Peyton is finished

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Peyton is finished

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The man was 5-for-20 for 35 yards and 4 picks. QBR of 0.0, only the 5th quarterback in NFL history to achieve a Blutarski rating with 20 or more attempts.

He did all this at home against the Chiefs and got booed by his own fans.

For the season, he has 9 TDs and 17 interceptions. Is there another quarterback in the league who would stI'll be starting with those numbers?

Plantar fasciitis? OK.

Like Unitas and Namath before him, Peyton Manning's skills are eroding at an exponential rate. Brock Osweiler is the likely starter next week "due to Manning's foot." Right. Denver will win this sorry division, but I hope Manning hangs them up and saves himself the embarrassment of getting destroyed in the playoffs. He's finished.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Peyton is finished

Post by DK Sweets »

He looked exposed against Seattle in the Super Bowl. It was a tough loss, but a fantastic season and he should have known it was over.

Then he came back last year. He never looked the same and looked absolutely gassed down the stretch. He needed to retire.

Now he's back again and you would be hard pressed to find a worse starting QB right now.

He came back for the records. He got them, now give the team an opportunity to win with somebody else.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Peyton is finished

Post by dead_poet »

I don't blame him for coming back and giving it one more go. His 2014 was, statistically, better than all but 2013 and 2004. The problem is he's old and injured. Peyton can play being the former but not when you add the latter. We all saw with Favre how that played out and Manning is on the same track. If I was him, there'd be no way I'd want to go out like this. If I'm Kubiak I sit Peyton for as long as possible. There's a good chance they make the playoffs without him, though their schedule to the postseason isn't exactly cake. Squeeze a couple of wins vs. the Bears, Chargers (twice) and Raiders and they should be sitting OK for a run. Then you start Manning in the playoffs (provided Brock isn't lighting things up and Peyton is close to 100%).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:I don't blame him for coming back and giving it one more go. His 2014 was, statistically, better than all but 2013 and 2004. The problem is he's old and injured. Peyton can play being the former but not when you add the latter. We all saw with Favre how that played out and Manning is on the same track. If I was him, there'd be no way I'd want to go out like this. If I'm Kubiak I sit Peyton for as long as possible. There's a good chance they make the playoffs without him, though their schedule to the postseason isn't exactly cake. Squeeze a couple of wins vs. the Bears, Chargers (twice) and Raiders and they should be sitting OK for a run. Then you start Manning in the playoffs (provided Brock isn't lighting things up and Peyton is close to 100%).
I wonder how much of his trouble is nerve damage related. Rest might not help much if he still can't feel the ball with his fingertips.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: I wonder how much of his trouble is nerve damage related. Rest might not help much if he still can't feel the ball with his fingertips.
Unknown but there's been nothing reported about that injury this year. Seems to be more related to this new injury (injuries?) rather than the neck. Although that can't help anything.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, Cris Carter said the issue was with his leg. His arm is compromised, but the issue last year and now is that he can't get enough energy into the throw from his lower body.

Take that for how you will.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, Cris Carter said the issue was with his leg. His arm is compromised, but the issue last year and now is that he can't get enough energy into the throw from his lower body.

Take that for how you will.
I heard Chris Mortensen say today that Manning's ribs were giving him problem. It sounds like he's really hurtin'.

They need to rest him as long as they can. maybe he can make one last run if he can get healthy. I hope he hangs it up after this season though. He's had such a great career... it's hard to watch him struggle so much.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I honestly thought the Super Bowl season was his last final parade...

I would be shocked if he ever plays close to what he used to be...

Peyton annoys me but i think is one of the best to ever play the game, without a doubt...

He should retire ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Manning would still make a good backup QB, I think, if used properly. He could probably come in for a game or two if need be and keep a team on course, but his body can't handle a full NFL season anymore.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Manning would still make a good backup QB, I think, if used properly. He could probably come in for a game or two if need be and keep a team on course, but his body can't handle a full NFL season anymore.
I can't see him backing up though.. I think he would rather announce games than do that...
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

jackal wrote: I can't see him backing up though.. I think he would rather announce games than do that...
It really just depends how much he wants to keep playing. I could see him in that role, he'd make a good mentor to a young QB starting too. Plus he'd have the chance to add on more stats if he's interested in that.

I wonder if he'll go into coaching after he retires.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I could see coaching maybe .. Peyton I think would have a hard time being a back up .. used to being the guy...

I know he has really made use of his money.. I could see him being an owner some day maybe
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:I could see coaching maybe .. Peyton I think would have a hard time being a back up .. used to being the guy...

I know he has really made use of his money.. I could see him being an owner some day maybe
I hadn't thought of that but it's an intriguing idea. I wonder if it's something he might want to do.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Worth clicking on for the Photoshop.

Aging Peyton Manning Now Forced To Take Field With Assistance Dog
DENVER—Noting that he is no longer capable of safely maneuvering across the field on his own, the Denver Broncos announced Tuesday that quarterback Peyton Manning will now be accompanied in all games by a specially trained assistance dog. “Given Peyton’s age and physical limitations, he needs Scout to help him navigate the pocket and find his way to and from the huddle,” said head coach Gary Kubiak, adding that the 2-year-old Labrador retriever—who the veteran quarterback will have on a leash at all times when stepping into the backfield—can recognize all of Manning’s voice commands and hand signals at the line of scrimmage and will then carefully guide him through a play accordingly. “Scout will make sure Peyton can move around slowly and securely without falling down or running into one of his offensive linemen, and he’s trained to bark if there’s a defender blitzing Peyton’s blind side. Not only is he a guide and helper, but he’s also a companion, and they’ve already become great friends.” Kubiak added that he has already had to tell younger Broncos players that they are prohibited from petting Scout during games in order to avoid distracting the canine and risking Manning being seriously injured.
http://www.theonion.com/article/aging-p ... ista-51858
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Awww they cant pet it during the game... Sad :cry: