NFL to go global?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

NFL to go global?

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero NFL passes resolution to extend ability to play international games through 2025 including games outside UK.
@JasonLaCanfora NFL says countries outside the UK are in contention to host regular season games in 2016. I've heard the most buzz on Germany and Mexico
Football in Mexico just sounds weird.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Re: NFL to go global?

Post by Jordysghost »

dead_poet wrote: Football in Mexico just sounds weird.
Sometimes I relocate nearly every team in Madden, and usually put teams in Dublin, London, Toronto, and Mexico City, as if that is in any way realistic or viable.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote: Football in Mexico just sounds weird.
They've been trying to take it to markets outside of the US for a while and it just doesn't seem to stick. They're going to have to actually put a team in another country and try to get some players in said country on the team if they want more people from those areas to start watching. I think it's hard for a lot of people to get into a sport that they feel disconnected from. A sport that isn't very popular there, doesn't have any teams there, and is played by primarily players from a different country.

The NFL wants the market without any real commitment, I don't see it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JasonLaCanfora Waller says no games set for London next year - but would be surprised if they moved back from the 3 games in UK. Possibly could be more
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JasonLaCanfora Mark Waller, NFL's exec in charge of international series, calls Mexico top option for games. "That's our biggest (international) fanbase."
@JasonLaCanfora Waller says if another country outside UK gets a game, it's likely to get several more in coming years to continue growing the game....
@JasonLaCanfora Furthermore he seems enthused by the ability to move the Pro Bowl potentially all over the world. Even mentioned Australia in passing
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

They have played games in Mexico and Japan ...might have been just preseason though

The NFL europe thing lasted a while but turned into a developmental league more than anything
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

NFC Este
Los Vaqueros de Dallas
Las Aguilas de Philadelphia
Los Gigantes de Nueva York
Las Pielas Rojas de Washington

NFC Norte
Los Osos de Chicago
Los Leones de Detroit
Los Vikingos de Minnesota
Los Empaquetadores de Bahia Verde

NFC Sur
Los Halcones de Atlanta
Las Panteras de Carolina
Los Santos de Nueva Orleans
Los Bucaneros de Bahia Tampa

NFC Oeste
Los Cardenales de Arizona
Los Carneros de San Luis
Los Halcones del Mar de Seattle
Las Cuarenta y Nueves de San Francisco

AFC Este
Los Guillermos de Buffalo
Los Delfins de Miami
Las Patriotas de Nueva England
Las Cazas de Nueva York

AFC Norte
Los Cuervos de Baltimore
Las Bengalas de Cincinnati
Los Marrones de Cleveland
Los Aceros de Pittsburgh

AFC Sur
Los Tejanos de Houston
Los Potros de Indianapolis
Los Jaguars de Jacksonville
Los Titans de Tennessee

AFC Oeste
Los Potros Salvaje de Denver
Los Atracadores de Oakland
Los Cargadores de San Diego
Los Jefes de Ciudad Kansas

VAMOS, VIKINGOS!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Will we soon see the London Jaguars?
LATimesfarmer NFL has extended its agreement at Wembley to play at least two games per season there for next five years. Jaguars will play every year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Will we soon see the London Jaguars?

Well, England is famous for it's Jaguars so at least the name would make sense. ;)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Well, England is famous for it's Jaguars so at least the name would make sense. ;)
"The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City, where they don't allow music ... "

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

The Utah Jazz. Just.. let that sink in.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Let's not forget the L.A. Lakers...

If the Jaguars move to England, they should become the London Hedgehogs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@JasonLaCanfora NFL now announces minimum of 3 games/yr to be played at Twickenham Stadium in London on top of 2 at Wembley and 2 at Tottenham. So, i'm no math major, but we're only 1 short of a full regular season docket for London. And these deals can be expanded.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:

Interesting... but a far cry from putting a team there, which still seems impractical (if not unworkable) to me. As long as they keep mixing up the games so no team has to go there more than once in a season, it's probably not a big deal, although it does deprive a team of a home game every there's a game played in England.
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

I am a International Series goer and season ticket holder (currently 3 game format) and I can understand why the Team fans hate it (loosing a home game etc). I and most other UK/European fans are just happy to have live football on our laps.