Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fined

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fi

Post by Demi »

Why not cheat? If caught, just destroy any evidence, fire anyone responsible. Lose a pick, some cash, and look at your shiny ring. :steamed:
(Not referring only to this...)
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I actually agree, Demi.

We are so caught up with the idiocy that is Gooddell and enjoying watching someone he cant punish take him to task I think we are missing the point here. Does anyone really doubt that Brady had a hand in what took place? I know from what I saw it blatantly obvious; texts, nick names, emails, the awkward "I dont know how footballs work" cover up. He did do this but now he gets off punishment free and all the patriots really lost was a first round pick. Now, I wont say that the actual deflating of the footballs had any bearing on the outcome of any game (although anyone who lost to the Pats last year will say so) I dont know that. But what I will say is this show a team or player that if you THINK cheating will win you the ring, all you really lose is next years 1st rounder (if you get caught).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The investigation (and I mean the measurements taken before and during the game as well as the farcical Wells report) was so sloppy that I don't think it's even been clearly established that cheating took place. There's some circumstantial evidence (much of it open to interpretation) that points that way but it's inconclusive. If the Patriots did intentionally let a little air out of some footballs (gasp!), the transgression was of such a minor nature that it's deservedly overshadowed by the complete lack of integrity the NFL has shown in supposedly trying to protect it's integrity.

Deflategate was a mountain made out of a molehill from the start. Now it's an entire range of mountains made from that molehill and the NFL is still too stubborn to just let it go and walk away. They've wasted millions of dollars on this ridiculous controversy. Think of how much more good that money could have done if the league had applied it to say, helping NFL veterans struggling with post-career ailments or research on better safety measures for protecting players from concussions. Instead, the money has been squandered over a silly controversy that obviously didn't even impact the outcome of a game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:The investigation (and I mean the measurements taken before and during the game as well as the farcical Wells report) was so sloppy that I don't think it's even been clearly established that cheating took place. There's some circumstantial evidence (much of it open to interpretation) that points that way but it's inconclusive. If the Patriots did intentionally let a little air out of some footballs (gasp!), the transgression was of such a minor nature that it's deservedly overshadowed by the complete lack of integrity the NFL has shown in supposedly trying to protect it's integrity.

Deflategate was a mountain made out of a molehill from the start. Now it's an entire range of mountains made from that molehill and the NFL is still too stubborn to just let it go and walk away. They've wasted millions of dollars on this ridiculous controversy. Think of how much more good that money could have done if the league had applied it to say, helping NFL veterans struggling with post-career ailments or research on better safety measures for protecting players from concussions. Instead, the money has been squandered over a silly controversy that obviously didn't even impact the outcome of a game.
I think the owners are fnially seeing what an incompetent fool Roger Goodell is, to the point that they are considering taking some of his power away from him. They put him there to clean up the league, and he has done such a bad job of it, they are trying to get him to stop. This has got to be so embarrassing for the owners. The only good thing he has done is make the last week of the season all divisional games.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Its annoying that they were let off, not because of lack of evidence, but because the trial was 'unfair'.

So even if they did cheat, which the whole destroyed cell and firing of equipment manager indicates, Goodell's 'incompetence' let them off the hook.

Sigh.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think the owners are fnially seeing what an incompetent fool Roger Goodell is, to the point that they are considering taking some of his power away from him. They put him there to clean up the league, and he has done such a bad job of it, they are trying to get him to stop. This has got to be so embarrassing for the owners. The only good thing he has done is make the last week of the season all divisional games.
I completely disagree that the only good thing Goodell has ever done is make the last game of the season Divisional, but this isnt the thread for that.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Report: Patriots taped 40 opposing teams; NFL destroyed tapes

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... oyed-tapes
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@SeifertESPN Roger Goodell on @MikeandMike says he is “very open” to lessening his role in discipline but has some “resistance” to 3rd-party arbitrators.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ensuring properly inflated NFL footballs, in 23 simple steps
To mitigate future confusion -- no jokes, please, as this is a serious matter of international importance -- the NFL quietly overhauled its policies and protocol for the handling of footballs on game day. Here is how it will go, more or less, in the hours leading up to Thursday night's season opener between the Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers. (And yes, we'll have a little fun with this. Deal with it.)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... mple-steps
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I don't want Tom Brady hurt physically but I want to see a 250 pound linebacker hit him at full speed and send
him backwards with great force wrapping arms around him and knocking the wind out of him, fully. Tom lying
on the ground crying and afraid.. yeah I am good with that, a few snot bubbles forming, at that moment.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@McCannSportsLaw Tom Brady lawyer Jeff Kessler on @WEEI: "We got terrific testimony from Troy Vincent about how they didn't know what the Ideal Gas Law was."
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

"We got terrific testimony from Troy Vincent about how they didn't know what the Ideal Gas Law was."
The colt's footballs probably didn't know what it was either. :lol:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote: The colt's footballs probably didn't know what it was either. :lol:
...?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Steeler's fan quote
It’s unreal this franchise is still cheating inside that stadium. This league is so unbelievably tainted and turned into a soap opera. Turned off the game in the 2nd quarter then cancelled my Sunday Ticket. I’m done. Enjoy your cheating team and this ruined league. I’ve had it with everything about the NFL and they lost a life-long fan here. Signing off forever.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!