View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren? 
Commissioner

Post Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren?
I know there are a few of us here. Getting excited for the CFB season? I know the last few seasons have been hard to watch. Sounds like there might be some change at work.

Longtime coach Kirk Ferentz overhauls Hawkeyes

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/longtime-c ... ncaaf.html

What are your thoughts on Beathard and Rudock's departure? Can we finally get back to running the football with one or two guys that don't get injured and/or transferred/suspended? What can we expect from LeShun Daniels? I'm very underwhelmed by the guy.

And the defense last year was atrocious. I'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic this season but I'm falling short. One guy to watch in the next few years is James Daniels. And if I read correctly we have twin brothers, Landon and Levi Paulsen, who have committed. I know very little about them but from what I've read it sounds like they're pretty good. The line may again be a continued strength in the next few seasons and may produce a few NFL draftable players. But in the short-term, I'm not sure who is going to replace Scherff and Donnal. I didn't mind Austin Blythe at center last year. He seemed to hold up for the most part.

I think we're in for another mediocre to bad year. What do you think?

Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Re: Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren?
*Crickets chirping *

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Oh.

f*ck

*places hands in overalls, begins sadly kicking can down dusty gravel road*

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:38 am
Commissioner

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Lol.

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

3-0 baby! That was a heck of a final-second 57-yard kick for the win. Exciting game. I've been impressed by the defense for the most part so far and the offensive line has been solid so far. I hate that I have more optimism in them again.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:45 am
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
3-0 baby! That was a heck of a final-second 57-yard kick for the win. Exciting game. I've been impressed by the defense for the most part so far and the offensive line has been solid so far. I hate that I have more optimism in them again.

:lol: Spoken like a grizzled, veteran fan. Congrats on the win.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:41 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Iowa.

Boom!

Anytime Wisconsin loses, it's a good day. :P

Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner

Ott and King are legit NFL prospects

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Although Iowa is my "home team", my college team is actually Nebraska.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Packers Suck

dead_poet wrote:

You guys would have lost for sure last week if Corey Clemens wasnt injured. It is so refreshing to watch Aaron Rodgers just a day after being subjected to Joel Stave.
Cleanses the mind.

EDIT: Just editing to clarify I wasnt trying to be a boasting #### in that message, it kind of looked a little trollish upon further review. But seriously, your so lucky Corey Clemons was out.. :lol:

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:40 pm
Commissioner

May be a moot point with Easton, but perhaps not. Someone to keep an eye on as possible C/G prospect.

Austin Blythe - C - Hawkeyes

Iowa redshirt senior C Austin Blythe is Pro Football Focus' No. 1 graded offensive lineman for run blocking at +21.3.

Blythe has been ridiculous, a sledgehammer in the interior behind which the Hawkeyes send an ever-changing assortment of running backs. Iowa recently became the first team since 1996 to have two different running backs rush for 200 yards in a game (Akrum Wadley and Jordan Canzeri did so in back-to-back weeks over the past two games. Looking closer at Wadley and Canzeri's combined 462 yards in those two games, a mere 171 came after contact, which means 63 percent were gained before a defender so much as laid a finger on the ball carrier. The 7-0 Hawkeyes are a darkhorse playoff contender not because of skill position talent, but because of a superb offensive line and a stingy defense.
Source: Pro Football Focus

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
May be a moot point with Easton, but perhaps not. Someone to keep an eye on as possible C/G prospect.

Iowa redshirt senior C Austin Blythe is Pro Football Focus' No. 1 graded offensive lineman for run blocking at +21.3.

Blythe has been ridiculous, a sledgehammer in the interior behind which the Hawkeyes send an ever-changing assortment of running backs. Iowa recently became the first team since 1996 to have two different running backs rush for 200 yards in a game (Akrum Wadley and Jordan Canzeri did so in back-to-back weeks over the past two games. Looking closer at Wadley and Canzeri's combined 462 yards in those two games, a mere 171 came after contact, which means 63 percent were gained before a defender so much as laid a finger on the ball carrier. The 7-0 Hawkeyes are a darkhorse playoff contender not because of skill position talent, but because of a superb offensive line and a stingy defense.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up DP. I love hearing from folks about some of the top players in their programs, especially when we aren't talking about Ohio State or Alabama etc.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:21 pm
Commissioner

fiestavike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the heads up DP. I love hearing from folks about some of the top players in their programs, especially when we aren't talking about Ohio State or Alabama etc.

I'm quite surprised at Iowa's play this season to be perfectly honest, especially given the injuries they keep sustaining. Their offensive line has been downright dominant, no matter who is running the ball. And their defense is playing lights out. I'm still peeved at losing Drew Ott to an ACL, though. He was their best pass rusher. Desmond King has been no joke at corner, either. His ball skills are impressive and he's an asset in the return game. I'm pretty sure his six interceptions rank second in the FBS. Keep an eye on him throughout the season and into the combine.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:08 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

I'm quite surprised at Iowa's play this season to be perfectly honest, especially given the injuries they keep sustaining. Their offensive line has been downright dominant, no matter who is running the ball. And their defense is playing lights out. I'm still peeved at losing Drew Ott to an ACL, though. He was their best pass rusher. Desmond King has been no joke at corner, either. His ball skills are impressive and he's an asset in the return game. I'm pretty sure his six interceptions rank second in the FBS. Keep an eye on him throughout the season and into the combine.

Iowa seems to be one of the few schools turning out offensive linemen who are "ready" for the pro game. I remember hearing that they get the kind of coaching college linemen rarely get anymore, but that is similar to they type of coaching the NFL tries to instill. I certainly wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Blythe based on what I know of him.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:40 am
Hall of Famer

It pains me to not talk about Iowa here, but... I cannot due to certain reasons.

All I will say is don't sleep on this team, and go Hawks.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:36 pm
Defensive Tackle

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
It pains me to not talk about Iowa here, but... I cannot due to certain reasons.

It's the government, isn't it?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:51 pm
Commissioner

Desmond King with yet another interception. He's up to 8 now, which I think is the most in CFB and tied for season most in school history with a lesser-known guy just by the name of Nile Kinnick (1939 Heisman Trophy winner for which Iowa’s home stadium is named).

Quote:
That doesn’t come naturally. Sophomore safety Miles Taylor said it’s astonishing how much film King studies. He's looking at opposing offenses in his free time, on his off days. Anybody that says hard work doesn’t pay off is a liar,” Taylor said. “You see it with Desmond.”

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports ... /75240544/

King now has 11 interceptions in his last 17 games as a Hawkeye. Something to keep an eye on during the draft. Doesn't quite have the height Zimmer likes, though (5'11). But ball skills are kind of important. And I'm not sure there's a "top" corner taller than 6'0 or 6'1 coming out in the draft, either. But I might be wrong about that.

The Hawks are now 9-0. Yeah, I didn't see this coming. But boy is it fun. I can't imagine they'll go undefeated but hey...I didn't expect this either.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:41 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

anybody watching?

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:08 pm
Commissioner

Needless to say I never saw this season coming. WOW. It really goes to show you how far you can get having a dominant offensive line and rushing offense with an opportunistic defense. I'm so freaking pumped. I have a feeling we're going to get crushed by Michigan State in the Big 10 Conference Championship, though. Still, nothing can take away this historic season. Super pumped.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Needless to say I never saw this season coming. WOW. It really goes to show you how far you can get having a dominant offensive line and rushing offense with an opportunistic defense. I'm so freaking pumped. I have a feeling we're going to get crushed by Michigan State in the Big 10 Conference Championship, though. Still, nothing can take away this historic season. Super pumped.

Congratulations. You should be pumped and for what it's worth, I think that Big 10 Championship game is basically a "pick 'em" game. Iowa definitely has a shot to win. Good luck!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Teams continue to prove how to build winning programs, and yet the Gophers still sit there picking their ####. So frustrating.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Congratulations. You should be pumped and for what it's worth, I think that Big 10 Championship game is basically a "pick 'em" game. Iowa definitely has a shot to win. Good luck!

Thanks! Didn't your NIU have a good season, too?

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:02 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Mothman wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Thanks! Didn't your NIU have a good season, too?

They did! They won the MAC West and they will be playing in the MAC Championship game on Friday night.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am
Strong Safety

feeling sad I just realized the closest Division One school is Sacramento State .... :(

there like the Browns of division one teams ,,, sigh

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:02 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I grew up in Missouri, and I'm back here for college so I'm a Mizzou fan, but i went to high school in des moines so Ive gotten to know the Hawkeyes. I have several friends attending so I visit them every once in awhile, and damn is Iowa City amazing. Its been a great season so far, and lets hope they can finish off MSU and make it to the playoff! Also remember Ryan Boyle in a couple years, he might be the starting QB in 2-3 years. I went to high school with him, and no big deal but he spotted me on a bench press once lol.

Go Hawks!

Skol!

Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

So sorry, DP. :(

When you're ready to talk about it, would you have let them score?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Defensive Tackle

Sorry about the loss, Dead_poet. I can sympathize after watching NIU lose the MAC Championship on Friday (with a freshman QB making his first start).

Iowa played a heck of a game, as did Michigan State. It was fun to watch, especially that 85 yard TD pass. The Hawkeyes almost stopped the Spartans there at the end but I have to give Michigan State credit for putting together one heck of a drive to win it. As a neutral fan (I like both teams) it was great football, two tough teams giving it everything they had.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:33 pm
Defensive Tackle

Funkytown wrote:

It's a very difficult decision, that's for sure. Personally, I thought Iowa made a good choice. Aside from the long TD, their offense was having a tough time in the second half.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
Funkytown wrote:

It's a very difficult decision, that's for sure. Personally, I thought Iowa made a good choice. Aside from the long TD, their offense was having a tough time in the second half.

I just realized, poor DP had a REALLY rough weekend with his sports teams. Watch out tomorrow! He's gonna be cranky. :D

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next