Redskins name Cousins week 1 starter?

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@diannaESPNRedskins have named Kirk Cousins starting QB for week 1 per source.
I've heard of quarterback and organizational dysfunction but holy cow...what is happening in D.C.? Was it just three years ago the Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second rounder to move up to select him? I wonder if they mask this in their weird "concussion" lie or if they come out and just say they believe Cousins gives them the best chance to win. Reports are out that they made several calls to see about a trade and got no takers (you have to believe their asking price was too high. I mean, how does a team like the Jets, Bills, Browns or Texans not make some kind of offer?). It seems like when Gruden came to town everything fell apart. It has always felt like Griffen was a poor fit for Gruden's offense. I think he's a better player than what he's shown, though the injuries have contributed.

I'm struggling to find a better example of quarterback mismanagement and am having a tough time. RGIII needs a fresh start.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Redskins name Cousins week 1 starter?

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: I've heard of quarterback and organizational dysfunction but holy cow...what is happening in D.C.? Was it just three years ago the Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second rounder to move up to select him? I wonder if they mask this in their weird "concussion" lie or if they come out and just say they believe Cousins gives them the best chance to win. Reports are out that they made several calls to see about a trade and got no takers (you have to believe their asking price was too high. I mean, how does a team like the Jets, Bills, Browns or Texans not make some kind of offer?). It seems like when Gruden came to town everything fell apart. It has always felt like Griffen was a poor fit for Gruden's offense. I think he's a better player than what he's shown, though the injuries have contributed.

I'm struggling to find a better example of quarterback mismanagement and am having a tough time. RGIII needs a fresh start.
RGIII isn't a leader and he can't take responsibility for anything. Nobody would trade for that contract. Somebody will take a chance on him as a FA.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I hadn't considered the contract. This year is pretty reasonable at just over $3 million. 2016 jumps to $16.2 million. It'd be nuts if they outright cut him. But this is the Redskins so...maybe.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I've always been a big fan of RGIII. I do think he's a leader - he destroyed his knee trying to lead his team. He reportedly works hard. I just think that if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree he's going to spend his whole life thinking he's stupid.

So...throw him in the lake or something.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Wow. Gruden all-in with Cousins.
@AlbertBreer Jay Gruden says Kirk Cousins "is the best quarterback on our roster at this time. ... He's earned the right to be our starter for 2015."
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

i don't understand why coaches insist on taking QBs like RGIII and Cam Newton and making them pocket passers. They are so athletically gifted and neither are as bad of passers as people claim.
With that said, Gruden is a grade-A ####. I read comments about him and Redskin fans hate him. It makes me appreciate Zimmer that much more.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:i don't understand why coaches insist on taking QBs like RGIII and Cam Newton and making them pocket passers.
I think it stems from there not being a very long track record of successful, dual-threat quarterbacks. Plus, there's also heightened injury risk. I can see being a coach and not wanting to risk your season (and job?) by giving your first-round quarterback (in Newton's case a $118 million man) a ton of designed carries. That said, I think RGIII in Philly would be fun.
They are so athletically gifted and neither are as bad of passers as people claim.
I think they're pretty good quarterbacks. Newton will struggle some this season with a lack of receiving weapons around him.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Lol.

But, tbh, it is hard to say St. Louis actually won that trade. They got some good players who I respect, but they are still a team that hasn't had a winning record in, what, 10 years almost?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:I've always been a big fan of RGIII. I do think he's a leader - he destroyed his knee trying to lead his team. He reportedly works hard. I just think that if you judge a fish on his ability to climb a tree he's going to spend his whole life thinking he's stupid.

So...throw him in the lake or something.
I would agree with you that he's been misused, but he always throws his teammates under the bus when he struggles. and IMO, he faked an injury after a bad play in the preseason that pretty much killed him in the locker room. He's done as a Redskin. they aren't going to get anything for him, so it'll be interesting to see if they keep him in the locker room and invite a media circus all season, or cut bait and possibly see him go to a division rival who might actually use him better.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I would agree with you that he's been misused, but he always throws his teammates under the bus when he struggles. and IMO, he faked an injury after a bad play in the preseason that pretty much killed him in the locker room. He's done as a Redskin. they aren't going to get anything for him, so it'll be interesting to see if they keep him in the locker room and invite a media circus all season, or cut bait and possibly see him go to a division rival who might actually use him better.
After the rookie season he had, who would have thought we'd end up here?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: After the rookie season he had, who would have thought we'd end up here?
Its pretty crazy. I know the "running QB" can't make it through a season but throughout NFL history it always seems these guys are better when they remain running QBs than they are when they try to transition to pocket passers. Its a little amazing to me, given how hard it is to find a manning, brady, brees, etc, that teams haven't tried stockpiling a few running QBs, knowing they will get injured, and just run an offense built around their abilities.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

It will be interesting if the Redskins struggle in the season if they go back to RG3 or not ...

I know the owner wanted to stick with him, at first

I believe RG3 makes a huge salary next season ..I can't see him riding the bench and earning that,
you never know the Redskins make some weird moves.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!