectable was Santonio Holmes. I suppose Ted Ginn Jr. this year, but other than that... I got fooled by Devin Smith last year, but, he doesn't like special in the NFL yet.

I feel similarly. His production wasn't amazing either ... nor is his speed... I feel like OSU players get overvalued a bit. Doctson will be the better WR in the NFL. Corey Coleman from Baylor too.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dane Brugler (12/13):
24. Minnesota Vikings: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
A lot of fingers can be pointed as to why the Vikings rank near the bottom of the league in passing yards, but the lack of perimeter weapons is a substantial reason. Doctson is a good-sized athlete with superior ballskills to make an impact as a NFL rookie.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -round-mix
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@PFF first mock (12/15)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... draft-1-0/
24. Minnesota Vikings: Leontee Carroo, WR, Rutgers
The Vikings look to aid in QB Teddy Bridgewater’s development by adding Carroo who is adept at getting open on vertical routes. He averaged 4.11 yards per route this season while grading at +15.0 in only eight games.
Edit: Carroo is a stud for sure but he's going to fall in the draft due to his suspension if not taken off of some teams' draft boards entirely. If reports are true of his alleged domestic violence assault it's in the Ray Rice territory -- if not worse.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Dane Brugler (12/13):
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -round-mix
Wow. He had been projected for the mid-2nd. I think his actual worth is late first, so I agree with Brugler.