Historic Photos

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Historic Photos

Post by Funkytown »

Since we recently made history with this:

I wanted to share a link that I stumbled across a few days ago. It has some really graphic photos (that are pretty hard to look at), but if you like history at all, and have 20-30 minutes to spare, I highly recommend looking through these photos. There are 117 of them. 

I'll share a few examples.

Glimpse Into Our Amazing Past With These Historic Photos

Martin Luther King Jr. removes a burnt cross from his yard.

Hiroshima – Before and After (1945)

A woman hides her face in shame as she puts her kids up for sale during the depression.

Elvis in the Army

Baby cages used to ensure that children get enough sunlight and fresh air when living in an apartment building, ca. 1937

Much, much more at the link: http://buzzlamp.com/glimpse-amazing-pas ... -photos/1/
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Historic Photos

Post by DK Sweets »

Those are really cool, but I couldn't get very far before the annoyance of one picture per page started killing me. Too many ads.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

DK Sweets wrote:Those are really cool, but I couldn't get very far before the annoyance of one picture per page started killing me. Too many ads.
:lol:

I know, that does suck. It definitely takes a while, but I thought it was worth it. Some of them are heartbreaking, though.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.reddit.com/r/ColorizedHistory

For anyone that really is interested in history, I recommend checking out this sub-reddit. This sub-reddit takes black and white photos in places them in living color.

Here is an example (this picture was taken in 1937. It is a picture of the numerous shanty towns, "Hoovervilles," outside of what appears to be Chicago):

A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I left a link with the WW2 sailor kiss and few others .. those were very historic IMO
Last edited by jackal on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:For anyone that really is interested in history, I recommend checking out this sub-reddit. This sub-reddit takes black and white photos in places them in living color.

Here is an example (this picture was taken in 1937. It is a picture of the numerous shanty towns, "Hoovervilles," outside of what appears to be Chicago):
I think that's Seattle, actually, but thanks for the link. Those pics are pretty fascinating.