Preseason Week 1- Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Minnesota Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Preseason Week 1- Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Minnesota Viki

Post by dead_poet »

Hasan's Recap/observations: http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... hilis-r657

Thompson's take: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/8/10/ ... ket-report

CC Norseman: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/8/10/ ... what-i-saw

I haven't gotten through the entire game yet but from what I've seen so far encouraging from Kalil, Cole, Hodges, Tom Johnson, Wal$h (kickoffs) and Rudolph (yey for one series analysis!). Rudolph looks a step quicker (and leaner) and I think quarterbacks really underestimate Cole's length. While I like Kendricks a lot and think his ceiling is a bit higher than Cole in pass defense I think Cole is making a case to be the starter at MLB at least in base and potentially in nickel as well. My anger towards Jeff Locke is resuming where it left off last season. I'm growing frustrated at the lack of someone stepping up at safety.

I'm assuming Hill was rested because the coaching staff knows what they have in him.

I have to go back and look at Harris but how did he look at guard?

Hopefully we got through this game healthier than the Steelers. Any injuries of note?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks. I got a kick out of Thompson's take, from the Blindspot comments to the anecdote about his daughter. :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Thanks. I got a kick out of Thompson's take, from the Blindspot comments to the anecdote about his daughter. :)

This was some advice from him that we can all heed here in the coming week:
Sell: Speaking in absolutes when it comes to final roster moves after one preseason game. For instance: Marcus Sherels is definitely gone because of that one Stefon Diggs return. Or Waynes is a "huge project" or a "bust" because he struggled in his first action at a position that might be the hardest to learn in the modern NFL. Or Chase Ford is absolutely off the team because of his bobble that led to an interception and Pruitt's TD. Pump your brakes, kids. There's still a lot of football to be played before the final 53 is announced.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:
This was some advice from him that we can all heed here in the coming week:
Absolutely sound advise. This was only the first preseason game and it was against a Steeler team that sat most of its better players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:This was some advice from him that we can all heed here in the coming week:
Yes, I'd say we could all stand to heed that advice for the next month or so. :)
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Not Concerned about Waynes at all, I like his Fire, looks a lot like Rhodes during his rookie year.

Kalil looked surprisingly good in that first series. (PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BE TRUE)

Diggs Is a freaking Rockstar

The first time in years......We have good linebacker Depth.

Teddy looks a lot more comfortable going through progressions this year compared to last year, he isn't drinking from the firehouse any longer and the games has definitely slowed down for him.

Not Worried about Walsh either.

Bye Locke
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Plenty for Trae Waynes to learn from Sunday's preseason opener: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... rom-sunday
But Sunday night was a snapshot of how much Waynes will have to learn. He played almost the entire game Sunday, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings give him a similar amount of playing time in ensuing weeks. They've got four more preseason games to use as teaching tools, and there'll be plenty for them to go over with the Michigan State product from Sunday night.
Teddy Bridgewater solid as Vikings win preseason opener
Maybe that dude could start: Linebacker Audie Cole got the start at middle linebacker, ahead of second-round pick Eric Kendricks, and Cole did plenty to suggest he could hold onto the job. He made a nice play to tip a pass, even though it wound up in the hands of Sammie Coates, and crunched C.J. Goodwin to force a fumble that Antone Exum recovered. It's possible the Vikings could work Kendricks into their nickel package, even if they do start Cole in the base. But Cole, who has turned heads when he has had chances to play, got off to a strong start.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... son-opener
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

• DT Tom Johnson's foot on the gas: Johnson, who signed a three-year extension in March, continued his upward trajectory under Zimmer. He was a little-known journeyman before arriving in Minnesota and he's been wreaking havoc on passing downs ever since. Against backup offensive linemen, Johnson forced two quarterback hurries and one sack, which came off a stunt on one of the many Zimmer blitzes on the night. The Vikings weren't afraid to send extra pressure in the first exhibition, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still considered vanilla for Zimmer's often complex looks. Johnson is coming off a career-best 6.5 sacks as a rotational three-technique defensive tackle.

• DT Shamar Stephen was active: He finished with a team-high five tackles, including a sack on 3rd-and-3. He would've had six tackles, but missed Cameron Stingily in the backfield on a 4th-and-1 run. Stephen, a 2014 seventh-round pick, is a versatile nose/three-technique tackle who earned the nickname 'Big Fundamental' last season from coaches. He's one to watch as the Vikings cultivate some formidable depth at defensive tackle.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Note ... ener080915
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@eric_j_thompson
Top 5 rated #Vikings defensive players from @PFF:
1. Trattou +5.0
2. Johnson +4.8
3. Stephen +2.3
4. Watts +1.4
5. Cole +1.3
‏@eric_j_thompson
Bottom 5 rated #Vikings defensive players from @PFF:
5. Carter -0.8
4. Rayford -1.2
T2. Exum
Peters -1.3
1. Waynes -4.6
@eric_j_thompson Of course, but the ratings agree with my opinions of last night's game so I will treat them as gospel.
[sarcasm, obviously]
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Why in gods name is Kafka in???
The first two QB slots are set. I am pretty sure we will get a good dose of Kafka and Heineke thru the preseason as the coaches figure out which guy will fill the third QB spot.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I hate to say it, but I think it is very possible we have seen the last of Marcus Sherels as the Punt Returner, and therefore possibly on the team. I like him a lot because he always works as hard as he possibly can, but man, Diggs really looks good.
I like Sherels too. If Diggs does replace him as our PR guy, Sherels will be picked up immediately by another team. He is still one of the best PR guys in the league.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Preseason Week 1- Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Minnesota Vikings

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Dont read this board for thought on how Waynes did. He did fine. He's a damn rookoe and people are already calling him a bust. That kind of BS should result in a ban, imo.
I'm sorry, I just couldn't let this go.

I double checked every post in this thread and nobody has said he is a bust. One person said they thought he would be a bust and tonight he looked poor, but literally nobody said he is a bust.

Many people mentioned he had some rough plays. This is a fair criticism. Mike defended Waynes on the PI call (I will respectfully disagree with his analysis; I thought it was close and the ref could have kept the flag in his pocket, but I thought it was a fair call) and many have said they still expect him to improve greatly.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Nobody should be banned for their opinions, especially when they did not say what you are accusing them of saying.

[EDIT:] I hope I don't come across as high and mighty. I don't remember ever having an issue with you, Josh, and this is absolutely nothing personal. I just feel like many of us have been a little worked up at one point or another over people not seeing things the same way we do, and in those instances we need to exercise a bit of restraint.

This is a great place to discuss football and I think it is every members' obligation to police ourselves in moments of passion.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Upon watching the starters' series again, thought it was a good start for #Vikings' OL. Mike Harris held his own in first start at RG.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: [sarcasm, obviously]
Interesting. I wasn't watching Peters on every down but he was one of the backup defenders who really stood out to me in a positive way.