The Official Officiating Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Official Officiating Thread

Post by 808vikingsfan »

DK Sweets wrote:No doubt, but I believe that with even one of those 4 players healthy at the end of last night's game they would still be undefeated right now. It's a shame that they had a chance for something special but injuries crushed that possibility.

Don't get me wrong, if they lose, they lose. But I'd rather see them lose because they weren't good enough than because they lost virtually every player that Tom Brady has a rapport with.
Eh. Don't care either way. I didn't think they played anyone yet this year so I had my doubts on how good they really were in the first place.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

They need to make some of the rules simple...

Passing, hits on QB.. Teddy two hits this year that I think didn't need to happen

on a blatant dirty hit.. automatic touchdown for other team and two game suspension minimum for player

I know the one crew that cost a game this year had already been suspended for that. last season
if a ref can't do the job.. he is gone IMO
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:I view the Patriots differently than many people, but I find it hard to believe that anybody really feels good about seeing a potentially historic season derailed by Tom Brady losing his top 4 targets.
That's a fair assessment. The Panthers are still in the hunt so all is not lost.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

halfgiz wrote: 12 -3 penalties and you say the Bears should have been flagged a few more times. What's there to debate? :lol: :lol:
You really think every team is equally as disciplined? So the year the Packers led in penalties, we were being slighted by the refs that year?

Hell, by your logic I can complain about the refs every team my team has more penalties then the other.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Found on another forum.

GB near the top on the beneficiary list and at the bottom on the against list.

Automatic First Downs
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

In light of some of the articles i've been reading regarding the beating officals are taking lately a few thoughts:

First and foremost is the idea that officials should be allowed to throw a flag with the intent of looking at a replay to get a close play correct. Basically, any close play, whether it's a judgement call or not, is up for review, just like in baseball.
It would slow the game some but getting the right call goes a long way to improving the game overall and disperses the whole conspiracy angle.
The refs could relax more and be less controversial if replay was seen as their tool rather than something continually challenging them.
-
Second is fixing some of the really dubious rules so that anyone can interpet them.....most glaringly the 'catch rule'.
Another rule that makes zero sense is the automatic 1st down awarded to offenses in goal to goal situations on PI and defensive holding (not eactly and officiating issue..just bugs the hell outta me) How in the world is it fair to award a new set of downs in that situation? It isn't, it makes zero sense and punishes defenses who may have made brilliantf goal line stands up to the point of the infraction.
Half the distance replay the down.
-
The biggest issue to me is making sure crews are calling infractions consistently...like the encroachment rule when QBs use hard counts, for example.
All in all the refs do a great job IMO...but the technology should be there to help them.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Nice post Breeze. I'm not entirely sure if I grew with you on goal line penalties, but I understand the point. Everything else is spot on.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

DK Sweets wrote:Nice post Breeze. I'm not entirely sure if I grew with you on goal line penalties, but I understand the point. Everything else is spot on.
The goal line thing never stood out to me until i realized that awarding a team a new set of downs when it was physically and mathematically impossible for them to gain one by yards alone is kind of weird.
-
What struck me about todays game in terms of inconsistency was how each ref will view unnecessary roughness.
That's the one call that will almost always be pure judgement....and I do feel certain QBs as well as their weapons, get the benefit of the doubt there. Not so much a conspiracy as it is just how it seems to be an institutionalized behavior, as evidenced in the ref's comment toward Cam Newton earlier in the year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Someone posted this on another forum.

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

808vikingsfan wrote:Someone posted this on another forum.
Not sure how that was not holding in the end zone...but McGuire surely thought it was and he didn't say another word after he said so, while the other two lauded GB's brilliance.
funny vid
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I actually thought that if anything, the Vikings were the beneficiary of more calls last night than Arizona. Thoughts?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

808vikingsfan wrote:Someone posted this on another forum.

Samkon Gado :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anybody remember that dude on this board years ago that used to be have a username based off Samkon Gado? That dude was a troll, but he was a riot.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DK Sweets wrote:I actually thought that if anything, the Vikings were the beneficiary of more calls last night than Arizona. Thoughts?
It was even to me. The facemask that wasnt cled made me mad, and the fact that they called a td on the run where the AZ's rb knee hit at the two was almost puke worthy, but they did ok.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleMustReign wrote: It was even to me. The facemask that wasnt cled made me mad, and the fact that they called a td on the run where the AZ's rb knee hit at the two was almost puke worthy, but they did ok.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That TD was overturned, though.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DK Sweets wrote:That TD was overturned, though.
I kow, but it was very obvious... I'm, just glad they have instant replay now.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018