NFL Color Rush

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

NFL Color Rush

Post by Mothman »

If anybody tuned into the Jets/Bills game last night (hereafter known as Pyjama Bowl 1), you saw the hideous spectacle of both teams wearing nearly monochromatic uniforms. The Jets were decked out in green jerseys, green pants, green socks, shoes, etc. and the Bills in red jerseys, red pants, red socks...

It looked like Christmas barfed on a football field. :) Take a look:

It also proved problematic for the colorblind, since red/green colorblindness is the most common form of colorblindness.

This madness will continue for another 3 weeks. Next week we get the Titans in powder blue vs.the Jaguars in gold.
The "Color Rush" campaign will cover four Thursday night games between now and the end of the season. Instead of one team wearing a dark jersey and the other white, as the league traditionally requires, both teams will wear primary colors of their alternate third uniform.
I was taking solace in the fact that the Vikings/Cardinals game doesn't fall into this "Color Rush" window of Thursday night games until I read this:
The NFL said all 32 teams will have a “color rush” uniform by next season that will be worn specifically for Thursday games airing on CBS and the NFL Network, so prepare yourself for an explosion of rainbow colors in 2016.
I'm just praying the designers at Nike (who should be ashamed of themselves) don't decide to emphasize the Vikings secondary color and put them in all yellow uniforms whenever their turn comes up. If I'm reading the hints in this trailer right, that's going to be the Rams fate: http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/nfl/colo ... CupqhOovVw
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: NFL Color Rush

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

:rofl:

My sentiments exactly!
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I kind of liked them. I also liked the Jets mettalic green facemasks. Red v Green may not have been the best time to debut these uniforms.

It will only be one game a week.
Formerly AADPFan
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The Elf Bowl!

These are some seriously pissed off elves. Former Jets coach and current coach of the North Pole Bills, Santa Claus, took a break from him job in the women's shoe department to prepare his band of elves for battle. Bilbo Bowles, meanwhile, took control of the keebler elves, based out of New York, seeking to organize a mutinous rebellion to overthrow the North Pole. It wasn't pretty.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I kind of like them too. Is it really any different from when some fans call or for the purple on purple jersey/pants combination?

Which, by the way, is probably what ours will end up being, so I'm not too worried about it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK Sweets wrote:I kind of like them too. Is it really any different from when some fans call or for the purple on purple jersey/pants combination?
Yes, it's a little different because even the shoes conform to the monochromatic color scheme.
Which, by the way, is probably what ours will end up being, so I'm not too worried about it.
I don't like the purple-on-purple look but don't count on that being the Vikes "color rush" color. They could easily end up wearing yellow since some teams are getting color rush uniforms featuring their secondary colors.

It's not just the Vikes that concern me anyway. This approach literally makes some games (like yesterday's) hard to watch for the colorblind. It's going to lead to some very aesthetically unpleasing matchups too. Wait until we get that Bucs/Rams game in a few weeks and the field is covered with grown men in red/orange and yellow pyjamas! Yuck.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The colorblind angle is legit. That was an unfortunate oversight.

The ugly angle, to me, isn't as bad. I think the regular jerseys look better, but I think the color rush sets a unique atmosphere similar to the NBA's Christmas jerseys. I'd probably never buy one, but I enjoy the uniqueness.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yuck. Looks like a bunch of arena football teams. Just another gimmick to push more sales. Pink, camo, monochrome... When does it end?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Yuck. Looks like a bunch of arena football teams. Just another gimmick to push more sales. Pink, camo, monochrome... When does it end?
Oh, you idealistic man... it won't end! There's money to be made.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

I liked the Jets unis, as unnecessary and silly though they may have been.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This is just corporate greed .. the old uniforms I can, kinda understand...

I would never buy something like one of these cheap knock off looking rags
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

It really is a bit much...

The hideous, blinding Bucs-Rams 'Color Rush' gear looks more like these 17 things than NFL uniforms
Just a tip: When you base your marketing strategy around something the sounds like a new flavor of Mountain Dew, you’ve done something wrong.
:lol:

I saw this on Twitter:
ProFootballTalk
‏@ProFootballTalk
Quote of the day from Jeff Fisher on the Rams' "Color Rush" uniform: "I'm glad it's not baseball, where I have to wear the uniform as well."
There's been more than one comparison to Ketchup and Mustard bottles...

The NFL needs to do away with this next year.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

This year, they were optional..

Next year, they are mandatory. :shock:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

:ripple:
The pop culture will eat itself~