Raider Legend Ken Stabler Passes

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Raider Legend Ken Stabler Passes

Post by jackal »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13230 ... rback-dies

John Madden,
"I was head coach of the Raiders the entire time Kenny was there and he led us to a whole bunch of victories including one in Super Bowl XI,
" former Raiders coach John Madden said in the team release. "I've often said, If I had one drive to win a game to this day, and I had a quarterback
to pick, I would pick Kenny. Snake was a lot cooler than I was. He was a perfect quarterback and a perfect Raider. When you think about the Raiders
you think about Ken Stabler. Kenny loved life. It is a sad day for all Raiders."

The Elias Sports Bureau notes that John Madden and Ken Stabler have the fourth-best win percentage by a head coach-quarterback combo in NFL history
(minimum 75 games) (.756), trailing only Bill Belichick and Tom Brady (.773), Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr (.770) and Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning (.759).
Stabler is the only quarterback who started and won a Super Bowl in the 1970s who isn’t a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He threw 150 touchdown
passes that decade, third-most of any quarterback. The other four quarterbacks in the top five are all in the Hall of Fame.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Raider Legend Ken Stabler Passes

Post by DanAS »

It's an absolute travesty that Stabler isn't in the Hall.

Half of his fricken' team from the mid 70s is in the Hall, and I'm sure they'd all tell you that Stabler was the team's MVP and heart and soul.

Just ridiculous that he's been excluded. Take it from the former captain of my high school math team -- a little (numbers) learning is a dangerous thing. This isn't the Hall of Stats. It's the Hall of Fame. And few people are associated with as many famous plays/games (Sea of Hands, Holy Roller, Ghost to the Post, Immaculate Reception) as the Snake.
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Raider Legend Ken Stabler Passes

Post by jackal »

IMO Few teams have annoyed NFL brass as the 70's raiders ....

A lawsuit to move to L.A. and then moving back....Davis enjoyed rubbing
the leagues nose in it.. he was a maverick

I'm sure several Raiders are paying for AL Davis's relationship with the leaque

I didn't watch a lot of football in that era, because I was very young and we didn't have
very many channels at the time. From what I have seen and heard from 70's players it
sounds as if Stabler belongs in the HOF.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!