Around the League - Week 2

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Around the League - Week 2

Post by DK Sweets »

Well...that's not the ending I wanted but at least I get to go to sleep now.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

1-2 start for the Chefs coming up. :thumbsup:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:Well...that's not the ending I wanted but at least I get to go to sleep now.
Pft I was hoping for some overtime.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

That is two weeks in a row now where Marcus Peters has looked extremely well. I was pounding the table hard for the team to draft him *EDIT* redacted second sentence.

Anyway, that is a tough one for K.C. Since when does Alex Smith throw two picks AND Jamal Charles fumble twice in one game? Very uncharacteristic of the Chiefs to have a performance like that.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:That is two weeks in a row now where Marcus Peters has looked extremely well. I was pounding the table hard for the team to draft him *EDIT* redacted second sentence.

Anyway, that is a tough one for K.C. Since when does Alex Smith throw two picks AND Jamal Charles fumble twice in one game? Very uncharacteristic of the Chiefs to have a performance like that.
That's true. The Broncos defense is legit though. I think they have a good chance at being #1 overall by season's end (at the worst not much will separate them from Houston, Seattle & St. Louis). Wade Phillips was a huge get for them. But boy does it look like Elway's hiring of his buddy Kubiak was about a year too early when you still have Peyton Manning. Manning looked awful until he started going up-tempo from the gun late in the second quarter (what I presume is more of "his offense" than Kubiak's). It also looked like Manning did a lot less directing/checking out of plays (particularly in the first half), leading me to believe Kubiak took a lot of that responsibility away from Manning, which takes an ego that rivals Donald Trump, and a brain to boot. Seeing how those two get along this season will be a story to watch.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote: Because, Spielman.
Collins announced he would not play for anyone who drafted him after his PR issues dropped him out of the first day. It would have been a wasted pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: Collins announced he would not play for anyone who drafted him after his PR issues dropped him out of the first day. It would have been a wasted pick.
I still don't understand that tactic and, really, that was a stupid, empty threat. There are limitations on contracts. In terms of salary, I don't think he made any more by signing as an UDFA than as a seventh-round pick.

This explains it pretty well:
Every undrafted rookie is locked into signing a three year contract. The three year contract will contain the minimum Paragraph 5 salary in each year, which will equal payouts of $435,000 in 2015, $525,000 in 2016, and $615,000 in 2017. These are the same numbers as rookies drafted after the 3rd round and many of the players drafted in the third round, so it is not a major loss for Collins of any player who was not projected to be a 2nd round pick.

The UDFA’s are very limited in terms of signing bonus money. I don’t have the final number in front of me but IIRC each team can spend, in total, about $88,000 on all their undrafted rookies. That usually means a large number of players receiving signing bonuses that will not exceed $8,000. So that is a limiting factor for a player who is not drafted. The smallest signing bonus a 7th round pick will receive likely to be about $52,000. So that is a pretty big loss considering for many players the bonus is the only salary they will ever receive.
http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-col ... ree-agent/

It looks like the biggest incentive is being able to re-negotiate a contract a year early.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Collins announced he would not play for anyone who drafted him after his PR issues dropped him out of the first day. It would have been a wasted pick.
We cut our seventh round pick anyways ?? Even if he refuses to play here then trade his rights to some one he would play for...like Dallas for a fifth round pick
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm watching the RedZone channel, and I'm really surprised by the Eagles/Cowboys score.

Also, though break for Philly losing Kiko. Fair or not, I'm sure the fans are going to view this as them giving their two most dangerous offensive weapons away in the offseason.

Third thought: it's going to be weird when Oakland isn't playing on a baseball field anymore. Its a cool weird quirk about their stadium that I'm going to miss.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

And Darren McFadden just fell asleep and let Philly take that fumble. Nice work, guy.

EDIT: Or not.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:I'm watching the RedZone channel, and I'm really surprised by the Eagles/Cowboys score.

Also, though break for Philly losing Kiko. Fair or not, I'm sure the fans are going to view this as them giving their two most dangerous offensive weapons away in the offseason.

Third thought: it's going to be weird when Oakland isn't playing on a baseball field anymore. Its a cool weird quirk about their stadium that I'm going to miss.
Lol, you know, its funny, I was just talking about how much I dislike that Raiders still play on a damn baseball field.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Just saw the Browns/Titans highlights. Benjamin had one hell of a game.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Jordysghost wrote:
Lol, you know, its funny, I was just talking about how much I dislike that Raiders still play on a damn baseball field.
Dont get me wrong, it's ridiculous. It needs to change. It's just something I'll miss.

I'm not sure how to explain it haha
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The Eagles really look like they're missing Evan Mathis. Wow that line looks bad
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:Just saw the Browns/Titans highlights. Benjamin had one hell of a game.
Yea I saw you guys beat the Lions, I plan on catching the shortcut. How you guys look in week 2?