Aldon smith

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Aldon smith

Post by dead_poet »

Aldon Smith - LB - Raiders

Raiders signed OLB Aldon Smith, formerly of the 49ers, to a one-year contract.

Wow. Smith was released by the 49ers last month after yet another DUI that also involved hit-and-run and vandalism charges. The case has yet to be resolved, which makes the signing such a shocker. But put nothing past Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie. Oakland will keep Smith in the Bay Area and give him a chance to rush the passer opposite Khalil Mack. If Smith can keep his head on straight -- a huge "if" -- he and Mack would be a fearsome pass-rush duo. Don't expect Smith to play Week 1, as he needs time to get back in football mode.
Source: Jason Cole on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Is it me or is this bananas?
@AdamSchefter Despite off-field issues, Raiders' Aldon Smith IS eligible to play Sunday, per source. OAK will consider playing him, based on conditioning.
@JasonLaCanfora On Aldon smith, NFL says it will follow developments (thus far no further police action); decline comment on their review. He can play Sun
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I hope it works out for the guy and Raiders get him some help...

I believe he still has other cases to resolve about the assault riffles as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Is it me or is this bananas?
I think its smart. The NFL got itself into this mess by trying to beat the judge and the jury to the punch. This creates a PR nightmare. Much worse than simply having an ironclad policy to wait until the situation is resolved. I'm not saying that are doing that as of this point, but they should be.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Aldon smith

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote: I think its smart. The NFL got itself into this mess by trying to beat the judge and the jury to the punch. This creates a PR nightmare. Much worse than simply having an ironclad policy to wait until the situation is resolved. I'm not saying that are doing that as of this point, but they should be.
I agree. Look, none of us are advocating criminality. I do think, however, that people are entitled to due process. If he needs to be punished (and frankly, I think most of us do think that) he will get it when the time comes. Until then, he's just like anybody else. This current climate where players lose an entire season while waiting to get charged with crimes that would normally result in much smaller suspensions (and then in Greg Hardy's case still get another suspension) is unfair.

I understand that he got himself into this mess, but giving multiple punishments isn't right.