Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren?

Post by dead_poet »

I know there are a few of us here. Getting excited for the CFB season? I know the last few seasons have been hard to watch. Sounds like there might be some change at work.

Longtime coach Kirk Ferentz overhauls Hawkeyes

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/longtime-c ... ncaaf.html

What are your thoughts on Beathard and Rudock's departure? Can we finally get back to running the football with one or two guys that don't get injured and/or transferred/suspended? What can we expect from LeShun Daniels? I'm very underwhelmed by the guy.

And the defense last year was atrocious. I'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic this season but I'm falling short. One guy to watch in the next few years is James Daniels. And if I read correctly we have twin brothers, Landon and Levi Paulsen, who have committed. I know very little about them but from what I've read it sounds like they're pretty good. The line may again be a continued strength in the next few seasons and may produce a few NFL draftable players. But in the short-term, I'm not sure who is going to replace Scherff and Donnal. I didn't mind Austin Blythe at center last year. He seemed to hold up for the most part.

I think we're in for another mediocre to bad year. What do you think?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Where my Iowa Hawkeyes brethren?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

*Crickets chirping *

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Oh.

f*ck

*places hands in overalls, begins sadly kicking can down dusty gravel road*
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

3-0 baby! That was a heck of a final-second 57-yard kick for the win. Exciting game. I've been impressed by the defense for the most part so far and the offensive line has been solid so far. I hate that I have more optimism in them again.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:3-0 baby! That was a heck of a final-second 57-yard kick for the win. Exciting game. I've been impressed by the defense for the most part so far and the offensive line has been solid so far. I hate that I have more optimism in them again.
:lol: Spoken like a grizzled, veteran fan. Congrats on the win.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Iowa.

Boom!

Anytime Wisconsin loses, it's a good day. :P
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ott and King are legit NFL prospects
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Although Iowa is my "home team", my college team is actually Nebraska.

Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

dead_poet wrote:3-0 baby! That was a heck of a final-second 57-yard kick for the win. Exciting game. I've been impressed by the defense for the most part so far and the offensive line has been solid so far. I hate that I have more optimism in them again.
You guys would have lost for sure last week if Corey Clemens wasnt injured. It is so refreshing to watch Aaron Rodgers just a day after being subjected to Joel Stave.
Cleanses the mind.

EDIT: Just editing to clarify I wasnt trying to be a boasting #### in that message, it kind of looked a little trollish upon further review. But seriously, your so lucky Corey Clemons was out.. :lol:
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

May be a moot point with Easton, but perhaps not. Someone to keep an eye on as possible C/G prospect.

Austin Blythe - C - Hawkeyes

Iowa redshirt senior C Austin Blythe is Pro Football Focus' No. 1 graded offensive lineman for run blocking at +21.3.

Blythe has been ridiculous, a sledgehammer in the interior behind which the Hawkeyes send an ever-changing assortment of running backs. Iowa recently became the first team since 1996 to have two different running backs rush for 200 yards in a game (Akrum Wadley and Jordan Canzeri did so in back-to-back weeks over the past two games. Looking closer at Wadley and Canzeri's combined 462 yards in those two games, a mere 171 came after contact, which means 63 percent were gained before a defender so much as laid a finger on the ball carrier. The 7-0 Hawkeyes are a darkhorse playoff contender not because of skill position talent, but because of a superb offensive line and a stingy defense.
Source: Pro Football Focus
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:May be a moot point with Easton, but perhaps not. Someone to keep an eye on as possible C/G prospect.

Austin Blythe - C - Hawkeyes

Iowa redshirt senior C Austin Blythe is Pro Football Focus' No. 1 graded offensive lineman for run blocking at +21.3.

Blythe has been ridiculous, a sledgehammer in the interior behind which the Hawkeyes send an ever-changing assortment of running backs. Iowa recently became the first team since 1996 to have two different running backs rush for 200 yards in a game (Akrum Wadley and Jordan Canzeri did so in back-to-back weeks over the past two games. Looking closer at Wadley and Canzeri's combined 462 yards in those two games, a mere 171 came after contact, which means 63 percent were gained before a defender so much as laid a finger on the ball carrier. The 7-0 Hawkeyes are a darkhorse playoff contender not because of skill position talent, but because of a superb offensive line and a stingy defense.
Source: Pro Football Focus
Cool. Thanks for the heads up DP. I love hearing from folks about some of the top players in their programs, especially when we aren't talking about Ohio State or Alabama etc.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: Cool. Thanks for the heads up DP. I love hearing from folks about some of the top players in their programs, especially when we aren't talking about Ohio State or Alabama etc.
I'm quite surprised at Iowa's play this season to be perfectly honest, especially given the injuries they keep sustaining. Their offensive line has been downright dominant, no matter who is running the ball. And their defense is playing lights out. I'm still peeved at losing Drew Ott to an ACL, though. He was their best pass rusher. Desmond King has been no joke at corner, either. His ball skills are impressive and he's an asset in the return game. I'm pretty sure his six interceptions rank second in the FBS. Keep an eye on him throughout the season and into the combine.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: I'm quite surprised at Iowa's play this season to be perfectly honest, especially given the injuries they keep sustaining. Their offensive line has been downright dominant, no matter who is running the ball. And their defense is playing lights out. I'm still peeved at losing Drew Ott to an ACL, though. He was their best pass rusher. Desmond King has been no joke at corner, either. His ball skills are impressive and he's an asset in the return game. I'm pretty sure his six interceptions rank second in the FBS. Keep an eye on him throughout the season and into the combine.
Iowa seems to be one of the few schools turning out offensive linemen who are "ready" for the pro game. I remember hearing that they get the kind of coaching college linemen rarely get anymore, but that is similar to they type of coaching the NFL tries to instill. I certainly wouldn't mind bringing in someone like Blythe based on what I know of him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins