My nephew's father was shot and killed tonight.

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

My nephew's father was shot and killed tonight.

Post by DK Sweets »

As a parent, I can't even imagine what my sister is going through right now. As a son, I can't imagine what my nephew is about to go through. I lost my father when I was younger, but losing a father to a heart attack when you're 16 is so, so different than losing a parent to murder when you're 6.

No parent should have to have this discussion. No child should have to try to understand this.

The father wasn't a good man. He wasn't involved in my nephew life. But now he'll never have that chance again.

The weight of the situation lays heavy on me tonight. Words seem empty and emotions seem...weird. I wish I had a better explanation than that.

One of my favorite things to say to people is "look on the bright side". I don't tell them what I think the bright side is, because finding the positives in life is so integral to the human experience that I don't want to stunt anybody's growth with an answer that they could find themselves. Often people will find a positive in life that exceeds my expectations.

Right now I'm struggling to find the bright side.

Tomorrow I will wake up with a stronger mentality. I will focus on everything that is right in the world and I will be the best uncle and brother I can be. I will try to bring any joy into their lives that I can.

Tonight, I will smoke these cigarettes and cry for my family.
Last edited by DK Sweets on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: My nephew's father was shot and killed tonight.

Post by DK Sweets »

Sorry for the heavy subject matter. I didn't want to take that to social media and this place is kinda like my dysfunctional internet family.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I'm sorry to hear this news... When i was married, my ex-wife's nephew was killed when hunting with his father because he was mistaken for a deer by a drunk hunter (he was covered in bright orange). This stuff really makes you think about life.
We are a family here, so don't feel bad about posting anything on here. We'll help you get through it.
Take care of yourself...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I can't imagine the pain you and your family are going through. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

My condolences. It's a shame this kind of thing happens and I'm sorry it happened to your family. It is a very early age to have to learn what death really means but it sounds like he'll at least have a lot of family around to help soften the blow as much as possible. I hope you get your bright side back sometime soon.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I know it may ring hollow but we'll be thinking of your family. I can't imagine. And then I read more about the Oklahoma State incident and the four that were killed there, including a two-year-old and I just get filled with sorrow. Sometimes life doesn't make any sense.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DK, I'm sorry to hear about this and you're right, no child should have to try to understand it. You said you like to look for the bright side in things and while I understand that it's difficult to see in the wake of such intense news, at least your nephew doesn't have to deal with the death of a father who was involved in his life. He obviously does have an uncle who love and cares about him in his life and, I assume, a mother who loves him too. That's a big bright side. He has support. Just be there for your nephew and sister and if you need support too, we're here to help.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Sorry for the heavy subject matter. I didn't want to take that to social media and this place is kinda like my dysfunctional internet family.

I think a lot of people feel that way. I am sorry for your loss, I will send you a PM.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thank you to everybody for the kind words.

I got 5 hours of sleep and went to work for a while today. I feel a lot more prepared to face my nephew and be the type of support that he and my sister will need. I'll see him tonight, but he seems to be taking it really well. Currently, he's pretty excited that Paw-Paw is taking him out for ribs.

I'm ready to be positive, and not because I feel like I need to, but because I want to. Thank you to everybody who tried to cheer me up so that I could spread that positivity to my family.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DK Sweets wrote:Thank you to everybody for the kind words.

I got 5 hours of sleep and went to work for a while today. I feel a lot more prepared to face my nephew and be the type of support that he and my sister will need. I'll see him tonight, but he seems to be taking it really well. Currently, he's pretty excited that Paw-Paw is taking him out for ribs.

I'm ready to be positive, and not because I feel like I need to, but because I want to. Thank you to everybody who tried to cheer me up so that I could spread that positivity to my family.
Ribs makes everything better :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

That's what Vikings themed, distance challenged fiends do. Good luck and prays to your family.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That's rough man, my condolences. Glad to hear he'll still have a strong male presence in his life.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Awful, just awful.

If I could say anything that really carried any weight, I would. But I cant, so I offer only my sincerest apology to your family that this had to happen. I really do mean that, I am SO sorry. Ill will be wishing, thinking, and praying for your family.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Sincerest condolences DK for the loss of your father and for what happened to you and your sister's family.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

A bit late to the discussion, but I extend my sincerest condolences to you DK.

I know we all hide behind a shroud of mystique on this board, but, in reality, I feel as though we are all 'family' here on this board. An internet family, albeit, who support the same team, but the community on this board is strong.

I hope that you are able to help your nephew find solace and continue to demonstrate to him that his life still has meaning.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.