Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fined

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Deflategate: Brady suspended, Pats lose draft picks & fi

Post by PurpleMustReign »

TSonn wrote:The part that really irritates me is that the NFL is putting on this facade of "keeping the integrity of the game in tact" with this suspension/penalty when, in reality, the most ethical thing to do would have been to check the ball pressure right before the start of the game and not allow potentially deflated balls in play at all.

That's the NFL prioritizing setting up a trap over the integrity of the (AFC Championship) game.
That and they clearly have no clue what they are doing with punishments. It's embarrassing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think its time for Goodell to go.

This is what happens when a major entity starts thrashing around trying to follow public opinion. It winds up twisting itself into pretzels. The NFL has lost any semblance of organizational dignity under Goodell. The game is bigger than the league, and at this point that's what's keeping the NFL from suffering any monetary consequences to their pathetic behavior.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I could give a little bit of a pass for a few missteps as head of the biggest sports league during the advent of social media, but they've crossed the line to a point where they don't appear to have a spine, and just randomly pick a place to draw a line in the sand. Replacing Goodell will help, but they need to establish a framework for how they deal with these things organizationally that makes sense and isn't just arbitrary or they will wind up in the same spot.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Re: Judge Berman: "I’m trying to figure out what is the direct evidence that implicates Mr. Brady in that deflation…in that bathroom…on Jan. 18"
‏@McCannSportsLaw Very telling Judge Berman's asking Qs about (lack of) evidence rather than application of CBA. These Qs favor Brady.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

They don't need his phone to get his messages.. the get those records in criminal trails now, all the time.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@AdamSchefter Roger Goodell, Tom Brady and lawyers met today in settlement talks with Magistrate Judge James Francis, but "got nowhere", per source.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Judge has already threatened both sides, "you don't want making a decsion, figure it out, yourselves!"

I wonder what does the judge have the power to do?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:The Judge has already threatened both sides, "you don't want making a decsion, figure it out, yourselves!"

I wonder what does the judge have the power to do?
As King mentioned, Judge Berman, who is overseeing the case, can't decide if Brady is guilty or not — only if the punishment is fair. He can help push along settlement talks and hint that one side should accept a settlement, but ultimately, his decision is to decide whether the punishment should stand.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-tom- ... z3jDA5T3Ax
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@BenVolin UPDATE: Hearing over after 2:15. No settlement. Judge Berman was very, very critical of NFL. Brady/NFLPA are making a good case
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
I get the feeling this isn't going to work out well for Goodell and the NFL.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I get the feeling this isn't going to work out well for Goodell and the NFL.
I sense it's going to rule in favor of Brady OR (and I still think this is more likely) the judge will be forced to rule for the NFL because of the wording of CBA, not necessarily because he believes Brady was guilty.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:I sense it's going to rule in favor of Brady OR (and I still think this is more likely) the judge will be forced to rule for the NFL because of the wording of CBA, not necessarily because he believes Brady was guilty.
Thats the sense I get, too. I have this gut feeling that the Judge would like to rule in favor of Brady but legally will have to rule for the league. I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

DK Sweets wrote:Thats the sense I get, too. I have this gut feeling that the Judge would like to rule in favor of Brady but legally will have to rule for the league. I'm hoping I'm wrong.
CBA does not allow for suspensions for messing with equipment. So, if the judge would rule on the CBA, the only thing the NFL could do to Brady is fine him. I think the max is like $15,000 or something like that.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Raptorman wrote: CBA does not allow for suspensions for messing with equipment. So, if the judge would rule on the CBA, the only thing the NFL could do to Brady is fine him. I think the max is like $15,000 or something like that.
Do you have the specific wording of that rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

frosted wrote: Do you have the specific wording of that rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First number is for first offense, second is for additional offense. Comes from NFL.com. This is an equipment issue at most. Like using stick-em.
Uniform
Foreign Substances on Body/Uniform $8,681 $17,363
Chin Straps $8,681 $11,576
Personal Messages $5,787 $11,576
(Additional fines may be imposed on team management and coaching staffs for condoning, permitting, etc., violations in this area)
Other Uniform/Equipment Violations $5,787 $11,576
http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/fines-appeals/
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966