2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 draft: interior offensive linemen to watch

Post by dead_poet »

Austin Blythe - C - Hawkeyes

CBS Sports' Rob Rang was impressed with Iowa redshirt senior C Austin Blythe's work against Nebraska DTs Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine on Saturday.

Collins and Valentine are future NFL draft picks. "At times, Collins' burst gave Blythe problems. On most occasions, however, the 6-foot-2, 290 pound Blythe used his natural leverage advantage and strength to lock onto Nebraska's defenders," Rang wrote. "Blythe plays with good knee bend to hold up to bull rushes, slides well laterally and carries dynamite in his stands to pop defenders." CBS ranks Blythe as the No. 7 center prospect in the draft. Blythe doesn't have ideal measureables, but he's been one of the nation's best interior offensive lineman this year.
Source: CBS Sports
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -attention
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm not against Phil, I'm skeptical he can return from that injury is all.
Same for Sully...but his issue is more accumlative injuries IMO.
As far as scheme vs personnel: I've seen that Davidson's better groups were zone blocking units, historically.
Great work on this thread DP...thanks for all the info~
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:I'm not against Phil, I'm skeptical he can return from that injury is all.
Same for Sully...but his issue is more accumlative injuries IMO.
As far as scheme vs personnel: I've seen that Davidson's better groups were zone blocking units, historically.
Great work on this thread DP...thanks for all the info~
The injury is more concerning than his previous pectoral. My optimism is that it occurred early (August 16?) so he will benefit from a long recovery window coupled by the position he plays on the offensive line may mean that it might not be as detrimental for him as it might be for, say, a skill position player like a running back, receiver, linebacker or defensive back. The issue is that it's an injury that can take that long to recover from (6-12 months from what I've read though NFL players seemingly typically take the back-end of that recovery timeline, so 10-12 months with 11 seemingly being the average). From what I've seen return to football activities can take place in as early as six months, but it's re-building the strength that takes the most time.

This is an excellent interview with a doctor talking about the Achilles injury: http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/7/13/ ... cks-doctor

The doctor also says that, unlike recent ACL surgery advances, Achilles surgery hasn't advanced much.

There's also this tidbit from another article:
Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury.
http://lermagazine.com/article/return-t ... on-rupture

Here's the best news if you're looking to be relieved in an apples-to-apples type of way: Eagles' left tackle Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles TWICE in 2012 (the first time in March during an offseason workout and the second time in May at his house after it had been repaired once already). He made the Pro Bowl in 2013 and 2014 (Second-team All-Pro in 2013, to be exact). He was graded out by PFF as a top-4 LT in 2013 as well, the same as the year prior to his injury. The Eagles rewarded him prior to the 2014 season with a four-year, $41.3 million contract extension. Peters was two years older than Phil when he ruptured it, too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pat Elflein - G - Buckeyes

Ohio State redshirt junior G Pat Elflein told reporters he plans to return for the 2016 season, but is still weighing his options.

Eligible prospects have until mid-January to declare for the draft, and it appears Elflein will take his time. The highly coveted guard has played well for Ohio State for multiple seasons. Expect a number of Ohio State players to declare for the NFL after their bowl game.
Source: Eric Seger on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Post by dead_poet »

An AFC North scout says Kansas State senior OT Cody Whitehair is "probably better at guard in our league, but he might be able to play all five positions if needed."

"He knows how to neutralize speed off the edge or quickness inside…very, very well-coached and it shows on film," the scout said. The 6-foot-4, 309-pound Whitehair moved to LT and earned Second Team All-Big 12 honors last year. "Whitehair has adequate size for the position and uses his wide base to handle speed off the edge, staying balanced and sinking his hips at the point of attack," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler. "He squares well and rides defenders away from the ballcarrier, using his punch and hand placement to lock on and engage." CBS sees him as the No. 2 senior G prospect and a potential top-50 draft pick. "His toughness is off the charts, but he could add a pinch of nastiness to his playing recipe, eliminating catch blocks," Brugler wrote. "Whitehair also tends to get grabby at times, which will attract yellow laundry at the next level, appearing much more comfortable inside rather than at tackle."
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports his NFL scout sources rate Kansas State senior OT Cody Whitehair as one of the top three senior tackle prospects and "many believe he’s a top 45 prospect."

"Presently I rank Whitehair as the top guard prospect moving towards the 2016 draft but feel he’s more a bottom of round two prospect," Pauline wrote. Whitehair has a great opporunity to boost his stock on Saturday when he lines up against possible first-round Oklahoma State DE Emmanuel Ogbah. "Whitehair has the opportunity to prove he can handle an athletic speed rusher off the edge," Pauline wrote. Last month, an AFC North scout said Whitehair is "probably better at guard in our league, but he might be able to play all five positions if needed."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ronnie Stanley - T - Fighting Irish

Notre Dame redshirt junior T Ronnie Stanley will enter the draft, reports Bleacher Report's Matt Miller.

Stanley told Miller he's NFL-bound. The gifted lineman considered a jump last season but elected to return to campus. This time around, he's going to cash in on his top-10 projection. Rotoworld's Josh Norris is a long-time fan, ranking Stanley as the best offensive lineman in the class. Stanley's unique blend of athleticism and length could in short order make him one of the NFL's best left tackles.
Source: Matt Miller on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Joshua Garnett - G - Cardinal

Stanford senior G Joshua Garnett won the Outland Trophy (top lineman).

Garnett opened up gaping holes for Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey all season. The 6-foot-5, 321-pounder is "swiftly rising up draft boards," TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline. Garnett will attend the Senior Bowl.
Source: NFL.com
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ryan Kelly - C - Crimson Tide
Alabama redshirt senior C Ryan Kelly won the Rimington Trophy (top center).

Kelly elbowed out Michigan State's Jack Allen and Iowa's Austin Blythe for the hardware. The 6-foot-5, 296-pound redshirt senior didn't give up a sack all year and had an 88.4 percent grade this season. "Ryan deserved it," Derrick Henry said. "He's a great leader and the heart and soul of the offense. I'm excited to see him get an award."
Source: AL.com
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Denver Kirkland - T - Razorbacks

ESPN's Mel Kiper says Arkansas junior Denver Kirkland is "right on the edge" of being a first-round pick.

Kirkland grades out as Kiper's No. 1 draft-eligible guard, ahead of Cody Whitehair (Kansas State) and Pat Elflein (Ohio State). The massive 6-foot-5, 343-pound Kirkland has experience at both guard and tackle. His best NFL fit is as a brawler on the inside.
Source: ESPN Insider
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Laremy Tunsil - T - Rebels

An NFL scout questioned Ole Miss junior T Laremy Tunsil's physicality.

"Tunsil is a good athlete with strong hands," said the scout. "Little bit of a finesse guy. They (Ole Miss) are almost like the Oregon teams now. They're really not physical players." That may be so, but teams looking for a pass blocking savant at left tackle are salivating over Tunsil. He's seen by many as the No. 1 OL in the class.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ronnie Stanley - T - Fighting Irish

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Notre Dame redshirt junior T Ronnie Stanley "isn't regarded as a great worker off the field and doesn't always play hard."

"He needs to get stronger," a different scout said. "But he's really good technically as a pass blocker." Rotoworld's Josh Norris continues to rank Stanley as the best offensive lineman in the class. Stanley announced recently that he'll declare for the NFL Draft.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Alex Redmond - G - Bruins

UCLA junior G Alex Redmond declared for the NFL Draft and won't play in the Foster Farms Bowl.

Little did we know how right TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline was last month when he reported Redmond had "one foot out the door and will enter the draft." Redmond won't be nominated for teammate of the year after ditching the Bruins prior to their tilt with Nebraska, but he will pique the NFL's interest anyway. The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder is ranked by CBS as the No. 9 junior OG prospect. A former four-star recruit, Redmond is "a physical freak with upside" but "needs to pull it together," per Pauline.
Source: Sports Illustrated
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Is it just me, or are there a lot of quality OL guys in this draft?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:Is it just me, or are there a lot of quality OL guys in this draft?
Seems like a decent year for them. Now is the matter of picking the right one(s).
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: Seems like a decent year for them. Now is the matter of picking the right one(s).
Indeed. Well, it certainly works in Spielman's favor then. Sure would be nice to have a center and stud guard close to TB's age.