How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

A forum for Fantasy Football discussion. Talk about leagues, trades, players or start your own league!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Post your teams here for critique/review/advice (excluding VMB leagues of course)
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

12-team league. PPR. I drafted third.

QB: Matt Ryan
RB1: Adrian Peterson
RB2: Frank Gore
WR1: Randall Cobb
WR2: Vincent Jackson
TE: Travis Kelce
Flex: Joseph Randle
Defense: Broncos
Kicker: Bryant

Bench:

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: David Cobb, Duke Johnson
WR: John Brown, Brian Quick, Markus Wheaton
TE: Jordan Reed

---

Thoughts:

I'm happy with my starting RBs (given this is PPR I'm pretty thrilled with Peterson and Gore, actually) and filled my roster with some potential guys that could emerge. Good backup/bench stash at the very worst.

I'm weakest at receiver and regret the Vincent Jackson pick. While I'm not the greatest at the top (though Cobb should soak up targets with Nelson out), my depth is pretty good I think with some late-round value guys with potential. WR (and possibly QB) is where I might be at a weakly disadvantage.

I'm putting my chips in the pile with Kelce at tight end. He was pretty productive towards the end of last season and the hype train is going pretty steady. I felt pretty good taking him at #51 overall, though. I'm not thrilled with Matt Ryan as my quarterback, but he shouldn't kill me week-to-week. Same with Joseph Randle but the value was too good so I took him.

We'll see how things go. I probably give this draft a B+.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Location: Missouri

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by DK Sweets » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Interesting...I was more impressed with Vincent Jackson than Frank Gore. I think Jackson is poised for 1000yrds/8 TDs which is great for a #2 guy, while I'm afraid Gore is going to have serious issues at his age and wear on his body.

Either way, nice team.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:48 am

My V-Jax hate stems mostly from a poor-ish 2014 where he only caught 70 balls and a putrid 2 TDs. His QB situation was abysmal last year so you'd hope it'd improve with Winston but Winston is still a rookie and Evans is the man there with a talented TE as well. We'll see but I foresee Wheaton and/or Brown having a better statistical season. The question is...will I play them the right week(s)?

Regarding Gore, I might be drinking too much fantasy Twitter Kool-Aid but he's going to a team with one of the best QBs and won't see many 8-man stacked boxes (faced the most in the league in '14). He should also be an every-down back, which means more reception opportunities (even though Luck doesn't do many check downs). If I can get 220 carries from my RB2, I'm ok with that. Depending on Joseph Randle I can flip and start him at RB2 if need be.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

nfcnorthchamps25
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:57 am

I'm not sure what to think about Gore. Last year Bradshaw was a steal for me in my PPR league because he would get a lot of short passes where he would get lots of short passes, especially in the red zone. Even as a backup to Trent Richardson he was putting up really solid RB2 numbers. He provided great great coverage for all those weeks Foster was banged up.

If Gore has anywhere near the involvement that he had in the passing game he easily will be one of the better RB2 this year. On the other hand he's getting old and I could see Boom Herron being the guy by midseason.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 am

nfcnorthchamps25 wrote:I'm not sure what to think about Gore. Last year Bradshaw was a steal for me in my PPR league because he would get a lot of short passes where he would get lots of short passes, especially in the red zone. Even as a backup to Trent Richardson he was putting up really solid RB2 numbers. He provided great great coverage for all those weeks Foster was banged up.

If Gore has anywhere near the involvement that he had in the passing game he easily will be one of the better RB2 this year. On the other hand he's getting old and I could see Boom Herron being the guy by midseason.
And that's what I'm betting on: involvement. Pagano said they envision Gore as an every-down, workhorse back. They probably also didn't give him $7.5 million guaranteed to not be the guy. Last season I can't recall how often he was in on third downs but he still got 255 carries. He only had 11 catches and I expect that number to easily double. He was RB17 in 2014 and, barring injury I expect that to be his floor this season. Of course, I always "miss" with a few guys every year that I'm initially excited about. Last season it was Vereen. Could be Gore this season. You make a good point about Herron. If I was smart I'd probably handcuff Gore with Herron.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8553
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by Cliff » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:00 am

I like that team, especially in a PPR league.

How long did Bridgwater stay on the board? I was hoping I could get him mid-to-late rounds as a backup maybe.
0 x

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:06 am

Cliff wrote:I like that team, especially in a PPR league.
We'll see. I hope so.
How long did Bridgwater stay on the board? I was hoping I could get him mid-to-late rounds as a backup maybe.
12th pick of the 10th round. Again, this was 12-team league.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

nfcnorthchamps25
Backup
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:24 am

I usually try to get one of the top 6-7 QBs so that I don't need to draft a backup. I also don't draft defense or kicker until the last round because kickers don't make that much of a difference and defenses are so unpredictable from year to year.

Doing this allows me to load up on more boom or bust guys a little bit earlier. Basically load my bench up with rookies and guys who are potential breakout guys or will be studs if the guy in from of them gets injured. Last year I hit on a few players such as Kelvin Benjamin. The players who don't work out I just drop to pick up any breakout players on the waiver wire.

I highly suggest this strategy for drafting. I honestly don't think I've ever missed the playoffs in any of my leagues except for in cases where my team gets killed by injuries.
0 x

User avatar
thatoneguy
Backup
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by thatoneguy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 pm

10-team standard scoring. I picked 8th.
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Dez Bryant
TE - Greg Olsen
FLEX - Jordan Mathews
FLEX - Brandon Marshall
D/ST - Seattle
K - Dan Bailey

Bench

RB - CJ Spiller, Shane Vereen
WR - Steve Smith, Eddie Royal, Pierre Garçon.


I'm a bit weak at RB but hoping some WR produce as trade value.
0 x
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan

User avatar
thatoneguy
Backup
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by thatoneguy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:41 pm

Poet, I like your team. If those rookie backs pan out you're looking real good.
0 x
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:13 am

thatoneguy wrote:10-team standard scoring. I picked 8th.
QB - Tony Romo
RB - Frank Gore
RB - Lamar Miller
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Dez Bryant
TE - Greg Olsen
FLEX - Jordan Mathews
FLEX - Brandon Marshall
D/ST - Seattle
K - Dan Bailey

Bench

RB - CJ Spiller, Shane Vereen
WR - Steve Smith, Eddie Royal, Pierre Garçon.


I'm a bit weak at RB but hoping some WR produce as trade value.
Wow. Stacked team. You should do well, particularly if you can trade for an upgraded running back. What round did Foster go in? I would've tried snagging him. I'm on the fence about Lamar Miller this year. He's always been a fantasy tease, much like Vereen.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
thatoneguy
Backup
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by thatoneguy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 pm

dead_poet wrote: Wow. Stacked team. You should do well, particularly if you can trade for an upgraded running back. What round did Foster go in? I would've tried snagging him. I'm on the fence about Lamar Miller this year. He's always been a fantasy tease, much like Vereen.
Yeah I'm not terribly excited about my RB's but we'll see how it goes. I wasn't going to grab miller but he fell to the 6th so I just had to. I was going to go after Foster in the 10th but he got drafted in like the 7th.... Way too high for me.
0 x
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24616
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:06 am

Another league (not VMB) result below. 12-team, 1-keeper (I kept Lacy). 0.5 PPR. I won last year so I had 12th pick.

QB - Ryan Tannehill
RB - Eddie Lacy
RB - Frank Gore
WR - Randall Cobb
WR - T.Y. Hilton
TE - Tyler Eifert
FLEX - Latavius Murphy
D/ST - Denver
K - McManus

Bench

WR: Allen Robinson, John Brown, Steve Smith Sr.
RB: Knile Davis
TE: Veron Davis, Julius Thomas

Notes:

I feel pretty good at WR and RB. I'm not sure how to take Gore and Murphy this year. Both are question marks for me and I know Murphy has a hard-ish schedule. But the value was too good for both and there's upside there as volume runners and there's potential for all three of them to be three-down backs.

As in most of my leagues this year I'm hurting at TE. Most "experts" like Eifert this year but I'm hedging with Vernon Davis and Julius Thomas as contingencies (granted not GREAT contingencies). I may try and swing a trade as one guy has Graham AND Kelce but I'll likely be at a statistical disadvantage in every matchup at the position unless Eifert really impresses, which is possible.

I'm buying the preseason hype on Tannehill but also stole Teddy late as we all know the potential is there for a solid season.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this roster for a 12-team league.
0 x
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
thatoneguy
Backup
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: How'd I do/Rank my team 2015

Post by thatoneguy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:13 am

dead_poet wrote:Another league (not VMB) result below. 12-team, 1-keeper (I kept Lacy). 0.5 PPR. I won last year so I had 12th pick.

QB - Ryan Tannehill
RB - Eddie Lacy
RB - Frank Gore
WR - Randall Cobb
WR - T.Y. Hilton
TE - Tyler Eifert
FLEX - Latavius Murphy
D/ST - Denver
K - McManus

Bench

WR: Allen Robinson, John Brown, Steve Smith Sr.
RB: Knile Davis
TE: Veron Davis, Julius Thomas

Notes:

I feel pretty good at WR and RB. I'm not sure how to take Gore and Murphy this year. Both are question marks for me and I know Murphy has a hard-ish schedule. But the value was too good for both and there's upside there as volume runners and there's potential for all three of them to be three-down backs.

As in most of my leagues this year I'm hurting at TE. Most "experts" like Eifert this year but I'm hedging with Vernon Davis and Julius Thomas as contingencies (granted not GREAT contingencies). I may try and swing a trade as one guy has Graham AND Kelce but I'll likely be at a statistical disadvantage in every matchup at the position unless Eifert really impresses, which is possible.

I'm buying the preseason hype on Tannehill but also stole Teddy late as we all know the potential is there for a solid season.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with this roster for a 12-team league.
I like your team. RB is a little weak in my opinion. Also I would possibly consider going out and grabbing Roy Helu if he's available and dropping 1 of your TE's. I feel like Murray is going to be somewhat injury prone and Helu is a very good player. But I do really like your recievers and the TE's do have potential.
0 x
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan