The First Name Basis Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: The First Name Basis Thread

Post by akvikingsfan »

I keep meaning to post in this thread and then I forgot. I'm Jim (but since we already have a Jim on this board who's been around much longer than I have) I'll settle for James. And here's a little of my back story:

Born and raised in Anchorage Alaska. My family owns a dairy farm just outside of Little Falls MN. Ever summer as a kid I would be sent down to work the farm. That's part of how I ended up being a Vikings fan. Went to college in Fort Valley Georgia. Earned B.S. degrees in Mathematics and Computer Engineering. Returned to Alaska and got Master's degrees in Teaching and Special Education. Taught in Alaska for 3 years. Joined the Navy (last fall) got injured during flight school (ejection seat messed up my back). Got discharged. Married my wife last December (she's active air force). Moved to Nevada when we got married. Two months later we PCSed to San Antonio Texas for her to do ER nurse training. Found out we were being moved to Travis AFB in California. Got a teaching job out here and I've been living in the Bay Area since August.

Just wanted to share a little of my life background so if/when I mention things from my life people know where it comes from.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

akvikingsfan wrote:I keep meaning to post in this thread and then I forgot. I'm Jim (but since we already have a Jim on this board who's been around much longer than I have) I'll settle for James. And here's a little of my back story:

Born and raised in Anchorage Alaska. My family owns a dairy farm just outside of Little Falls MN. Ever summer as a kid I would be sent down to work the farm. That's part of how I ended up being a Vikings fan. Went to college in Fort Valley Georgia. Earned B.S. degrees in Mathematics and Computer Engineering. Returned to Alaska and got Master's degrees in Teaching and Special Education. Taught in Alaska for 3 years. Joined the Navy (last fall) got injured during flight school (ejection seat messed up my back). Got discharged. Married my wife last December (she's active air force). Moved to Nevada when we got married. Two months later we PCSed to San Antonio Texas for her to do ER nurse training. Found out we were being moved to Travis AFB in California. Got a teaching job out here and I've been living in the Bay Area since August.

Just wanted to share a little of my life background so if/when I mention things from my life people know where it comes from.

Thanks for the background and your name. Ironically enough, I'm a Vikings fan because my Dad was born and raised in Little Falls, Minnesota! I was born and grew up in Illinois but since Dad was from MN and cheered for the Vikes, I did too and it stuck. :)
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks for the background and your name. Ironically enough, I'm a Vikings fan because my Dad was born and raised in Little Falls, Minnesota! I was born and grew up in Illinois but since Dad was from MN and cheered for the Vikes, I did too and it stuck. :)
Weird. I didn't know anyone even lived in Little Falls. Just a small little dot on a map! And I was wrong, Jim hasn't been on here "much longer" than me. Just 2 years longer (wow didn't realize I have been posting and reading here for 10 years). But has about 100x more posts.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

akvikingsfan wrote:[Weird. I didn't know anyone even lived in Little Falls. Just a small little dot on a map!
He grew up on a farm. :)
And I was wrong, Jim hasn't been on here "much longer" than me. Just 2 years longer (wow didn't realize I have been posting and reading here for 10 years). But has about 100x more posts.
You've got some catching up to do!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, my name isn't Joe.

Some know the story ... I'll repeat it. My dad took me to my first-ever football game on September 28, 1969, at the old Met Stadium. The Vikings beat the Baltimore Colts 52-14, and Joe Kapp threw 7 TD passes. I was 9 years old and knew nothing about football, but I was instantly hooked on the Vikings (also became the biggest Joe Kapp fan on the planet -- hence my screen name and avatar). It was the best day of my life.

On January 10, 1977, the the Vikings fell to the Raiders for their 4th Super Bowl loss. I thought it was the worst day of my life ... until I woke up the next morning and found my dad dead of a heart attack. That was the worst day of my life.

As a result, I have an almost pathological need for the Vikings to finally win a championship, like that will somehow even the score.

Riddle: My actual first name is a 3-letter palindrome that begins with "b."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I've heard that story before and it always sucks. Hopefully we win one for you soon, Brb.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DK Sweets wrote:I've heard that story before and it always sucks. Hopefully we win one for you soon, Brb.
:point: Brb
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:OK, my name isn't Joe.

Some know the story ... I'll repeat it. My dad took me to my first-ever football game on September 28, 1969, at the old Met Stadium. The Vikings beat the Baltimore Colts 52-14, and Joe Kapp threw 7 TD passes. I was 9 years old and knew nothing about football, but I was instantly hooked on the Vikings (also became the biggest Joe Kapp fan on the planet -- hence my screen name and avatar). It was the best day of my life.

On January 10, 1977, the the Vikings fell to the Raiders for their 4th Super Bowl loss. I thought it was the worst day of my life ... until I woke up the next morning and found my dad dead of a heart attack. That was the worst day of my life.

As a result, I have an almost pathological need for the Vikings to finally win a championship, like that will somehow even the score.

Riddle: My actual first name is a 3-letter palindrome that begins with "b."
I'm going to ignore this post with your name. For the longest time I have had myself convinced that you were actually Kapp and we had a prior player on this forum. So with that said, I'm going to pretend I never saw this and go on hoping that you are in fact the real Joe.

On a serious note though: that story is sad. I hope we win one soon for you, the other older fans on here, and your dad. Skol
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Bub, I remember your story from before, and it is very sad indeed. Hopefully the Vikings can win a Super Bowl soon for you and your father.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

akvikingsfan wrote:I'm going to ignore this post with your name. For the longest time I have had myself convinced that you were actually Kapp and we had a prior player on this forum. So with that said, I'm going to pretend I never saw this and go on hoping that you are in fact the real Joe.
Dude, ick-snay on the app-kay. You're blowing my cover.

Signed,

Joe Kapp
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

So do you go by Bub or Bubba?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

On a serious note though: that story is sad. I hope we win one soon for you, the other older fans on here, and your dad. Skol[/quote]

So just how old does one have to be to be considered "the older fans on here"?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

autobon7 wrote:On a serious note though: that story is sad. I hope we win one soon for you, the other older fans on here, and your dad. Skol
So just how old does one have to be to be considered "the older fans on here"?[/quote]

Good question. I usually see that phrase used for those of us who watched the team in the '70s but I don't know the average age of a VMB member. I would think you'd at least have to remember watching the Vikes in the '80s.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Good question. I usually see that phrase used for those of us who watched the team in the '70s but I don't know the average age of a VMB member. I would think you'd at least have to remember watching the Vikes in the '80s.
I'm 26 years old. When I made that post I was referencing the fans who were fans when they lost the 4 superbowls. So yes, those of you at watched the team in the 70's are the ones I refer to as "older fans".
Last edited by akvikingsfan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Haha .....count me in then. Started watching in the mid to late 70s and remember watching Tark, Page, Marshall, Eller, Foreman, White, etc. Plus I turn 50 next month so I'm in.