Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fined

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fi

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Good. Even though i dont like Brady (more like i am sick of him), Goodell #### this whole thing up from thd start. Goodell is making himself look awfully foolish lately. I wonder what, if anything, that will mean for his job security.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:lol
:rofl: That's hilarious!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From the SUMMARY OF BRADY’S AND NFLPA’S LEGAL ARGUMENTS By Daniel Wallach that Dead_Poet linked to above (emphasis mine):
INDICIA #2: Publicly Lauding the Wells Report. Prior to serving as
hearing officer, Goodell publicly lauded the Wells Report—the issue at the very
heart of the appeal. By doing so, he made it impossible to serve as arbitrator in any
proceeding challenging the conclusions of the Wells Report. And, unsurprisingly, his
eventual Award declared the Wells Report unassailable in every respect.

a. Goodell’s choice to make these comments locked him into
supporting the Wells Report and rendered him incapable of
reaching a contrary conclusion in Brady’s appeal, as doing so
would undermine his own competency as Commissioner.

b. The Award itself proves this point—it is just a recycling of the
conclusions of the Wells Report.

c. Applicable labor law and arbitral standards simply do not
permit an arbitrator to publicly comment on the very subject
matter he has been called upon to arbitrate and to then
continue to serve as arbitrator.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m2 minutes ago

In a statement, Roger Goodell says the NFL will appeal Berman's ruling.
I guess that's not much of a surprise. The ruling pretty much bashed the NFL and their whole process in the "investigation".
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Crax wrote: I guess that's not much of a surprise. The ruling pretty much bashed the NFL and their whole process in the "investigation".
Maybe they should just let it go rather than set themselves up for further embarrassment.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Maybe they should just let it go rather than set themselves up for further embarrassment.
Goodell already released a statement saying they're going to appeal. Have to try and save face, I guess.
@LATimesfarmer Goodell: "We will appeal today’s ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game."
@TomPelissero The NFL confirms it will not request a stay while its appeal is heard. So, Tom Brady plays Week 1, and for the foreseeable future.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Goodell already released a statement saying they're going to appeal. Have to try and save face, I guess.
That's probably the mindset but I suspect it will just lead to further embarrassment. I think they'd be wise to "cut bait" and move on.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: That's probably the mindset but I suspect it will just lead to further embarrassment. I think they'd be wise to "cut bait" and move on.
NEVER!!

Also, Jason Cole is reporting the NFLPA and league owners are agreeing that the NFL needs to overhaul the disciplinary process.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:NEVER!!
:lol:
Also, Jason Cole is reporting the NFLPA and league owners are agreeing that the NFL needs to overhaul the disciplinary process.
It's about time!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: That's probably the mindset but I suspect it will just lead to further embarrassment. I think they'd be wise to "cut bait" and move on.
And remember, Goodall still has to deal with a Judge in MN. That issue hasn't been settled yet.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Roger Goodell, NFL will have to change approach following deflate-gate loss

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-good ... 48197.html
If the NFL has learned anything from this, it's that the great failure here was to have hit Brady harder in spite of actions it had taken in similar cases in the past. While the decision stomps on the league and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell right now, it could actually make him stronger in the long-term. How? By unilaterally adding a new wrinkle to personal conduct. One that says "If we determine you have obstructed an investigation, we can suspend you", and "If we determine you are generally aware of rule-breaking, we can suspend you".
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm so glad with how this turned out! For a long time it seemed like nobody could see how corrupt this whole process was. It's nice to have a judge that was hand picked by the NFL point out the flaws.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

So Brady got off Scott Free?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:So Brady got off Scott Free?
Yep. Unless the NFL wins the appeal, which at this point is probably unlikely and will take several months (if not more) to hear.

I'm curious how this affects the two suspended equipment managers and if Kraft can still appeal the NFL punishment of $1 million and the draft pick.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The NFLPA's statement:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/bengals ... /71641916/
The rights of Tom Brady and of all NFL players under the collective bargaining agreement were affirmed today by a Federal Judge in a court of the NFL's choosing. We thank Judge Berman for his time, careful consideration of the issue and fair and just result.

This decision should prove, once and for all, that our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not grant this Commissioner the authority to be unfair, arbitrary and misleading. While the CBA grants the person who occupies the position of Commissioner the ability to judiciously and fairly exercise the designated power of that position, the union did not agree to attempts to unfairly, illegally exercise that power, contrary to what the NFL has repeatedly and wrongfully claimed.

We are happy for the victory of the rule of law for our players and our fans. This court's decision to overturn the NFL Commissioner again should signal to every NFL owner that collective bargaining is better than legal losses. Collective bargaining is a much better process that will lead to far better results.