Danny Shelton a force

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Danny Shelton a force

Post by jackal »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... the-making

This was the guy I really wanted and it's looking like the he is a major force bull rusher..

IMO this guy could be as disruptive as John Randle was for us inside, someday ...

Hopefully Waynes is a stud.. I know Rhodes took a while to develop.

"Danny Shelton changes the math -- he takes on two offensive linemen every time," Browns inside linebacker Karlos Dansby told Jones. "Usually you get a one-on-one situation. But you have to put two people on him. If you put one guy on him, it's going to be hard to get a first down if you do."
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Danny Shelton a force

Post by dead_poet »

I'm with you. I would've preferred Shelton to Waynes but our defensive tackle depth was/is pretty good and pretty young. Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:I'm with you. I would've preferred Shelton to Waynes but our defensive tackle depth was/is pretty good and pretty young. Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
As you mentioned DT position (Joseph, Johnson and Floyd is pretty good, in fact a whole lot better than good and CB was a must.
People need to be patient with Waynes because IMO he will follow Rhode's path (first year big learning curve and then the next year will be solid to great) :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Still...those Vince Wilfork/Pat Williams guys don't come around all the time.
I think he is going to be closer to a John Randle guy in the end.. He is very quick and can't split defenders
while reaching out to grab a guy and bring him down with one arm.

With Floyd Shelton Griffen and Robison /Crighton/Hunter .. my God, we would have been sacking and driving QB's
nuts..
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

jackal wrote: I think he is going to be closer to a John Randle guy in the end.. He is very quick and can't split defenders
while reaching out to grab a guy and bring him down with one arm.

With Floyd Shelton Griffen and Robison /Crighton/Hunter .. my God, we would have been sacking and driving QB's
nuts..
And still be seeing that left side CB position (maybe the worst in the league) continue to give up huge plays.
To each their own though. I loved the Waynes pick and it will pay-off big time when Rhodes and he morph into a pair of big, strong, fast shutdown corners dealing with the NFC North.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Purple bruise wrote: And still be seeing that left side CB position (maybe the worst in the league) continue to give up huge plays.
To each their own though. I loved the Waynes pick and it will pay-off big time when Rhodes and he morph into a pair of big, strong, fast shutdown corners dealing with the NFC North.
Josh Robinson wasn't even close to the worst left CB in the league last year. He's had a pretty decent year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DK Sweets wrote:Josh Robinson wasn't even close to the worst left CB in the league last year. He's had a pretty decent year.
I like Josh Robinson :confused:

He started bad...and I mean BAD. He then improved, and improved some more. He had a very bad game against Chicago and Brandon Marshall last year. He's not a guy that should be covering Brandon Marshall. But that doesn't mean he hasn't developed into a pretty good CB. I'll be curious to see if he makes his way back from injury and where he ultimately winds up.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: I like Josh Robinson :confused:

He started bad...and I mean BAD. He then improved, and improved some more. He had a very bad game against Chicago and Brandon Marshall last year. He's not a guy that should be covering Brandon Marshall. But that doesn't mean he hasn't developed into a pretty good CB. I'll be curious to see if he makes his way back from injury and where he ultimately winds up.
Josh Robinson has gotten beaten as badly as any corner since Chris Cook. He may/might work out as a "slot corner" or nickle back but please do not tell me that he is a good corner back :? :?

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Purple bruise wrote:
Josh Robinson has gotten beaten as badly as any corner since Chris Cook. He may/might work out as a "slot corner" or nickle back but please do not tell me that he is a good corner back :? :?
I thought he played pretty good last season. Don't you think he's improved a lot since his first year?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: I thought he played pretty good last season. Don't you think he's improved a lot since his first year?
He absolutely has improved BUT the coaches and management IMO would not have spent a high 1st round pick on Waynes if they thought that he would turn out to be a starting quality CB.

jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think in time Waynes and Cook will make a really good tandem of Corners ...

I think out team would have stood a better chance or winning a in the next two or three
seasons with Shelton.. a much better chance
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

jackal wrote:I think in time Waynes and Cook will make a really good tandem of Corners ...
Dream big. :P
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Funkytown wrote: Dream big. :P
:lol:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Count me in as one of the people who thought that the team should have drafted Shelton too...

Wanyes has a lot of work to do. Hopefully, he pans out.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Count me in as one of the people who thought that the team should have drafted Shelton too...
I liked that idea too. I think he could end up being a very good NFL player.