Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Sounds like Everson Griffen really had his way with Kalil today (and for the 2nd day in a row). That doesn't concern me that much because it's very early in camp and Griffen is one of the top edge rushers in the league. However, I'm also reading tweets where rookie Danielle Hunter and journeyman Justin Trattou were also lighting him up. That's a different story.

It's just the second full-pads practice so it's way too early to read too much into it. Sort of disappointing though. I was hoping Kalil would come out strong and establish his confidence early on. Still can happen.

Wonder what the backup plan is for LT? I don't see anyone on the roster that can play LT if Kalil goes down or his epic slide from last year continues unabated. Bykowski is listed as the backup on the depth chart but there's no way he's the answer (and is a long shot to make the roster). Clemmings? Not a chance. I suppose Mike Harris would be the guy we would plug in at LT and then have Berger-Thompson-Yankey to fill the RG spot. Wonder if they'll start giving Thompson some reps at LT. He played LT at Oklahoma. That could slow his development at RG and it's a lot to ask of a rookie to learn two positions (especially since he seems to have a legit shot at winning the RG spot).

Also ... what the heck is going on with our backup QBs? Do they all have noodle arms?
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Sounds like Everson Griffen really had his way with Kalil today (and for the 2nd day in a row). That doesn't concern me that much because it's very early in camp and Griffen is one of the top edge rushers in the league. However, I'm also reading tweets where rookie Danielle Hunter and journeyman Justin Trattou were also lighting him up. That's a different story.

It's just the second full-pads practice so it's way too early to read too much into it. Sort of disappointing though. I was hoping Kalil would come out strong and establish his confidence early on. Still can happen.

Wonder what the backup plan is for LT? I don't see anyone on the roster that can play LT if Kalil goes down or his epic slide from last year continues unabated. Bykowski is listed as the backup on the depth chart but there's no way he's the answer (and is a long shot to make the roster). Clemmings? Not a chance. I suppose Mike Harris would be the guy we would plug in at LT and then have Berger-Thompson-Yankey to fill the RG spot. Wonder if they'll start giving Thompson some reps at LT. He played LT at Oklahoma. That could slow his development at RG and it's a lot to ask of a rookie to learn two positions (especially since he seems to have a legit shot at winning the RG spot).

Also ... what the heck is going on with our backup QBs? Do they all have noodle arms?

I am very concerned about Kalil, this is his fourth year, guy should be a beast at this point. I think his confidence is shot, sometimes it can never be brought back to its former glory. We will see who the vikings will consider for the LT spot
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Also on the Same Post, I have heard that the backup QB's have been playing Terribly. Throwing Floaters, no ability to drive the ball down field. Combine Kalil with our current Backup QB's and pray that Teddy doesn't go down.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i know its early, but nothing i've read about waynes has been encouraging. when you take a person that high in the draft these types of observations are discouraging. the 11th pick? so far, it sounds like he should have been taken in he second round.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

It's going to be a learning process for Waynes. He's a rookie corner so he's going to have his struggles early. Based on what I've read, Zimmer seems to be throwing a lot at him right now too by having him take reps both outside and in the slot.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

mosscarter wrote:i know its early, but nothing i've read about waynes has been encouraging. when you take a person that high in the draft these types of observations are discouraging. the 11th pick? so far, it sounds like he should have been taken in he second round.

CB is one the top 3 positions in football that take the most time to develop (along with WR and QB). I wouldn't be overly worried about it, struggles are to be expected. Name the last really good rookie CB? I can't think of any.

Xavier Rhodes went through similar problems in camp as a rookie as well.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Lol. Second NFL practice and we are writing off the new players.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

"2015 will be my best year" Says AD
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-training- ... est-season
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
James
Rookie

Post by James »

Trae Waynes is going to be a stud. It about a year or two for a CB to really hone his skills as an outside corner. But that's why we have Newman who has had a pretty decent offseason so far. He is going to mentor Waynes. He may be able to start on the inside in nickel situations which they are putting him in now.

Either way, he's learning. He's had his welcome to the NFL moments and also has made some good plays in practice. I can't wait until he adjusts to the speed of the game.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Trae Waynes is going to be a stud. It about a year or two for a CB to really hone his skills as an outside corner. But that's why we have Newman who has had a pretty decent offseason so far. He is going to mentor Waynes. He may be able to start on the inside in nickel situations which they are putting him in now.

Either way, he's learning. He's had his welcome to the NFL moments and also has made some good plays in practice. I can't wait until he adjusts to the speed of the game.
In the long run it would be good for Waynes to learn all the small details and adjustments to Zimmers system..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Tyrus Thompson, so far, appears to be the current preseason SOD. They locked him in at RG and if Harris slips, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats out Yankey. I'd say the same for Diggs, but even with his talent I can't see him cracking the top three...this year.

Danielle Hunter sounds like he's been awfully good, too. The VT and DN writers have been awfully impressed with him at camp so far. Phil Loadholt doesn't seem to know who he is yet, though. :lol:

Just a little something about the guys who don't get talked about enough.
-Rus
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Good article! My favorite part was when they were talking about Brandon Bosticks hand... actually I chuckled to myself. Was that not the reason he was cut from the Packers? Stone hands on that onside kick?

Finally a little good news about the offensive line.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

mosscarter wrote:i know its early, but nothing i've read about waynes has been encouraging. when you take a person that high in the draft these types of observations are discouraging. the 11th pick? so far, it sounds like he should have been taken in he second round.

Rhodes struggled as a rookie as well CB is the second hardest position in the NFL learning wise. Zimmer will get him trained up.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thanks for posting!

Obviously news coming from the Vikings beat reporters are going to be slanted toward positive, but it really sounds like this could be a great year for us if Kalil can keep it halfway together.